A couple of questions...

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Veteran member
Default A couple of questions...

Some of you on here have lived in FL for awhile. I've been hearing birds chirping quite happily all night this week. This isn't a phenomenon I experienced up north. Has anyone else been aware of this?? Is this a sign of Spring in Florida and will they continue???
Also when exactly does Spring begin here? Yes I know what the calendar says...but there seems a HUGE difference, again to what we were used to. It's a bit strange going from a very distinct 4 seasons when you knew exactly what and when items would be planted and grow. Here seems to be almost a perpetual summer (save for the few weeks of colder weather). Just my observation.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

bump....
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Sage

We had our hundreds of Robins earlier this week (or was it last week?) in Atlanta, so they're headed your way.

JenAjd,
I haven't lived in FL., but in ATL it varies quite a bit from year to year. Usually, it's sometime in March. It's been in the 70s here this week, but that is earlier than typical and no doubt it will get cool again before winter says farewell.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM

We too have been kept awake all night by a particular mockingbird over the last few weeks. Last night it began chirping at 1 AM and continued through 5:30 AM. In 4 years, I've not noticed this previously. Usually they begin around 5:00 am.
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage
Default Or maybe you just slept through it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
We too have been kept awake all night by a particular mockingbird over the last few weeks. Last night it began chirping at 1 AM and continued through 5:30 AM. In 4 years, I've not noticed this previously. Usually they begin around 5:00 am.
You're not... mocking them are you?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Birds call to defend their territory and declare it 'theirs'. There are some birds that come out at night and call, although, if there are lights around that are on during the night (and also during times of sufficient moon brightness) mocking birds can be active at night. They're especially prone to staying up and calling all night where there is artificial light (such as parking lots) that provide sufficient illumination throughout the night. The deal is, if they aren't calling, then they may lose their turf or have to fight for it. So they call to ensure that during the breeding season, they let every other male bird around know that this area is claimed and that everyone else should just move on somewhere else.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
You're not... mocking them are you? ........The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

So mockingbirds it must be....it's MORE than just one!!! I'd say a whole flock of them in our neighborhood. I would expect the lights that we all have in our front-yards along with street lamps give off enough light to make it brighter for these critters. Guess I will close up the house (it's been nice to have windows open this week) to buffer some of their noise.

Second question would be....are we actually in "early Spring" here now?? I see folks planting things in their yards etc. It's hard to get used to a different way of doing things such as that here. Planting season in my "home area" isn't til mid-to-late May!! :-) SO much more enjoy it here in FL!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.