Gate Passes

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I was told that TV was initially to be a gated community until they decided to give the roads over to the counties to maintain. But they kept the gates and continued to add more, maybe for continuity.

I could be wrong--everyone has a story or theory.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage

Even though it's not a gated community, the gates do act as a deterrent to strangers wanting access.
I've often seen people turn around before they reach the Belvedere gate, because they think they need a card to enter.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The gates are there to slow traffic so golf carts can pass, they are not there for "security" or showing off we live in a truly gated community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Even though it's not a gated community, the gates do act as a deterrent to strangers wanting access.
I've often seen people turn around before they reach the Belvedere gate, because they think they need a card to enter.
I started an identical thread probably a year ago and got the same response. This poster, like myself, was not asking for an ELIMINATION of gates, I LIKE GATES, ( I LIKE BEER TOO - well, that was a lie actually I hate beer ) but s/he is simply asking for the technology to be UPDATED. Millions can be spent repaving mailbox parking lots and golf course lots, many of which are perfect, so they might want to consider funneling some of that cash into upgrading technology to at least the late 1980's. My father's place had hands-free gate window stickers since the 1980's so all you had to do was STOP AT THE GATE, wait for it to go up, and proceed. No different than it is now. For those who like it the old way, you will have your choice. Some folks still like 8 Track players and cassettes and some prefer TIDAL for modern hi quality streaming.

For me it has nothing to do with getting wet, just convenience. As for "the card through the window" mine works that way 75% of the time so I don't even bother trying because cars behind me get impatient while I flail away endlessly trying to get a response from the gate. That problem does seems to depend on the specific gate. And I do get right up on it.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
There are many gates that a golf cart must go through like an automobile to enter and/or exit a village. Just saying.
Where exactly ? The only ones I know of are at Santiago and Alahambra. Belvedere does have a separate golf cart only gate as does the exit from Orange Blossom to outside of the Villages.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Where exactly ? The only ones I know of are at Santiago and Alahambra. Belvedere does have a separate golf cart only gate as does the exit from Orange Blossom to outside of the Villages.
Pine Ridge
Old 10-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
All the gates on Canal are shared.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
There are many gates that a golf cart must go through like an automobile to enter and/or exit a village. Just saying.
I was referring to cross traffic.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM

At one time, I've been here over 19 years, they offered the option of using a remote clicker to open the gate for $25, but nobody could afford it. Maybe they should offer it again as an option. I've saved my $25!!! I've noticed many drivers using the visitor's gate just to save wear and tear on the window...
Old 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Just for grins, I taped a card under my driver's side mirror, so far so good opening gates.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

The gates are simply an illusion, for the highly gullible...to think they live in a "gated community."

Particularly since these are all public roads.

When I occasionally need to push the red button, I don't get "assistance" from a voice...I just get the gate going up almost immediately.

Having lived in both non-gated and actual gated communities (all entrances having a human person at the gate-house) in the past, it's no big deal to me...that these are nothing more than 'fake gates.'
Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Timber Pines Community Association Home - Timber Pines Community Association

My parents retired in 1983 about 75 minutes from here at a real gated retirement community called Timber Pines in Spring Hill. They have a masonry 6' wall around the entire 1500 acres. The only way you can really do this, is not to have any businesses inside the community, otherwise you have too many employees coming and going. As it is, they have a country club and three golf courses. So the golf courses employees and the community employees are the main gate pass users, along with the landscape people. Otherwise you don't enter unless you're accompanied by a real estate agent or a resident has left your name with the gate attendant. They have two manned gates on US Hwy 19. It seems to work very good, my parents lived there about 15 years and they really liked it.

Everything you could really need is on Hwy 19, all the familiar restaurants, Walmart, Home Depot, bowling alley, movie theater, all within ten minutes of going outside the gate. Ten minutes south is Hudson Beach and about 15 minutes south is Gulfview Mall. Four miles north is Weekie Wachee Springs, home of the mermaids and they have a man-made beach and beautiful spring water you can swim. If not for The Villages, I probably would of retired there. My dad had his own golf cart and I played the courses many times.

The homes are much cheaper. Villas are in the very low $100's and the homes are what they would call designer here, no vinyl siding, all masonry. Homes currently sell for the most part, about $140K to $300K.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Here's an average home, this one if for sale for $229K

The Villages Florida

One of the golf courses and club house

The Villages Florida
Old 10-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The gates are simply an illusion, for the highly gullible...to think they live in a "gated community.”...
Unbelievable.

I know it will get deleted. I just had to say it anyway.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The gates are simply an illusion, for the highly gullible...to think they live in a "gated community."

Particularly since these are all public roads.

When I occasionally need to push the red button, I don't get "assistance" from a voice...I just get the gate going up almost immediately.

Having lived in both non-gated and actual gated communities (all entrances having a human person at the gate-house) in the past, it's no big deal to me...that these are nothing more than 'fake gates.'
Preventing golf carts from being t-boned by cars is not being gullible. Geez.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Just for grins, I taped a card under my driver's side mirror, so far so good opening gates.
Excellent! I've been thinking of doing that for months but always afraid someone would steal it.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Preventing golf carts from being t-boned by cars is not being gullible. Geez.
That was not the original reason for the gates.

It was to try and pass us off (the "gullible" part) as a "gated community."

Of which, when the roads became public when sold to the county...was no longer allowed by law.

Might I also ask, how does that argument work for the plethora of locations where gates are installed...but there aren't any golf carts crossing anywhere near them?

Closed Thread

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.