Gates

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
See Post # 23 by VillagesFlorida.
I saw that.....raises more questions but not worth exploring here.....if she believes the gates caused her motor to fail the I have to assume it did.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The window motors (front & rear on driver's side) in my XTerra both failed. That was around 2007. The car was six years old but hardly driven after 2005. No gates involved. Back then it was $100 apiece to have them replaced. Who knows how much it is now.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
A gated community near Orlando had transponders. They stuck on your windshield and automatically opened the gate. Never was any backup and the gate closed after each car. Never saw a broken gate there.
Sorry, but I don't think your example disproves my theory. Did that community have 100,000 seniors, with assorted conditions associated with aging, or a resort mentality with numerous seasonal and transient residents?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Wow! There are some real brain dead "I am entitled and will do whatever I want to do" people in TV. I've got to ask, and I probably know the answer, do any of these people ever contact the department that oversees the gates and offers to pay for it?😜. Is there a video that shows vehicles destroying the gates?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Gotta love the seniors that break the gate, get out and gently move the broken arm out of harm's way, before they merrily drive on!

I wonder how many people who break gates report themselves to Community Watch.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Gotta love the seniors that break the gate, get out and gently move the broken arm out of harm's way, before they merrily drive on!

I wonder how many people who break gates report themselves to Community Watch.
I loved watching the ones who just picked up the gate and snapped it off. With the new HD cameras you'd think they could get decent images and track down some of these folks.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Sage

So what did we learn.
Gate crashers exist, they will enter the community and remain anonymous.
Why do we need a gate that opens with a card or pushing a button?
Why can't they open automatically when we enter as they do when we exit?
A million dollars in repairs can go a long way.
Follow the money.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
So what did we learn.
Gate crashers exist, they will enter the community and remain anonymous.
Why do we need a gate that opens with a card or pushing a button?
Why can't they open automatically when we enter as they do when we exit?
A million dollars in repairs can go a long way.
Follow the money.
Tom - I agree with you often, but I think your approach is a little simplistic. It takes a little longer for a gate to open when a driver has to stop and present a card to open it. That amount of time gives a cart driver the chance to make a decision about going or waiting for the car. My reflexes are slowing and I really like that extra second or two.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Tom - I agree with you often, but I think your approach is a little simplistic. It takes a little longer for a gate to open when a driver has to stop and present a card to open it. That amount of time gives a cart driver the chance to make a decision about going or waiting for the car. My reflexes are slowing and I really like that extra second or two.
I think your reply here is accurate and how it should (and will) be kept.

BTW, the dog in your avatar is good looking. Is it a King Charles Spaniel?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Whatever time you want the gate to wait before it automatically opens can be built into the electronics.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Sage

Good point Tom
Old 02-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Sage
Default Gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I think your reply here is accurate and how it should (and will) be kept.

BTW, the dog in your avatar is good looking. Is it a King Charles Spaniel?

He is. That is Harry! Thank you for asking.imageuploadedbytapatalk1423278098-367400-jpgimageuploadedbytapatalk1423278126-020778-jpgimageuploadedbytapatalk1423278194-072862-jpg
Old 02-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Platinum member

Numerous folks have stated that they just hold the card up to the window and the gate will open. I very seldom roll down the window to enter a gate. The only times I have to roll the window down is when the sensor is either above or below the window. If the sensor is ever with the window glass, just get within a foot or so and hold the card flat against the window.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Gold member

It sounds good when people suggest that the entrance gates be set up to open automatically like the exit ones do. But…..

Our cards have our particular property/ID information embedded in them, and the system logs in that info when the card is swiped to open the gate. (This is what I was told at the district offices when I had to replace our gate cards because one was lost.)

Maybe somebody here knows more about that, and the possibility that the system tracks entrants for security reasons. There might be more to it than just slowing down cars so carts can merge in.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
It sounds good when people suggest that the entrance gates be set up to open automatically like the exit ones do. But…..

Our cards have our particular property/ID information embedded in them, and the system logs in that info when the card is swiped to open the gate. (This is what I was told at the district offices when I had to replace our gate cards because one was lost.)

Maybe somebody here knows more about that, and the possibility that the system tracks entrants for security reasons. There might be more to it than just slowing down cars so carts can merge in.
I don't understand why tracking resident activity would be important.
People without cards can enter TV streets by merely pushing a button.
Contractors, delivery vans and other non-residents are constantly in and out.
I've heard rumors about cameras at the gates, but I've been told by gate attendants there are no cameras.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.