Gates and Posts

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2021, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Gates and Posts

Why not fix the gates to reduce or stop the many times they are knocked down and off the
blocks holding them up. We have lived in the Villages for quite a few years and have, during this time watched gates being knocked down and repair crews to put them back up. It is apparent a number of them can't be seen at night and in a few cases during the day. A very
simple fix is to first put strong reflectors on them and second hang down along them reflectors like strings. Regarding the posts that are at some of the golf cart entrances and exits. They should all be on springs to bend if hit so they are not knocked down. It appears this change has been implicated on some but not all. The way they are now they are a cash cow for the company that is contracted to repair them! At our Village the gates are knocked down about 2-3 times a month. Go figure?
Old 11-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Good ideas. I was thinking nay some type of solar led flashing lights..?
Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I posed a similar request to Sumter County (these are county roads) and was told the design was per Florida requirements and no changes would be made. My suggestion was to add a yellow triangular sign on the arm. I gave up.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

You could add an arm that was fully lighted and flashing and they would still be knocked down. For some reason some folks seem to disregard the fact that as a continually aging community there will always be folks who forget the gate arms are there, are distracted or to blind to notice.

A gate arm that had a pressure hinge and when hit released the gate arm to fold back would solve many issues, but the cost would be high and I've a feeling that the cost of the cheap aluminum ones prevents any real change.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The other problem is people try to tailgate the first vehicle to get through faster, I saw this a few days ago, and the second car just missed the gate arm.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

For my two cents worth-
It does not seem that all the gates are the same. As far as people hitting the arms, there are at least two problems. Depending on the light, they are often hard to see. Gates are often at golf cart crossings. So you need to deal with the gates and golf cart drivers.
I can think of one we regularly cross where you have both mentioned issues plus an attendant who nicely wishes you a good day as you are wrestling with your card, being close enough to the sensor, golf carts, other cars, walkers, bicycles, and light.

Repair of hit arms????? I've never hit one. But they seem to just snap back in. They seem to make a production over nothing.

Having it fold back, that would surely damage your car or golf cart.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

I too worry about the gates...keeps me awake at night.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:31 PM
Sage

I recall the gate arms being yellow and saying "Welcome Home" when we first came here. Easier to see. The red and white markings are not easy to see, especially at twilight, when they blend in the surrounding vegetation. A dumb idea on the State of Florida's part.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Many times the "missing" gates aren't knocked down they are simply stuck so they are taken off or the card readers fail and they have to remove the gate or keep it in the up position. The gate by Mallory CC is like that. Both sides, constantly not working (more often the outbound side). Repair guy says the mechanisms get stuck or get so slow they remove them until they are fixed. He said that is the problem all over. As far as the ones that actually get broken many times people try to sneak through right behind another car and all the flashing lights or yellow signs won't stop that. Obviously there are also blind old folks. You have to realize the mechanisms are as old as the areas they are in and for some that can be pretty old. Eventually they won't find spare parts.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The other problem is people try to tailgate the first vehicle to get through faster, I saw this a few days ago, and the second car just missed the gate arm.
That AND those crazy arms that refuse to go down between cars...and you are certain you are going to be boinked on the top of your car by it finally going down after you waited.....
Old 11-24-2021, 05:13 AM

What is the purpose of the gates anyway? They don't keep anyone from coming in. And the gate shacks? Do Villagers need to pay someone to smile and open the gate for everyone. I bet they are instructed to wave and smile just to give the impression of "the friendliest home town"' Gates and gate shacks are a ruse by the developer as marketing tools to fool gullible old people that they live in a safe gated community.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Get rid of the gates, and put in several speed ramps.
Cheaper, and much more efficient.
Drivers will soon learn to slow down to crawler speed!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Get rid of the gates, and put in several speed ramps.
Cheaper, and much more efficient.
Drivers will soon learn to slow down to crawler speed!
Boo Hiss Boo
Old 11-24-2021, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

How about one car going thru the gate at a time? The gate closes every five second but cars continuously tailgate thru.

The reflectors are a no per Community Watch although I don’t recall the reasons why.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
What is the purpose of the gates anyway? They don't keep anyone from coming in. And the gate shacks? Do Villagers need to pay someone to smile and open the gate for everyone. I bet they are instructed to wave and smile just to give the impression of "the friendliest home town"' Gates and gate shacks are a ruse by the developer as marketing tools to fool gullible old people that they live in a safe gated community.
Well if you have driven a golf cart on the rec trails very much you would know what the gates are for. Golf carts cross the roads just inside those gates so the gates are a necessity to give the golf carts a chance to cross safely
Closed Thread

Tags
knocked, gates, reflectors, put, repair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.