Garbage Disposal jams

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2020, 08:04 AM

Our disposal and drain have never clogged in all the years we have been here. Could it be that you are putting things down the disposal/drain that most likely should be disposed of some other way? We have an Iris too!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Insinkerator Evolution, 1 HP 3 stage--simply the best
I second that response. Our original disposal became mechanically inoperative. I did a bit of research and determined that the Evolution was best for us.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:31 AM

I have had your problem on two homes in The Villages. In both cases I have had a plumber reroute the drain pipe from the garbage disposal. It was changed to drain directly into what I guess is a 1 1/2" line instead of connecting horizontally into the drain line from the other sink. Before this change water frequently came up so high from the sink next to the one with the garbage disposal that it could hit you in the face. (FYI with my first house, a plumber from the company that did the plumbing when the house was built said they connect the way they do so the owner could pay them to do it correctly. I had that one fixed for free!)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:04 AM

builders typically don't include the best equipment. myself, I'd get a higher quality replacement and avoid repeated problems.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage

If you have an Insinkerator Badger, the install of the evolution is very easy, save the power cord from the Badger, remove the twist off locking ring from the badger , after removing the plumbing--once the badger is out--the new evolution will fit in the same spot--install the power cord

The hardest part is lifting the evolution up ,I had to jack it up with some wood scraps
Old 02-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

First "appliance" thing we did when we moved in was replace the $69 disposal that was here and wouldn't even grind my fingers when I stuck them in with a heavy duty Insinkerator. Forgot the model but it even grinds my fingernails to dust perfectly. Plus the original one sounded like a freight train running through the kitchen the new one is soooo quiet.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If you have an Insinkerator Badger, the install of the evolution is very easy, save the power cord from the Badger, remove the twist off locking ring from the badger , after removing the plumbing--once the badger is out--the new evolution will fit in the same spot--install the power cord

The hardest part is lifting the evolution up ,I had to jack it up with some wood scraps

LOL, up north I used a floor jack and a book to lift the one we had there when we replaced the old one to hold it in place to twist it on. The thing must have weighted 30lbs. Gave us 14 years of good service. Wanted to take it with me when we moved down here. It would even grind stainless steel to dust. We always wondered where the missing soup spoons went.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did not read all the replies. I have use a "toilet" plunger and also use my garden hose. I would try the hose first. It puts more pressure than just running the water. I also will file both sinks with water before starting either of the above solutions. Helps rinse the stuff down the pipe.
Potato skins and coffee grounds were my problem so they go into the trash.
Never had to take the pipes apart to clean.
I also run the disposal when I am doing the above.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ice cubes once a week, with no water, works for me. Keeps my GD nice and clean.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-01-2020, 12:51 PM
Default Garbage disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Friend of mine who is a master plumber told me years ago that the best advice he could give me is "don't use it"
EXACTLY RIGHT! I use mine for thick liquids only, or very small shreds of vegetables. Anything else goes into the trash, or maybe into a plastic bag, then into the trash. Many folks think the disposal can grind up bulk material. I don't care how powerful the disposal is, that bulk material will eventually build up and get caught somewhere down the line.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Friend of mine who is a master plumber told me years ago that the best advice he could give me is "don't use it"
Well, his advice should have been "GET A GOOD ONE" not one of those $59 lightweight models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
EXACTLY RIGHT! I use mine for thick liquids only, or very small shreds of vegetables.

Been "disposing" for probably 25 years and have thrown everything "legal" at ithem and NEVER had a jam (other than from a bundle of stainless steel spoons). Unless you have one of those "bargain" models you are being overly cautious. Like anything else, there are cheaper much less powerful models that won't dispose a tomato and expensive top of the line high power heavy duty models that will eat up a whole chicken including bones like Larry The Crocodile would have done for lunch
Old 02-02-2020, 03:28 AM
Sage

Spare rib bones , chicken bones, lamb chop bones -Nooo Problem
Old 02-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Just understand what it is that is clogging the drain and do not put that type of garbage in the disposal. I have learned that 'egg shells' seem to clog the line so I do not put egg shells in the disposal.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Have you ever dumped plenty of ice in it. A plumber told us it sharpens the blades. I just empty the ice catcher in the freezer into it and run it. I also run the water at the same time.
Closed Thread

Tags
solution, main, drain, disposal, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.