Gates

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2015, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Default False sense of security?

As has been mentioned, TV is not really a gated community. I remember the the north entrance gate in Mulberry being stuck open for days. We are currently staying in River Wilderness in Parrish, FL. The gates here have an actual person at all hours. Very safe feeling.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I like our gates the way they are. They slow down traffic enough that carts can safely cross over roads. They keep people from barreling around like teenagers. They look nice.

Our law enforcement group; Sumter County Sheriff, Marion County Sheriff, Lady Lake Police Department and now Wildwood and Fruitland park police departments work very well together, share information and don't all act like Prima Donna's.

Community Watch drives through our neighborhoods at night when we are sleeping, watching and looking.

The fact that most of us are retired and know to call the police when something or someone looks out of place is a huge help in keeping us safe.

For those who are new and feel the need to reorganize and change things, please wait a couple of years and see how things work very well the way they are.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Whatever time you want the gate to wait before it automatically opens can be built into the electronics.
Tom, This is the solution to the problem created on this thread.
I really don't mind flashing my card. I don't mind getting my arm wet or (LOL) wear and tear on my window motor but your idea is better. Cameras can record who comes and goes.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Tom, This is the solution to the problem created on this thread.
I really don't mind flashing my card. I don't mind getting my arm wet or (LOL) wear and tear on my window motor but your idea is better. Cameras can record who comes and goes.

How many gates? How much per gate? Who pays? We pay.

Fiscally conservative Gracie.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I like our gates the way they are. They slow down traffic enough that carts can safely cross over roads. They keep people from barreling around like teenagers. They look nice.
Our law enforcement group; Sumter County Sheriff, Marion County Sheriff, Lady Lake Police Department and now Wildwood and Fruitland park police departments work very well together, share information and don't all act like Prima Donna's.
Community Watch drives through our neighborhoods at night when we are sleeping, watching and looking.
The fact that most of us are retired and know to call the police when something or someone looks out of place is a huge help in keeping us safe.
For those who are new and feel the need to reorganize and change things, please wait a couple of years and see how things work very well the way they are.
Gracie, I think that most of us are talking about getting rid of the cards, not getting rid of the gates.
The Villages would still give the appearance of a gated community.
The gates would open automatically, after a few seconds, and still serve as traffic control.
Our Law Enforcement Group would still work well together, and Community Watch would still patrol.
For years, the Belvedere Gate opened automatically after about a five second wait.
A lot of people didn't realize it would open automatically and still used their cards.
When they installed the golf cart gate, they changed the car gate system to always requiring a card.
It was very handy to have the gate open automatically.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
How many gates? How much per gate? Who pays? We pay.

Fiscally conservative Gracie.
Who the heck do you think pay's now, the gate fairy?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Gracie, I think that most of us are talking about getting rid of the cards, not getting rid of the gates.
The gates would open automatically, after a few seconds, and still serve as traffic control.
Our Law Enforcement Group would still work well together, and Community Watch would still patrol.
For years, the Belvedere Gate opened automatically after about a five second wait.
A lot of people didn't realize it would open automatically and still used their cards.
When they installed the golf cart gate, they changed the car gate system to always requiring a card.
TY for explaining that to GG. very well put.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Gold member

just go thru the non resident gates......most of them open automatically......just pull up, sit a second, and bingo your in.....

no need to fish for your card and open your window.....
Old 02-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Who the heck do you think pay's now, the gate fairy?

I don't like people who don't believe in fairies.

What part of the east coast are you from?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Gate keys are a total waste of time.First off the villages is replacing gates that have been hit every single day.Next they stop no one form entering.Charles Mason and his family could use a gate to enter,if he wasn`t in prison.Pain in the neck opening your window in the pouring down rain to go threw a gate.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.
Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea? Let sleeping dogs lie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks for getting my original post back on track, Barefoot
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nelson View Post
As has been mentioned, TV is not really a gated community. I remember the the north entrance gate in Mulberry being stuck open for days. We are currently staying in River Wilderness in Parrish, FL. The gates here have an actual person at all hours. Very safe feeling.

My defending post on gates was directed at this post which I should have quoted.

I wasn't paying attention.

Trying to find my squirt gun for the smart mouth and the fairy jab..
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I don't like people who don't believe in fairies.

What part of the east coast are you from?
The Ohio part, you?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
my defending post on gates was directed at this post which i should have quoted.

I wasn't paying attention.

Trying to find my squirt gun for the smart mouth and the fairy jab..
lol!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
I like our gates the way they are. They slow down traffic enough that carts can safely cross over roads. They keep people from barreling around like teenagers...
As usual, what Gracie said.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.