Gate Passes

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Location: From Connecticut now living in the Village of De Soto

Maybe use the existing technology that scans the bar code on your villages ID? Have a bar code made for vehicles and the readers at the gate updated to read them.

Just a thought
Old 10-21-2019, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

I think that they should move the card readers back away from the road. Everyone would need to get out of their card to use the card reader. After a year, put everything back the way it is now. End of complaints.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
...End of complaints.
On ToTV?!? Good one!!!
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I think that they should move the card readers back away from the road. Everyone would need to get out of their card to use the card reader. After a year, put everything back the way it is now. End of complaints.
Didn't you mean to put that in the JOKE THREAD?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Default gate cards

I totally agree with the O P, the white gate cards are totally outdated.
If we can open our garages without a card, we can open these gates without a card. Same method.
Since residents are chipping in to pay developer's road expenses, they can chip in for resident conveniences.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I frequent the Mallory and Odell south gates. Both gates will open when I place my gate pass to the closed window of my car. So far, anyway.
Gates at both ends of Hillsborough Trail will always open when I place my gate pass to the closed window of my Honda 2017 CRV. Maybe the gates sensors in the newer areas work better than in the older sections??? I have no issues with the gates when I don't have to open a window.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 PM

The Biiiiiig question is how much are you willing to spend to make this change? Nothing but complaints about taxes going up, we should pay for guest and all the new restaurants are too expensive for a "piece of meat". This is where the moderator is correct about debates, it turns into a bashing without obtaining facts, cost and following logical thought processes to determine as many causes, effects and solutions. Why is this even a subject to talk about with the other issues that should be of much more concern. A wet arm 3 times a year is not that big of a deal.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioViper View Post
It does seem the system is outdated. If the card worked from inside your car that would be great. Unfortunately ours doesn’t.
Maybe it is your card. I use my card from inside the window for most gates I go through. You do have to get fairly close but it should work!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
I totally agree with the O P, the white gate cards are totally outdated.
If we can open our garages without a card, we can open these gates without a card. Same method.
Since residents are chipping in to pay developer's road expenses, they can chip in for resident conveniences.
The white cards are not the same as a garage opener. It is easy for The Villages to control the number of cards issued, and they can deactivate lost or stolen cards. They always know how many cards are being used. A garage opener signal can be copied, with no way to determine who and how many people are using the system. Yes, there are other systems that could be used, but it may require more monitoring to keep track of who can access the gates.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
We lived on Maui for 17 years in a gated community. A real gate with a call box. Transponders attached to your wind shield gave you entrance as you drove up. Here's the straight skinny: Police and Fire were given 24/7 access codes which morphed into contractors getting access codes, which morphed into a whole bunch of people getting access codes. In other words, unless you have armed guards at the gate, fugettaboutit.
in The Villages, it is not about security. It is all about slowing down the cars so the golf carts can proceed at the gates. It would be nice, however, to have some sort of reader in our car and not need to use a gate pass.

I've been delayed at the gate a few times because someone dropped their gate pass or couldn't find their gate pass or wasn't close enough to the reader......you get the point.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The white cards are not the same as a garage opener. It is easy for The Villages to control the number of cards issued, and they can deactivate lost or stolen cards. They always know how many cards are being used. A garage opener signal can be copied, with no way to determine who and how many people are using the system. Yes, there are other systems that could be used, but it may require more monitoring to keep track of who can access the gates.
Why should the amount of people who have access be monitored at all? These are public roads. Does it really matter how many people have access to our through our gates? I don't think so. As I and others have said already, it is not about security, it is about allowing the golf carts the ability to proceed at the gates.

The gates system is a great system of ensuring there is harmony on the roads between cars and golf carts.
Just wish it were easier for the drivers to proceed through the gates.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
. A wet arm 3 times a year is not that big of a deal.
Honestly? Have you been here in the summer months?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
We lived on Maui for 17 years in a gated community. A real gate with a call box. Transponders attached to your wind shield gave you entrance as you drove up. Here's the straight skinny: Police and Fire were given 24/7 access codes which morphed into contractors getting access codes, which morphed into a whole bunch of people getting access codes. In other words, unless you have armed guards at the gate, fugettaboutit.
Since gates are only to slow down cars so golf carts have a fighting chance to cross the road, who has access is not a big deal.

What is mind boggling is at 4am the rescue truck with full lights and sirens, had to stop at the gate to push the button. Yes it only took a few seconds, but what if the button did not respond. Then running thru the closed gate works for me. Since both of us are capable of doing full compressions we can wait for the truck to push the button
Old 10-22-2019, 05:59 AM

My card does work with the window closed, but why do we have them in the first place? Doesn't matter who you are, the gate guards open the gate for anyone. Just sayin.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
My card does work with the window closed, but why do we have them in the first place? Doesn't matter who you are, the gate guards open the gate for anyone. Just sayin.
Agree, and if comming off a roundabout, in many instances you are in the guest lane anyway, and saves changing to resident lane where there is usually a queue before barrier.
Stay dry, stay warm, and use your personal gate opener!
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.