Gate Passes

Gate Passes

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 10-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have a golf cart, but aren't golf carts crossing the street at the car exit gates as well as entrance gates?
Yep, and some don't stop and yield.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=Chatbrat;1690011]Must agree, this way , when a gate arm the "CART" could be Id'd[/Q

Carts, with a few exceptions, never go through gates
Old 10-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Gates at an entrance or at an exit are by definition a traffic control device.

This took 2 minutes to find on the www......

"According to the MUTCD, what are traffic control devices? "All signs, signals, markings, and other
devices used to regulate, warn, or guide traffic, placed on, over, or adjacent to a street, highway,
pedestrian facility, or bicycle path by authority of a public agency having jurisdiction." Automatically or
manually operated gates installed and operated under authorization of a public agency to control traffic
accessing public streets are considered as traffic control devices based on this definition."
This is no proof that TV's initial purpose of the gates was for traffic control. If that was the case why do you need to use a card to enter the gate??? It could work just like the side when you leave, it automatically opens upon the approach of a vehicle. It would also be much cheaper than the system in use now. I worked with marketing types for 18 years and I know the mindset. The gates are intended to give the "impression" that this is a gated community.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I doesn't take much to realize this is not a true gated community. When a driver can push the red button at an unmanned gate and gain entry, you must realize this is not a gated community. As someone said earlier, this is a community with gates. I will add to that, security is not the reason for the gates. What ever the original reason was for including gates in this community, I think allowing golf carts to proceed onto the golf cart paths at the gates is the one and only positive thing that comes out of having the gate system.
Unless you live in the villages or are a contractor you won't have any idea what the red button is for. The instructions on the box says push red button for assistance, nothing about push the button for access.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage

And if they push the red button.....they will get assistance.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:24 PM

My former employer used the same system. There is an active card available that can be put on the inside of the windshield and will transmit 6-8 feet instead of the 12" of the proximity cards.

I think cost was in the $25 range per active card vs $1-$2 for the proximity cards. These in theory could be offered at additional cost as an upgrade to those willing to pay the cost.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
This is no proof that TV's initial purpose of the gates was for traffic control. If that was the case why do you need to use a card to enter the gate??? It could work just like the side when you leave, it automatically opens upon the approach of a vehicle. It would also be much cheaper than the system in use now. I worked with marketing types for 18 years and I know the mindset. The gates are intended to give the "impression" that this is a gated community.
Evidently that's your story and your sticking to it.....

Berks County Pennsylvania
The Following User Says Thank You to JoMar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't have a golf cart, but aren't golf carts crossing the street at the car exit gates as well as entrance gates?
Correct, but at the exit gates they pass behind the cars, when the cars come in the carts pass in front of the cars. Also, less of sight lines on the cars coming in.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Remember they don't have a gate!
There are many gates that a golf cart must go through like an automobile to enter and/or exit a village. Just saying.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 AM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Um ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Marathon Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
cars, gate, passes, real, subject