Gate Guards knocked down

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2021, 02:51 PM
Default Gate Guards knocked down

I read an article about all the gate guards being knocked down by cart and cars. It listed several distractions that might cause it, but one of the best things they could do is paint the stripes YELLOW instead of red. There is a reason highway stripes are painted yellow and not red. Yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices. Might not solve 100% of the problem but it should cause a dramatic reduction in accidents.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

I had made a suggestion a few tears ago to have a yellow triangle hanging from the cross arm, to IMPROVE visibility. I was told the arms design was a state requirement and what I was requesting could not be done. I have observed several times that the gate arms can be hard to see, even when you know they are there.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

If they can’t see gate cross the road that has reflective that lights up at night when headlights hits it, maybe it their driving skills? Or lack of due to too much Jack or reefers. And for very few that just need to slow down. Who knows there maybe another intentional gate crasher like the one that got caught few months go?
Old 02-23-2021, 06:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If they can’t see gate cross the road that has reflective that lights up at night when headlights hits it, maybe it their driving skills? Or lack of due to too much Jack or reefers. And for very few that just need to slow down. Who knows there maybe another intentional gate crasher like the one that got caught few months go?

& the "I think I can make it" drivers.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

The other evening we were driving down 441/27 past Water Oak and I noticed that their gate lights up (either red or green) as it goes up and down. So much easier to see!

kathy
Old 02-23-2021, 07:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

Install sharp nails on the arms , the culprits can be located at the Body Shop
Old 02-23-2021, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
& the "I think I can make it" drivers.
How that reefer.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 PM

I have noticed over many, many years, you just cannot "idiot proof" everything.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:42 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch69 View Post
I read an article about all the gate guards being knocked down by cart and cars. It listed several distractions that might cause it, but one of the best things they could do is paint the stripes YELLOW instead of red. There is a reason highway stripes are painted yellow and not red. Yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices. Might not solve 100% of the problem but it should cause a dramatic reduction in accidents.
As most us ol' military retirees know, color red appears as black in low/no light conditions. Good suggestion to change, and why not add some shapes on the arms as well. The almost-immediate reduction in the $ spent on gate maintenance would probably more than cover the $ outlay to accomplish the change, as well as improve safety.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:04 AM

Not usually a problem in seeing the arms. Just a problem waiting for the arm to clear, or trying to beat the arm closing
Old 02-24-2021, 05:45 AM

I have noticed that the reflective material on many of the arms is degraded and is minimally visible at night. I agree with others, put LED lights on the gate arms; or just remove them. They are at best a false sense of security.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Gate Guards knocked down.

After reading the OP Title, I thought that as all the barriers were being destroyed, drivers were knocking down the gate attendants instead!
Old 02-24-2021, 05:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I had made a suggestion a few tears ago to have a yellow triangle hanging from the cross arm, to IMPROVE visibility. I was told the arms design was a state requirement and what I was requesting could not be done. I have observed several times that the gate arms can be hard to see, even when you know they are there.
Very true. I almost took the gate out on Morse Blvd southbound just before 466. I know its there but......no excuse. Didnt see it and forgot and skidded to a stop in time. NOW I always remember even if its not visible. That one time scared the hell out of me
Old 02-24-2021, 06:07 AM

I’m moved here in July. For a retirement area, I have never seen as many folks impatient and in such a big hurry. You all need to slow down! Someone wrote they skidded to a stop...skidded! Shouldn’t be going fast enough to skid going through a gate! There is no need to “beat” the arm from closing either as they all have sensors and won’t close until your vehicle passes. SLOW DOWN PEOPLE! Frankly, I’m tired of being tailgated and witnessing many racing around at 20 mph faster than posted speed limits. People in our own village must all have somewhere to be that it is more important for them rather than respecting the safety of those around them. If local law enforcement would simply start smacking some with speeding fines, this would stop quickly. My middle finger has been getting some heavy use. rather than enjoying a car ride up Morse Blvd, it is usually quite stressful. I guess I’ll have to continue my friendly “wave”. It’s actually sad.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:15 AM

I think a speed bump or two would help.
Closed Thread

Tags
yellow, gate, guards, stripes, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.