Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gate Passes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gate-passes-299248/)

CFrance 10-21-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1690060)
I does work it some cars, but, all car glass is not equal, especially if your car has sound deadening glass

My card works at some gates but not others. It used to work at Belvedere but no longer does. It has never, ever worked at St. James.

I've noted many times in the last 8 years that sticking my arm out into a torrential downpour, especially when wearing long sleeves, is very uncomfortable. If I wanted to get wet I'd go swimming.

Topspinmo 10-21-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1690083)
My card works at some gates but not others. It used to work at Belvedere but no longer does. It has never, ever worked at St. James.

I've noted many times in the last 8 years that sticking my arm out into a torrential downpour, especially when wearing long sleeves, is very uncomfortable. If I wanted to get wet I'd go swimming.

The gates should open automatically. Not fooling anybody with the red button

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 10:37 AM

And @ a manned gate, many times the attendant opens the gate for me , and as I'm entering the golf cart crossing lane a cart blows thru the STOP sign, still haven't got my quota-OH! golf cart season doesn't open till Nov 1

vintageogauge 10-21-2019 11:58 AM

The card beats punching in a 6 digit code to open the gate.

rjm1cc 10-21-2019 12:06 PM

Stickers on the car windows would be an improvement.
Since the roads are open to the public removing the gates would also be an option.

Bogie Shooter 10-21-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1690057)
It all comes down to $$$$$$$. The developer isn't going to pay to make life easier for you.:ohdear:

The developer isn't the one who would pay......

coffeebean 10-21-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilcon (Post 1690017)
Years ago, when we had a torrential downpour, they would raise the gates until it was over. I know that at the St. Charles gate, I can hold my card up to my closed window and it works, and yes, I have tinted windows. Should be like that everywhere.

I frequent the Mallory and Odell south gates. Both gates will open when I place my gate pass to the closed window of my car. So far, anyway.

DeanFL 10-21-2019 12:27 PM

They should really open with just a credit card swipe.

That way they could Bill Gates.

sorry.

Chatbrat 10-21-2019 12:46 PM

I'm willing bet that you could pair the garage door remove that came withe average MVP door opener with the remote that the attendant uses at Belvedere, Bailey Tr, Morse Gates, etc--,again, did it in NC @ a real gated community

birdiebill 10-21-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 1690134)
Stickers on the car windows would be an improvement.
Since the roads are open to the public removing the gates would also be an option.

As noted earlier, if there were no gates, golf carts would be in danger anytime they tried to cross. Autos would not even slow down. This is a golf cart community and the gates are designed to slow down autos and permit carts to cross. We all have to share the same roads.

JoMar 10-21-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioViper (Post 1690054)
It does seem the system is outdated. If the card worked from inside your car that would be great. Unfortunately ours doesn’t.

Might depend on how close you are to the reader. Next time you drop you window and use your card note how far the card is from the reader then place your car window about the same distance from the reader and it should work. Took me awhile to figure that out but now have no issue as long as I get close to the reader.

JoMar 10-21-2019 01:55 PM

Also, at the manned gates go through the visitor side and they will open it for you.

anothersteve 10-21-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1690167)
Also, at the manned gates go through the visitor side and they will open it for you.

And then you wouldn't get wet when it's raining, common sense.
Steve

BobnBev 10-21-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1690136)
The developer isn't the one who would pay......

OK, I'll bite, bucko, exactly who would pay if not the developer.:ohdear:

Aloha1 10-21-2019 04:39 PM

We lived on Maui for 17 years in a gated community. A real gate with a call box. Transponders attached to your wind shield gave you entrance as you drove up. Here's the straight skinny: Police and Fire were given 24/7 access codes which morphed into contractors getting access codes, which morphed into a whole bunch of people getting access codes. In other words, unless you have armed guards at the gate, fugettaboutit.