Gate Guards knocked down

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you cannot see the gates.....how would you see the speed bumps? Gates prevent golf cart accidents, Think about lt!
If you don't see you will feel.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 AM
Default Redeisgn the gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
As I drive in some neighborhoods, I find the gate blends with the surroundings especially when leaving. Something needs to be done but don't ask a Florida traffic engineer, we all see how well they know what they are doing.
Maybe we should suggest putting a round-a-bout in place of the gates.......
Old 02-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Gate Guards knocked down.

After reading the OP Title, I thought that as all the barriers were being destroyed, drivers were knocking down the gate attendants instead!
Yup, that's the way I read it, too. People have to rethink their SUBJECT postings as to how others may interpret it.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry chappel View Post
I suggest you put your middle finger away before one of your aggressive neighbors follows you home and puts it where the sun don't shine. Oh and do you need a reminder of how many people are armed these days?
Just asking - Is it his duty to change because he's reacting to the very poor and probably illegal behavior of another driver? Or should it be the duty of the poor and probably illegal behavior of the other driver to change? And is it legal for someone to drive illegally or aggressively and then shoot and kill someone because they stuck a finger up at them? Wow. Just Wow.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:27 AM

Changing the gate color or shape is sorta a solution in search of a problem. But the idea of installing nails on them does have some merit.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:45 AM

The gate on Morse by 466 is left up much of the time. You never can tell if it’s up for the day or if it’s going to come down on you. I wish they’d make up their minds.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch69 View Post
I read an article about all the gate guards being knocked down by cart and cars. It listed several distractions that might cause it, but one of the best things they could do is paint the stripes YELLOW instead of red. There is a reason highway stripes are painted yellow and not red. Yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices. Might not solve 100% of the problem but it should cause a dramatic reduction in accidents.
I agree. The reflective material used on the gate arms is borderline useless. I know where the arms are and they are hard to see at night. Imagine a visitor. If someone keeps having the same problem over and over and never tries a different solution, they become part of the problem.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage

I think that some years ago the gate arms were yellow and "Welcome Home" was written on them. They were much more visible than the red and white ones, which sometimes blend into the surroundings, especially at dusk. Someone said that they were changed to comply with state regulations.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:01 AM

I agree with Joeyb. You don't see people knocking down the guard at a railroad crossing. Put some blinking red leds on the gates.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 AM

When I was in Siesta Key they had a light strip on the bar. It was really easy to see.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

I propose village tax to enact all suggestions. Each of use can pay $100 dollars or so to have gates painted, new reflective tape in rainbow of colors, flashing lights, speed bumps, stop sign, before the golf cart crossing, automatic ticketing cameras , Law enforcement at every entry, and last loud speakers blasting 30 yards before the gates. And still there will be gate crashes.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabacon6669 View Post
I agree with Joeyb. You don't see people knocking down the guard at a railroad crossing. Put some blinking red leds on the gates.
No, they just drive around them
Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I read an article about all the gate guards being knocked down by cart and cars. It listed several distractions that might cause it, but one of the best things they could do is paint the stripes YELLOW instead of red. There is a reason highway stripes are painted yellow and not red. Yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices. Might not solve 100% of the problem but it should cause a dramatic reduction in accidents.
some people are red - xxxx colorblind - yellow is better
Old 02-24-2021, 09:23 AM

Soooooo true! For the most part everyone knows they are there, For the life of me I can't figure out why everyone is in such a hurry to go........where?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:59 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
The gates are already painted in nice visible colors and are at eye level. Repainting them in dayglo neon green, orange or whatever wouldn’t make a difference to these people. Remember you have to LOOK to see them.

I will agree that it is hard to see under some circumstances such as popping open another beer, texting or otherwise using a cell phone, speeding, in too big of a hurry to see if the gate is fully raised, and other critically important tasks!

Without gates, the intersection of cart path & car entrance would be similar to the intersection of a ‘Figure-8” race track. Carnage & mayhem would soon follow.

We do NEED the gates so what is the answer? I would suggest doubling the fines/replacement costs to the offender and ADD speed bumps (not replace the gates with speed bumps).

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
yellow, gate, guards, stripes, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.