Gates

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
The only change I would like is to have a gate card that could be kept inside the car with no need to open a window and put your arm out. If the Turnpike can detect a Sun Pass at 25 MPH then I think a gate system could detect a gate card at 5 feet.
Plus we could have the TV version of Death Race 2000 at the golf cart crossings!!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage

I think it's a great idea. I suggested it once before. The gate regulates traffic but it does not provide security. The one on canal street is broken near 44A and the one in pinellas on the way to winn dixie is also broken. Someone is wasting money on needless repairs.

Maybe with the money saved we could irrigate the executive golf courses better and grow longer grass so I can hit my flop shots on the fluffy grass.

See, it's always about me,
Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Some people have too much time on their hands
If that remark is directed at me you are correct. Unfortunately the time on my hands is due to circumstances beyond my control. I use some of that time getting some enjoyment by participating on this forum.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Default Gates opening

Do what we do we going visitors gates to save us from opening are window all the time it does not take but may be 15 seconds and don't have to put your window in the rain. Works for us. We have doing 5 plus years.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.
Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea? Let sleeping dogs lie?
Good idea.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
If that remark is directed at me you are correct. Unfortunately the time on my hands is due to circumstances beyond my control. I use some of that time getting some enjoyment by participating on this forum.
And why not. For now I'm living alone and TOTV is company. There are a lot of nice people here. Pick and choose your threads and start ones too.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 PM

It seems like whenever there is a discussion about the gates that the concern about having to replace window motors is brought up.

I am just curious how many of you have had to replace the window motor for your driver's side window as a result of over-use. If so, how much did it cost you?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Except for the Resident Only gates I don't see the problem. We only use the Visitor gates now. We burned out one power window and won't do it again. Visitor gates are for residents, also.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
It seems like whenever there is a discussion about the gates that the concern about having to replace window motors is brought up.

I am just curious how many of you have had to replace the window motor for your driver's side window as a result of over-use. If so, how much did it cost you?
I guess I missed that twice. Did someone suggest that they wore out the window motor because of all the gates?
That's a very creative argument.

"An electric car window motor works the windows and make them go up or down. Depending on the model of the car and if the window motor is new or used, it should last at least four or five years. In many cases, it will last up to around 7 to 8 years." according to CarsDirect
Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I guess I missed that twice. Did someone suggest that they wore out the window motor because of all the gates?
That's a very creative argument.

"An electric car window motor works the windows and make them go up or down. Depending on the model of the car and if the window motor is new or used, it should last at least four or five years. In many cases, it will last up to around 7 to 8 years." according to CarsDirect
The windows in my 2000 Tahoe (266,000 miles) all work well and have never been replaced. That equates to a lot of drive-thru coffee episodes.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
The only change I would like is to have a gate card that could be kept inside the car with no need to open a window and put your arm out. If the Turnpike can detect a Sun Pass at 25 MPH then I think a gate system could detect a gate card at 5 feet.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
This is the best idea yet! I hate the constant wear & tear on my electric window motor. They were not made for that much use I am sure, not to mention I dislike getting the inside of my vehicle wet when it is STORMING.

Another option would be the auto open gate like they use when a new Village is in "construction mode." It stops traffic long enough to get a visual on the vehicle license plates and also gives golf carts time to cross.

Clearly there has got to be a better way...
When it rains I go through the visitor side.....don't have to open the window...also, when is the last time anyone replaced a window motor?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
When it rains I go through the visitor side.....don't have to open the window...also, when is the last time anyone replaced a window motor?
See Post # 23 by VillagesFlorida.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
My thoughts are "Let sleeping dogs lie".........I like the false sense of security of a gate even with the ability for anyone to open them.
Why would anyone like that false sense of security when it is exactly as you say . . . FALSE?

The public at large knows anyone can enter.

You really think your false sense of security is worth a million dollars plus a year??? That's what it costs us!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Most REAL gated communities have a decal on their car on the rear window which is automatically read for opening a gate. The method that is used here is archaic, but cheap!

Do you really think the powers that be care? Why should they? They don't have to use the gates a million times a day like we do.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.