Gate Passes

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I haven't seen this mentioned, but when you go through a gate your license plate is photographed. The police have used this info to solve burglaries in the past. I can remember a few times when appliances were stolen out of new homes in Pine Ridge and Pine Hills they were able to track down the thieves.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 AM

Great idea. Save your door window motor and you don't have to get wet when raining
Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 AM

I totally agree. Why can't we have stickers on our cars instead of trying to remember a card? We have three cars, so I don't keep my card in the car. It's usually in my purse, which means I have to dig to find it. Sometimes my purse is in the back seat and I have to reach to get it. What a pain that can be avoided with a simple change!!!!
Old 10-28-2019, 08:29 AM

My card works at all gates from inside the car as long as you are close enough to the reader. Watch out for your mirror! Maybe the cards could be made with a stronger signal and those residents who wish to have one to use inside their car could purchase it for a small fee.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 AM
Smile gate pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
sticker on car/cart would be great
I agree , a sticker on car and cart would be a great convenience.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:47 AM

Ours works from inside a closed window with no problem, with all but about two gates. You just need to pull a little closer, hold the card for a full second or two without moving and at the same level of grey pad. Usually you can see the little light blink when it registers.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Its about time that our gate passes get caught up with the 21st century--magnetic cards were good in the 1980's; but today there are way better alternatives.

Bar codes, or synch to your garage door opener or your car's "homelink"

Its a real pleasure to subject your clothing and your car's interior to a deluge to swipe apiece of plastic which has "ZERO" security associate with it
How do you keep your clothing and interior dry when you have to open the whole door at the club, store, restaurant, etc?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:57 AM

I have a card reader from Tamper that works on the villages gates. so much for security.They should have a reader like the Highways have that can read you at 65mph
get with the times.I am sure there is something that can be done to avoid wearing out our window motors.What does the Fire Dept use to open the gates, that's a long reach from a fire truck cab.Come on The Villages spend some of your profits.There I am done.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Before moving to the Villages, we lived in Cape Coral Florida and you had to go over a bridge to get into Cape Coral. We had to buy a transponder to stick to the inside front window behind rear view mirror and pay in advance to go through. It was very handy, no opening the window when it was HOT or Raining. Basically it was a Sun Pass. I think that would be a great thing for the villages.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Keep the card or something similar. Not everyone has a vehicle or can drive and must rely on others to take them places or family members that won't have barcodes on their cars or things linked their cars. Not everyone has cars that link up to their homes. What about the golf cart Gates? You can't drive your car through there you have to have something to get through the gates! I think it would become too inconvenient for a lot of people.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Why is this topic on again as new. It was the same posts several weeks ago.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:32 AM

Excellent suggestion. A presently constituted we have no security save this illusionary symbol.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Why is this topic on again as new. It was the same posts several weeks ago.
You'll always get the same threads week after week here. Gates, dog poop, poor drivers, roundabouts, costco etc. That's the way it is. It's also weird how suddenly 4 or 5 posts in a row from users with only 1 or 2 posts posted minutes apart suddenly appear in some threads.

But to keep on topic I agree 100% with some sort of "minimal technology upgrade" to the gate system just to make it a bit more CONVENIENT to use. Waving it through a closed window does often work but cars behind get very impatient when it sometimes takes 5 seconds to "connect" with the card reader. I guess the answer (when available) is to use the manned(womaned) "visitor" side where no card is needed and to keep the gate people busy.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
I have a card reader from Tamper that works on the villages gates. so much for security.They should have a reader like the Highways have that can read you at 65mph
get with the times.I am sure there is something that can be done to avoid wearing out our window motors.What does the Fire Dept use to open the gates, that's a long reach from a fire truck cab.Come on The Villages spend some of your profits.There I am done.
When did the districts start making a profit?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Default Gate Passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
You tell it like it is
In 21 years, I have never had a problem actuating the gate arm by holding the plastic card up to my unopened window. I do agree that the system could use an update and window or car sticker might be an option.
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.