Gate Guards knocked down

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2021, 06:16 AM

I agree. The red stripes on the gates are often difficult to see.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:21 AM

As I drive in some neighborhoods, I find the gate blends with the surroundings especially when leaving. Something needs to be done but don't ask a Florida traffic engineer, we all see how well they know what they are doing.

Simple Solution to Crashing the Gates. How about paying attention to your DRIVING, GO SLOW when approaching the gates, GET OFF THE CELL PHONE when approaching the gate. If your Cell phone rings ignore it. I think they should raise the fine of crashing a gate to $500.00. Maybe that will get people to slow down and pay attention to their driving!!!!!

Totally agree! We just closed on our house in January and spent some time exploring and realized we were having trouble seeing the gate arms, even knowing they were there. My husband thought a triangle would be an improvement as well. Somehow they’re too skinny or not bright enough and just blend in to the background. And we weren’t trying to squeeze in as they were coming down!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:26 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch69 View Post
I read an article about all the gate guards being knocked down by cart and cars. It listed several distractions that might cause it, but one of the best things they could do is paint the stripes YELLOW instead of red. There is a reason highway stripes are painted yellow and not red. Yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices. Might not solve 100% of the problem but it should cause a dramatic reduction in accidents.
Well as far as I know if you knock a gate down you pay for it. The cameras take your picture and they get in touch with you and I think it cost somewhere just under $200? The gate thing it’s nothing compared to what goes on in the roundabouts. Was on my bike yesterday and saw someone from the outside lane, which is an exit, lane run right into the side of a car that was on the inside and going straight. The arrows on the signs coming into the roundabouts clearly show how they are to be used. It’s not rocket science but you would think it was?
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM

I just don't understand the Crashing of the Gates?? Some people suggested Yellow instead of Red?? Some people said the Gates are hard to see at night?? This is simple. There is a gate house and the entrance alone should be enough for you to remember there is a Gate there. The Gate goes up and then you proceed. How about SLOWING DOWN and stop being in a RUSH to get where your going. STOP BLAMING THE GATES, ITS THE DRIVERS.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM

Why are the gates even there? So phoney
Old 02-24-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnidy View Post
Why are the gates even there? So phoney
The gates are there to slow auto traffic so golf carts can cross the intersection behind the gates. If the gates were not at those locations, there would be a significant number of golf carts being hit by autos since so many car and truck drivers would not slow down.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 AM
Default Entry gates should go

The entry gates should be replaced by speed bumps. The gates are expensive to maintain and totally unnecessary!!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:53 AM

Forget speed bumps. You need the law enforcement that has gone lax. No accountability anymore
Old 02-24-2021, 07:02 AM

I’d like to see some kind of flag hanging across the arm.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn Wagner View Post
I think a speed bump or two would help.
I agree, they may not slow the first time, believe me they will next time.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Not completely accurate.

The most visible color, especially at night is green. It’s a major reasons firearm lights are green. They use red also because the green wavelength requires more power than red.

Red is the most recognizable color, meaning the eye distinguishes it from background colors more easily. And red has been psychological taught to us to mean stop.

White reflects the most light, more than a mirror. This is a big reason safety equipment (signs, lights) are red & white. The reflective material used also increases red and white much more than yellow.

Yellow, although is a highly visible color was chosen for street lines because of its visibility but more so because of its already psychological idea to mean safety. Traffic signals existed before markings and motorist already associated yellow with caution. Yellow and white are also the most contrasting colors to black pavement, hence why its yellow over red.

So it’s not only the colors but what other colors that it needs to contrast with.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
& the "I think I can make it" drivers.
That’s right. In the time I have lived in The Villages I have seen two gates taken out. Both times, they got up on the bumper of the car in front of them and tried to make it through and did not make it. Why are these idiots in such a hurry. I mean they may have to wait a hole five seconds.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langwelld View Post
The entry gates should be replaced by speed bumps. The gates are expensive to maintain and totally unnecessary!!
If you cannot see the gates.....how would you see the speed bumps? Gates prevent golf cart accidents, Think about lt!

Tags
yellow, gate, guards, stripes, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.