Gates

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Platinum member
Default Gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I know this is wandering off the topic of roundabouts, but it's an interesting point, since The Villages really isn't a gated community at all.
The Gates do give some type of psychological security, but is it really worth the price.
Many of us were unaware when we purchased that the gates are there for traffic control.
The streets are owned by the County; they are public property. As Bonanza said, anyone can enter.
Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.
Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea? Let sleeping dogs lie?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.
Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea? Let sleeping dogs lie?
My thoughts are "Let sleeping dogs lie".........I like the false sense of security of a gate even with the ability for anyone to open them.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

IMHO the system serves several good purposes. No need to fiddle with it.

Unintended consequences.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

I guess you could assume that this topic has been discussed before. Reading these threads should give you the information you are seeking.

As a new resident I am curious as to why so many gates get damaged
Resident gate rain policy
Do we have gate guards or gate openers????
Gate Keepers....safe entry
Entry Gates
Belvedere Golf Cart Gate
Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Gold member

The only change I would like is to have a gate card that could be kept inside the car with no need to open a window and put your arm out. If the Turnpike can detect a Sun Pass at 25 MPH then I think a gate system could detect a gate card at 5 feet.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I guess you could assume that this topic has been discussed before. Reading these threads should give you the information you are seeking.

As a new resident I am curious as to why so many gates get damaged
Resident gate rain policy
Do we have gate guards or gate openers????
Gate Keepers....safe entry
Entry Gates
Belvedere Golf Cart Gate
I am aware of the numerous threads relative to gates but they cover many aspects. My intention was to keep focused on entrance gates opening in a manner similar to exit gates. This maintains the safety aspect without the need of a gate card.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Platinum member

I like the gates because it does slow people down especially before a roundabout and as a caution for golf carts entering the cross. However, I also would prefer something that could be read without opening the windows especially in the rain.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Best Idea Yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
The only change I would like is to have a gate card that could be kept inside the car with no need to open a window and put your arm out. If the Turnpike can detect a Sun Pass at 25 MPH then I think a gate system could detect a gate card at 5 feet.
This is the best idea yet! I hate the constant wear & tear on my electric window motor. They were not made for that much use I am sure, not to mention I dislike getting the inside of my vehicle wet when it is STORMING.

Another option would be the auto open gate like they use when a new Village is in "construction mode." It stops traffic long enough to get a visual on the vehicle license plates and also gives golf carts time to cross.

Clearly there has got to be a better way...
Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
My intention was to keep focused on entrance gates opening in a manner similar to exit gates. This maintains the safety aspect without the need of a gate card.
I like that idea. Keep the gates for traffic control, without the need for cards.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I like that idea. Keep the gates for traffic control, without the need for cards.

I'll 2nd that.....you've got my vote.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
YES
The Villages Florida
Old 02-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Gold member

Without cards, I think the incidence of broken gates and damaged vehicles would go up considerably. And, the carts would be backed up waiting for a break in the bumper to bumper line of cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Some people have too much time on their hands
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM

My card works at the Santiago gate without rolling the window down. Nice on a rainy day.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage

What's the difference what anyone thinks about the gates? It is what it is.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.