Gator on St Chas Place

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Default Gator on St Chas Place

While returning home at 9:15 this morning , I turned right off Bailey Trail onto St Charles Place and saw a Community Watch vehicle in the eastbound golf cart lane just past Dove Hollow Run. Three guys were watching a small (est 3-4') gator walking west on the golf course very near the road. Maybe this is one of those times gators are on the move, but that is a very busy road and people walk their dogs along there regularly. FYI.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Cool Gator

Aren't the lakes in The Villages man made? How do the Gators get in the lakes? (Besides taking a left on Morse Blvd.)
Old 05-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage

Swim through the connecting culverts
Old 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Gold member
Default Build it and they will come

Doesn't matter if lakes are man-made or not (and some of the ones in TV are spring-fed, I've heard), gators will find water, be it ponds or ditches or whatever.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Gold member

We know we have a gator in the Pond right on Pennecamp Drive. Seen it a few times about 5 footer. Yesterday we saw some people, don't know who they were but they were swimming in that pond. On top of that the water looked scuzzy. Not my choice to swim with all the pools in TV.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM

People swimming in the pond!!!!!! That's so wrong! Obviously they are not aware of the chemicals, gators or snakes that reside in these ponds.

Oh well, it takes many types of folks to make a village.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Julie

My friend was watering plants when he felt something brush up against his leg. He screamed so loud when he saw the little guy that a lady walking down the street started screaming at his scream. Long story short, the gator finally made its way across the street and hopefully to another pond. Here is his picture.
gator-lees-porch-jpg
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
My friend was watering plants when he felt something brush up against his leg. He screamed so loud when he saw the little guy that a lady walking down the street started screaming at his scream. Long story short, the gator finally made its way across the street and hopefully to another pond. Here is his picture. Attachment 296
Yikes Julie, is that a true story? If so, does your friend back on a pond or a wildlife preserve?

I'm hoping you'll say that was a picture of a toy gator or lawn ornament.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Exclamation

Gators are a fact of life in Florida and young males and some older bulls are on the move finding their own territory and prospective mates. Gators in the wild are afraid of humans and avoid contact, but when fed by humans they lose their natural fear and become a nuisance and dangerous to you and pets. There is a death penalty for gators labeled nuisance.

Please do not feed them! Tell your guests the same thing. It is not cute to feed an alligator, it is dangerous and you are imposing a death penalty on the gator.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:04 AM

Last night we were driving home from the movie theater and came across a small gator that had been killed in the road by a vehicle. It was about two feet long and was on Bailey Trail in the Sunset Pointe area. I'm sure that Community Watch or someone else probably removed it from the road during the night. Poor little fella.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yikes Julie, is that a true story? If so, does your friend back on a pond or a wildlife preserve?

I'm hoping you'll say that was a picture of a toy gator or lawn ornament.

Yes it is a true story, although it is definitely small enough to look like a lawn ornament.

My neighbor has a beautiful pond directly behind his home that has gators in it. That is likely where this living lawn ornament emerged.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Julie

The Villages Florida
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Julie
Default Gator on the Move

Here are some more pictures of my friend's living lawn ornament on the move.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 05-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
My friend was watering plants when he felt something brush up against his leg. He screamed so loud when he saw the little guy that a lady walking down the street started screaming at his scream. Long story short, the gator finally made its way across the street and hopefully to another pond. Here is his picture.
Attachment 296
Julie, I can see the first picture you posted, but not subsequent pictures. Perhaps it is just my computer?

Chopper, that is a sad story about the little gator killed on Bailley. The gators must really be active right now. I know that large gators move around to mate, through the culverts, or over land. But I'm wondering, why are the little guys on the move?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.