Gate Passes

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
That was not the original reason for the gates.

It was to try and pass us off (the "gullible" part) as a "gated community."

Of which, when the roads became public when sold to the county...was no longer allowed by law.

Might I also ask, how does that argument work for the plethora of locations where gates are installed...but there aren't any golf carts crossing anywhere near them?

Someone is fond of presenting opinions as facts. Someone also seems to believe repetition lends credence to the argument.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Someone is fond of presenting opinions as facts. Someone also seems to believe repetition lends credence to the argument.
Yep.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

OK, folks. If rolling down your car window in order to open the gate seems like a problem to you, then your life is truly wonderful.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:33 PM

I have to say that the up and down of my window at the gates required me to get a new window regulator -- at a cost of almost 400 dollars -- I hate the gates and felt so happy whenever the gates are open or broken
Old 10-25-2019, 05:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post

Good observation.

Thank you for not naming names.

Respectfully done.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Gated?

Obviously not with homes accessible via golf courses and adjacent to access roads.....

Would the golf cart/automobile encounter, without the gates, be any different than at cross sections where golf cart paths cross public roads? Obviously not.

I would not vote for one dollar to be spent to upgrade/modernize the current gate system.

When a gate or post is knocked down, I would be in favor of replacing the gates and posts with more solid/sturdy material. Hence allowing the damage to be to the golf cart.

Maybe...MAYBE.... that would slow down those in such a hurry they ignore being careful!
Old 10-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Gated?

Obviously not with homes accessible via golf courses and adjacent to access roads.....

Would the golf cart/automobile encounter, without the gates, be any different than at cross sections where golf cart paths cross public roads? Obviously not.

I would not vote for one dollar to be spent to upgrade/modernize the current gate system.

When a gate or post is knocked down, I would be in favor of replacing the gates and posts with more solid/sturdy material. Hence allowing the damage to be to the golf cart.

Maybe...MAYBE.... that would slow down those in such a hurry they ignore being careful!
I'm with you on the $1 for modernization.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

.........When a gate or post is knocked down, I would be in favor of replacing the gates and posts with more solid/sturdy material. Hence allowing the damage to be to the golf cart.
I've been under the impression the damage to the gates is caused by vehicular traffic, not golf carts.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I've been under the impression the damage to the gates is caused by vehicular traffic, not golf carts.
Both!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Old 10-28-2019, 02:56 AM
Default The Villages DOES try to add a level of security to entry gates

The Villages DOES try to add a level of security to the entry gates and does so by the use of the entry cards AND the red buttons. If the gates were ONLY for traffic control they would be just like the exit gates, drive up and they sense your presence and then open. The Entry gates can be set up to act the same way. It would still achieve traffic control were they in the 'automatic' mode. When new communities are developed they have the entry gates set just like the exit gates so I know they can be set to automatic mode.

Automatic mode would also virtually eliminate the gate collisions that require constant repair.

For some reason The Villages chooses to inflict that extra level of difficulty or control or they insist on continuing a procedure that has outlived its usefulness. Given that the gates could all be automatic what other reason would you see for still using a gate card or the red button???

Last edited by joseppe; 10-28-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added a line
Old 10-28-2019, 03:05 AM

Several gates in the Southern Oaks Villages (Fenney, DeSoto ...) require golf carts to go through the gates.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:22 AM

Transponders like the Sunpass that we could put on our dashes would be great. But of course that would mean replacing the entire infrastructure throughout TV, so would be wicked expensive.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 AM

The cards work from inside with windows up, you just need to be very close to the pad. Ive6lived here 18 years. 4 cars between us later, never had to open the window to get gate to open. As to replacing and getting a new system. Exactly how much do you think that would cost everyone??????. What we have works just fine thank you very much.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:51 AM

The gate passes are the only thing I dislike about the Villages. They fall on the floor when trying to use them or can't be found. A pass attached to the window is great and would be so much easier than the card.
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.