Gate Passes

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts
Default Gates

I do not always appreciate it when there is a long line to get through the gates for residents but guests breeze through the open guest gate. Does that make any sense?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM

You don't even have to roll down your window. If you get close enough, the card works through the glass. I have never had to roll down my window.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM

We don’t think the gates provide any security, the cameras are there for that reason. Take the gates down.
If not inputting that code into our garage door opener is a good idea
Old 10-28-2019, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Its about time that our gate passes get caught up with the 21st century--magnetic cards were good in the 1980's; but today there are way better alternatives.

Bar codes, or synch to your garage door opener or your car's "homelink"

Its a real pleasure to subject your clothing and your car's interior to a deluge to swipe apiece of plastic which has "ZERO" security associate with it
I had a gate card that we got in 2012 that wouldn’t open the cart gate in Orange Blossom just over the cart bridge, that takes you to Lowe’s. But it would open all the gates in TV.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseppe View Post
The Villages DOES try to add a level of security to the entry gates and does so by the use of the entry cards AND the red buttons. If the gates were ONLY for traffic control they would be just like the exit gates, drive up and they sense your presence and then open. The Entry gates can be set up to act the same way. It would still achieve traffic control were they in the 'automatic' mode. When new communities are developed they have the entry gates set just like the exit gates so I know they can be set to automatic mode.

Automatic mode would also virtually eliminate the gate collisions that require constant repair.

For some reason The Villages chooses to inflict that extra level of difficulty or control or they insist on continuing a procedure that has outlived its usefulness. Given that the gates could all be automatic what other reason would you see for still using a gate card or the red button???
None!!
Old 10-28-2019, 12:32 PM

The fact is there is no consistency in the "sensitivity" of the gates, so individual results will vary. Some gates will read your card through the window, which also depends apparently on different models/windows. Some don't work no matter how close you get. Have had several different vehicles since 2003 and the only gate that consistently worked was Springdale. Some gates, especially south of 466, you have to hold the card literally within 6 inches of the reader and that's with arm out the open window. You would be scraping your mirror to get that close with window closed. I have witnessed people holding their card with arm completely extended and not reach close enough to trigger the release. You have to be pretty close to it. Heaven forbid the card slips through your fingers and lands outside the vehicle. You wouldn't able to even open the door to retrieve it, as you have to be so damn close. I'm sure many of us as seen that happen numerous times. For the lucky few who never have to roll down their window, I'm happy for you.
Getting soaked only 3 times a year at the gates, wow, that would be a miracle. They must never leave the house or not live here during the summer. Fact: it rains here; a lot, heavily, often. Odds of getting caught in rain at the gates if you are out and about a lot are more like 300 times a year. Fact: only certain gates have a guard, many do not. Back when TV was much smaller, they used to leave ALL gates UP during thunderstorms and pouring rain.
Personally, I could not care any less if my arm gets wet. What is more concerning is that by the time the window rolls completely down, the box finally reads the card and the window rolls back up, the inside of your door, WHERE ALL THE SWITCHES AND ELECTRONICS for your doors, windows and mirrors, etc. are sitting, gets drenched. Should not have to constantly carry towels to dry off the insides of your cars.
I realize this is all to regulate traffic, but IMHO, this system kind of sucks and there has to be better and easier methods out there. The subject is a common pet peeve for many residents. Have a peaceful and stress free day!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:24 PM
Default Gate passes.

Quote:
Its about time that our gate passes get caught up with the 21st century--magnetic cards were good in the 1980's; but today there are way better alternatives.

Bar codes, or synch to your garage door opener or your car's "homelink"

Its a real pleasure to subject your clothing and your car's interior to a deluge to swipe apiece of plastic which has "ZERO" security associate with it
A decal on a windshield or golf cart would be more efficient.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:02 PM

Just came back from beach in St Pete for the weekend, had to roll down my window coming back into TV and got a sunburn from the bright sun. Not sure which is worse the wet arm or the sunburn!!!! I know I am being snarky but is this the best issue that we have in TV that we need 16 pages worth of discussion. This seems to be an issue something like the dreaded Rec News. Said then and will say it again, if it is so easy, so cheap and so many villagers give a rats pattuty about it, get together and present it to a company to submit a plan to the CDD's and get er done. Oh yeah have money to finance it!!
Old 10-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciccolella View Post
I do not always appreciate it when there is a long line to get through the gates for residents but guests breeze through the open guest gate. Does that make any sense?
Leave the house 10 minutes earlier...………………...
Old 10-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciccolella View Post
Nothing prevents you from going through the visitor gate.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:56 PM
Default Stop Signs???

Quote:
Instead of the arms and gates install 4 way stop signs and make them visible for both cars & carts
Cars and carts don't stop for any stop signs now. Imagine what it would be like at the busier car/cart crossings if there were no gates.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
J I know I am being snarky but is this the best issue that we have in TV that we need 16 pages worth of discussion.
Absolutely not but SO WHAT? There are multiple "bad driver" threads, "dog poop" threads, "Costco" threads, ad nauseum "roundabout" threads and umpteen other constantly repeated threads so why not one of these every couple months. Very simple to just not read what doesn't interest or bores anyone.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Absolutely not but SO WHAT? There are multiple "bad driver" threads, "dog poop" threads, "Costco" threads, ad nauseum "roundabout" threads and umpteen other constantly repeated threads so why not one of these every couple months. Very simple to just not read what doesn't interest or bores anyone.
Yes how very simple that is!!!!!!! However like stop signs in TV....it doesn't work.

It always amazes me when people see or hear something they do not like, yet they continue to go back and continue to about that which they do not like.

Now why is that?
Old 10-28-2019, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Nothing prevents you from going through the visitor gate.
What's the distinction between a resident and visitor gate?

I mostly see people in a hurry use the visitor gate and drag race to get ahead of the person using the resident gate.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Yes how very simple that is!!!!!!! However like stop signs in TV....it doesn't work.
It always amazes me when people see or hear something they do not like, yet they continue to go back and continue to about that which they do not like. Now why is that?
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.