gas dryer in garage

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2020, 08:08 AM
Default gas dryer in garage

gas dryer located in garage. going to replace, made aware of a code that states dryer should be 18 inches above ground. anyone had any experience in replacing?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsterdad View Post
gas dryer located in garage. going to replace, made aware of a code that states dryer should be 18 inches above ground. anyone had any experience in replacing?
I haven't had experience replacing a dryer in the garage but I do have a concern about this code.......
If the dryer is 18" about the ground, the washer would also have to be 18" above the ground so they will be the same height next to each other. With a top loading washer, it seems it would be very difficult to reach the bottom of the washer drum when unloading the clothes. That does not bode well for a top loading washing machine.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:12 PM

i finally found out from the sumter county building codes is that the ignition source must be 18" above the floor, not the whole dryer.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
i finally found out from the sumter county building codes is that the ignition source must be 18" above the floor, not the whole dryer.
That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Yes - that's true. When we replaced the washer and dryer in the garage, and I wanted to stay with gas for the dryer, we purchased matching stands for with a pull-out drawer. It increased the cost by $500 for the two, but the drawers have come in handy for detergent and other laundry/cleaning supplies.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJ1657 View Post
Yes - that's true. When we replaced the washer and dryer in the garage, and I wanted to stay with gas for the dryer, we purchased matching stands for with a pull-out drawer. It increased the cost by $500 for the two, but the drawers have come in handy for detergent and other laundry/cleaning supplies.
What is true? The original poster stated that it is the connection that must be 18" above the ground, not the whole appliance.

Tags
dryer, gas, garage, experience, ground

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.