Anyone know if the homes in Fenney are built using metal studs?

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Default Anyone know if the homes in Fenney are built using metal studs?

We're moving into our frame and vinyl courtyard villa in Jan. and was wondering if anyone knows if metal studs are used anywhere in the construction?

I'm a northerner and never had to deal with metal. Here to hang something I just screw in a plastic molly in drywall, or if I hit a stud I drill and put a screw in it.

But how do you hang things if you run into a metal stud. Do you just drill through. I'm assuming special drill bits are needed? Then what kind of fastener do you use? Do you have to use toggles or can you still screw in a molly or something?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is all new to us northerners and I'm trying to figure out what tools etc I need to bring.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, you can contact Sumter County building department to get the exact plans for your house, which will show where metal studs are used. As for mounting items to these studs, I have used small pilot drills and then sheet metal screws. Do NOT use plastic expanding inserts as these will get cutoff at the metal stud and may not provide the holding power you need, I know this from experience. Toggle bolts, or the metal expansion types can also be used. There are several people (handymen) that have a lot of experience in this area if you have an especially heavy item.
On a side note, double check the closet wire racks if you decide to keep these, only about 25% of the mounts and supports where into studs (metal), and I had to redo all of the mountings. This is where I had the problem with the plastic insets getting cutoff.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Tango View Post
We're moving into our frame and vinyl courtyard villa in Jan. and was wondering if anyone knows if metal studs are used anywhere in the construction?

I'm a northerner and never had to deal with metal. Here to hang something I just screw in a plastic molly in drywall, or if I hit a stud I drill and put a screw in it.

But how do you hang things if you run into a metal stud. Do you just drill through. I'm assuming special drill bits are needed? Then what kind of fastener do you use? Do you have to use toggles or can you still screw in a molly or something?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is all new to us northerners and I'm trying to figure out what tools etc I need to bring.

You can hang pictures, mirrors, tv's etc. by avoiding the studs and using Snap Toggle bolts. There are various sizes available and some are rated for heavy weight. My 46 inch tv is mounted using these bolts and they hold up to 165 lbs. YouTube has "how to" videos.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

For light to medium weight hangings, I just use monkey hooks. Amazon has a kit for various weights. They’re cheap and I’ve never had a problem.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 AM
Veteran member

All homes in The Villages are built with metal studs.
We like the sturdiness of wood studs (among other reasons) and when we had our house built, we paid extra for wood.
Personally, I have never like metal studs; one reason is that the outlets eventually become loose.

I have heard others say negative things about wood such as in a fire or regarding termites, but wood wins no matter what.
If you have a fire, the house will still burn and if termites are a possibility, no matter what -- you will still get them!
If you have a choice -- go with wood!
Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
We like the sturdiness of wood studs (among other reasons) and when we had our house built, we paid extra for wood.
Personally, I have never like metal studs; one reason is that the outlets eventually become loose.

I have heard others say negative things about wood such as in a fire or regarding termites, but wood wins no matter what.
If you have a fire, the house will still burn and if termites are a possibility, no matter what -- you will still get them!
Mrs Robinson I have four loose outlets that support your conclusion.

We purchased in 2006 and it was use it or lose it. Use the opportunity to buy or will sell it to the next couple in line.

consequently I didn't even know they used metal studs until I hit one one day

I wish I hd the option to build to my specs back then
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

[QUOTE=Mrs. Robinson;1492231]All homes in The Villages are built with metal studs.

All homes are NOT built with metal studs in TV. You can drive around Fenney and see that most are wood.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

I learn something new every day. I had no idea my little patio villa had metal studs. I got a TV wall mount coming from Amazon to use on my TV in my bedroom. I was hoping to anchor the tv mount to a stud. Now I have to avoid studs.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I mounted a TV in the guest BR last summer on the wall using this bracket which only required one stud. It holds TV's up to 55" but my TV was only 42". I found there is a combination of wood and metal in my CYV built in 2011.

Near the top edge of the closet door was metal, but about 18" above the closet my stud finder found wood. I mounted the TV there, but was maybe a foot higher than I liked. Then when I went to bury the wires using a kit I bought from Home Depot, I found metal studs to the right side of the closet after I had made the circle hole and ran my arm down the wall a bit. I was able to move the wires a little higher and missed the studs. It came out pretty good and the wall mounting bracket was only $26 plus free shipping on Amazon.

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com: Mounting Dream MD2377 TV Wall Mount Bracket for most of 26-55 Inch LED, LCD, OLED Flat Screen TV with Full Motion Swivel Articulating Arm up to VESA 400x400mm and 60 lbs with Tilting: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you have doubts you can always call Villages AV, I used them to help with my attic antenna when I had trouble finding the right cables from the Directv cables. They are pros at mounting TV's and burying wires.

Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida
Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Homes are built with metal studs and wood studs here in The Villages.. They are built to code. I think they are built well. We have had seven homes built for us in our life including our first home when we were 22 and 23. We had been working for four years and saved the down payment.

I do not know why there are a couple of people who always, always, want to say negative things about this place.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukka.

I spelled that wrong but my heart means kind wishes.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-19-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=vintageogauge;1492254][QUOTE=Mrs.

All homes are NOT built with metal studs in TV. You can drive around Fenney and see that most are wood.[/QUOTE]

You are ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY right.

We have wood studs and I have pictures of them while they built it.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Default "Toggler Snaptoggle" Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I learn something new every day. I had no idea my little patio villa had metal studs. I got a TV wall mount coming from Amazon to use on my TV in my bedroom. I was hoping to anchor the tv mount to a stud. Now I have to avoid studs.
Thanks for the info.
My four year old designer home has both metal and wood studs. Criteria unknown, but it seems longer spans of wallboard get metal and areas needing more strength get wood.
Mount your TV wherever you want it.
If you center on a wood stud, perfect! If hollow wall or metal stud just drill through and use "Toggler Snaptoggle." Strongest and easiest I've ever used. Two sizes available locally at both Home Depot and Lowes.

Toggler Snaptoggle | Anchor Bolts,Toggle Bolt, Toggle Bolts

(I just noticed that post #3 by Bagboy already mentioned these. Sorry Bagboy.)

Last edited by HiHoSteveO; 12-19-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add last line
Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thanks for the info.
Do not avoid the metal stud, it is stronger than just drywall, just use the proper mounting technique. The molly bolt or toggle bolt are very good for metal studs if you are concerned a sheet metal screw will not work, especially for something heavy like a TV mount.
You can also contact the TV audio visual company (advertiser) and have them to the install.
I have a 70 inch TV on our wall, I bought a mount that was wide enough to catch 3 studs, used 2 screws per METAL stud, works great. Send a PM with your phone number if you would like to discuss further.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, I believe you are correct. I believe the load bearing walls are framed with wood and the non load bearing walls are framed with metal. The advantage of the metal studs is that they run true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
My four year old designer home has both metal and wood studs. Criteria unknown, but it seems longer spans of wallboard get metal and areas needing more strength get wood.
Mount your TV wherever you want it.
If you center on a wood stud, perfect! If hollow wall or metal stud just drill through and use "Toggler Snaptoggle." Strongest and easiest I've ever used. Two sizes available locally at both Home Depot and Lowes.

Toggler Snaptoggle | Anchor Bolts,Toggle Bolt, Toggle Bolts
Old 12-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I mounted a TV in the guest BR last summer on the wall using this bracket which only required one stud. It holds TV's up to 55" but my TV was only 42". I found there is a combination of wood and metal in my CYV built in 2011.

Near the top edge of the closet door was metal, but about 18" above the closet my stud finder found wood. I mounted the TV there, but was maybe a foot higher than I liked. Then when I went to bury the wires using a kit I bought from Home Depot, I found metal studs to the right side of the closet after I had made the circle hole and ran my arm down the wall a bit. I was able to move the wires a little higher and missed the studs. It came out pretty good and the wall mounting bracket was only $26 plus free shipping on Amazon.

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com: Mounting Dream MD2377 TV Wall Mount Bracket for most of 26-55 Inch LED, LCD, OLED Flat Screen TV with Full Motion Swivel Articulating Arm up to VESA 400x400mm and 60 lbs with Tilting: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you have doubts you can always call Villages AV, I used them to help with my attic antenna when I had trouble finding the right cables from the Directv cables. They are pros at mounting TV's and burying wires.

Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida
The mount I bought from Amazon is very similar to yours. The area where I have to put it I don't believe there is a stud so I will use some type of molly anchor. It's a small bedroom so the tv is 32" and not heavy. I'm a do it yourself guy so I'm going to do this.
PS. Nice Car
Closed Thread

Tags
metal, drill, screw, molly, hang

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.