Gates and Posts

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,601 Times in 940 Posts

I would guess there are 100,000 to 200,000 interactions with the gates/intersections every day. If the arm hits a car 100 times, thats a pretty good ratio. Even if I doubles the number of gate interactions, Ill take those odds.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
You could add an arm that was fully lighted and flashing and they would still be knocked down. For some reason some folks seem to disregard the fact that as a continually aging community there will always be folks who forget the gate arms are there, are distracted or to blind to notice.

A gate arm that had a pressure hinge and when hit released the gate arm to fold back would solve many issues, but the cost would be high and I've a feeling that the cost of the cheap aluminum ones prevents any real change.
Exactly. All the extra bells and whistles won't prevent the clueless from wrecking them. We are very fortunate it's mainly gate arms being broken and not people.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmama18 View Post
At certain times of the day when the sun is low and directly ahead the gate arms are really hard to see.
And it's compounded because the gates keep changing locations and residents never know where they are.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

On the other hand, if folks knew how to drive and paid attention to their driving, there would be NO gates damaged. If you can't drive something as simple as a golf cart and abide by traffic rules then you shouldn't be allowed to drive, PERIOD.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
And it's compounded because the gates keep changing locations and residents never know where they are.
Far too subtle!
Old 11-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Far too subtle!
I caught that and commented with a gif, but it seems the powers that be are now removing all of them... Seems they have no sense of humor...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-25-2021, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,501 Posts
Default I wonder?

What percentage of damaged gates are actually the result of gates coming down on construction or landscape trailers?
Also, the number of folks residing outside the villages but use the roads as short cuts could also be doing a large portion of the damage, accidentally or intentionally.
And, does the person or persons always get caught?
Does the fine cover the actual cost of repair or replacement? It should.
And lastly, wouldn't this be a motor vehicle accident and be considered a hit and run, reported to law enforcement?
Old 11-25-2021, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Why not fix the gates to reduce or stop the many times they are knocked down and off the
blocks holding them up. We have lived in the Villages for quite a few years and have, during this time watched gates being knocked down and repair crews to put them back up. It is apparent a number of them can't be seen at night and in a few cases during the day. A very
simple fix is to first put strong reflectors on them and second hang down along them reflectors like strings. Regarding the posts that are at some of the golf cart entrances and exits. They should all be on springs to bend if hit so they are not knocked down. It appears this change has been implicated on some but not all. The way they are now they are a cash cow for the company that is contracted to repair them! At our Village the gates are knocked down about 2-3 times a month. Go figure?
The drain pipe held on by two plastic bolts. You can’t get no cheaper parts, but they can get better contract for repair. Nothing wrong with gates. Everything wrong with drivers.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I go with some resident don’t know where they are.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gates. They have reflective tape on them that shines when your lights hit them. If you knew how to operate a motor vehicle, you would not damage them or your vehicle. There is no need for speed bumps at the gated entrances. I see no reason for anyone to always be in a hurry once they are retired, UNLESS they have an emergency toilet situation....and I guess some folks do find that frequent in their old age.
Quit complaining about the gates. It's the drivers that are ALWAYS at fault. If you want change, then there are plenty of NON-gated communities that will accommodate your whims.
Only in the Villages do you see so much disgruntled moaning and groaning. For crying out loud, there are probably millions of folks all over the world that would like to be able to live here. If you don't like it here, move on and leave a vacancy. This is a great place. Better than I imagined when I was invited to visit and then immediately moved here.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gates. They have reflective tape on them that shines when your lights hit them. If you knew how to operate a motor vehicle, you would not damage them or your vehicle. There is no need for speed bumps at the gated entrances. I see no reason for anyone to always be in a hurry once they are retired, UNLESS they have an emergency toilet situation....and I guess some folks do find that frequent in their old age.
Quit complaining about the gates. It's the drivers that are ALWAYS at fault. If you want change, then there are plenty of NON-gated communities that will accommodate your whims.
Only in the Villages do you see so much disgruntled moaning and groaning. For crying out loud, there are probably millions of folks all over the world that would like to be able to live here. If you don't like it here, move on and leave a vacancy. This is a great place. Better than I imagined when I was invited to visit and then immediately moved here.

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 11-26-2021, 03:51 PM
Default Dim the Lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
I am much more concerned with the intensity of some of the lights at night at the gate. In St Cathrines, they are so bright and perfectly directed so you are blinded. A disaster waiting to happen.
Yes! Those lights ruin my night vision making it difficult to see pedestrians and golf carts.
Closed Thread

Tags
knocked, gates, reflectors, put, repair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.