Gates

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
It seems like whenever there is a discussion about the gates that the concern about having to replace window motors is brought up.

I am just curious how many of you have had to replace the window motor for your driver's side window as a result of over-use. If so, how much did it cost you?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM

My card works with the window closed,I just slide it flat on the inside of the window ,even in the rain.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Most REAL gated communities have a decal on their car on the rear window which is automatically read for opening a gate. The method that is used here is archaic, but cheap!

Do you really think the powers that be care? Why should they? They don't have to use the gates a million times a day like we do.
A system such as that would work very well here in The Villages, especially if it could be linked to identify the vehicle going thru and causing damage to the gates because of their impatience! A bill or two itemizing the costs of damage or repair would do wonders to cool the jets of some of the pseudo-NASCAR drivers here!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
It seems like whenever there is a discussion about the gates that the concern about having to replace window motors is brought up.

I am just curious how many of you have had to replace the window motor for your driver's side window as a result of over-use. If so, how much did it cost you?
I had to replace the power window on my Dodge Ram truck years ago, before I owned a home here and when I had it done at the dealer's, the repair bill was approx. $475. OUCH!!

A couple of years later, the power window on the passenger door failed and didn't want another large repair bill. Looked on the internet, the motor cost approx. $70. Needed to buy a tool to pop the interior door panel off and a specialized TORX wrench set for screw removal and 1 hour later, I had a perfectly operational power window for under $100. Great videos online too that give tips etc. for the DIY crowd and a very easy job.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryh1943 View Post
Do what we do we going visitors gates to save us from opening are window all the time it does not take but may be 15 seconds and don't have to put your window in the rain. Works for us. We have doing 5 plus years.
Do you proofread your messages before posting? I would like to know what you were trying to say, it seemed important.
I agree with the need for the passes to work from a greater distance, I had never considered that my window would wear out until I read this, now I am wondering when it will fail. Furthermore how inconvenient to have to stick your arm out the window in a much too common Florida downpour.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
Except for the Resident Only gates I don't see the problem. We only use the Visitor gates now. We burned out one power window and won't do it again. Visitor gates are for residents, also.
Many gates are unmanned, ie Belvedere. So I have to stick arm out the window.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Without cards, I think the incidence of broken gates and damaged vehicles would go up considerably. And, the carts would be backed up waiting for a break in the bumper to bumper line of cars.
A gated community near Orlando had transponders. They stuck on your windshield and automatically opened the gate. Never was any backup and the gate closed after each car. Never saw a broken gate there.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
A system such as that would work very well here in The Villages, especially if it could be linked to identify the vehicle going thru and causing damage to the gates because of their impatience! A bill or two itemizing the costs of damage or repair would do wonders to cool the jets of some of the pseudo-NASCAR drivers here!

I have a theory about the broken gates. I have noticed that the reflective paint on the gate arms is not very reflective at night. The gate arm is a little too high for non SUV/Truck headlights to illuminate the reflective paint. I noticed this because I recently switched from a SUV to a sedan. It's very hard to see the gate arm at night. Of course this doesn't account for daytime incidents.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I have a theory about the broken gates. I have noticed that the reflective paint on the gate arms is not very reflective at night. The gate arm is a little too high for non SUV/Truck headlights to illuminate the reflective paint. I noticed this because I recently switched from a SUV to a sedan. It's very hard to see the gate arm at night. Of course this doesn't account for daytime incidents.
If you live here you know there is a gate.
If you don't live here one would think everything that surrounds the gate looks like something you have seen before that had a gate.
Someone posted a youtube video awhile ago of a cart slowly pushing the pole until it broke and than kept going.
I think that's how most of them get broken. Those kind of people don't change.
Let the gates open automatically.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Do you proofread your messages before posting? I would like to know what you were trying to say, it seemed important.
I agree with the need for the passes to work from a greater distance, I had never considered that my window would wear out until I read this, now I am wondering when it will fail. Furthermore how inconvenient to have to stick your arm out the window in a much too common Florida downpour.
How many times a year do you get your arm wet?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Villages Golf Cart Rampage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJTixaHac3c
Old 02-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Excellent video. I think I recognized VPL in one frame.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Platinum member

As the OP I request Admin to close this thread. The original purpose has been lost.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

Did anyone else see themselves in the movie?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Excellent video. I think I recognized VPL in one frame.
I just have to meet you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.