Gas Home or All-Electric?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 AM

We bought 2011 home in Buttonwood. This area is "all electric". Wanting a gas range required us to install a propane tank. We also wanted a home generator. After getting the ARC approvals etc. we now have a 250 gallon propane tank buried and hooked up to a) 22kw generator; b)gas range; and c) gas grill. Note: all natural gas appliances are shipped from the manufacturer with a propane conversion kit - so no issue there. Vendors used: Trademark Electric and Fireplace Installers. Excellent work performed. If/when we replace the HVAC a propane furnace is an option as is a gas water heater.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Induction stoves, which are electric, behave very similar to gas stoves. If you find the right electric home just switch out the stove. All the major appliance companies make these.

I purchased an induction range about two years ago. Very, very happy. Easy to clean, does not cook the food onto the top of the range. Does not heat the air, just the pan.

You do need good, magnetic cookware, and the range will cost around $3,000. I expect the price will drop as they become more popular.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

I’ve read some possible problems with induction... cancer... did not get it for that reason. Might be a small factor only.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
My wife is totally hooked on gas stoves and clothes dryer and I prefer a gas furnace.

Homes in The Villages do not have a furnace. You have A/C which doubles as a heat pump. Its electric. Some areas have gas for other appliances.
The statement that homes do no have a furnace can be misleading. All homes in The Villages likely have a heating source of some source. May be solar, electric resistance, heat pump, gas or other. We have gas available and have a furnace combined with our AC system. If gas is not available, you could have either a heat pump with electric resistance heat, or if available heat resistance only. Perhaps solar.

My experience with electric resistance. Very expensive and slow to heat. Experience with heat pump was slow to heat (air from vents not hot but warm) probably OK here. Did not work well in Charleston, SC. Needed electrical resistance (expensive) as supplement. Gas most effective if available. Can use for heat, hot water and cooking. There is a monthly service fee so if for heating only may be a higher expense.

Our experience is that heating is not needed often but when wanted it is great to have quick (if short ) relief.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I’ve read some possible problems with induction... cancer... did not get it for that reason. Might be a small factor only.
That cancer 'rumour' has been disproved over and over.
Been using induction for years, and would not be without it.
Fastest, cleanest, safest cooking we have ever had.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, past, home, wife, furnace

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.