Geckos in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
.... if there are many hanging around outside can an exterminator treat the area.
No need for an exterminator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
My understanding is that they are wonderful to have around because they eat pests.
Geckoes are wonderful and awfully cute.
If they get in my birdcage, I simply grab them with a soft towel and put them outside.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Can someone in the know tell us about the creature? Do they bite, can you pick them up, do they carry disease, do they lay eggs or live birth, if there are many hanging around outside can an exterminator treat the area, and anything else you can offer. Thanks.
No, no, no, they are HARMLESS. If you kill them off with poison you will have 10 times the insects/pests the feed on. The other insect you don't want to kill house cenepede, they virtually kill every insect pest that get in you house and works 24-7 don't lay eggs create webs just hunts 24 hours day.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

There are several different types of small lizards in The Villages and pretty much everywhere in Florida.

I like to see them and they do eat a lot of insects. My only problem is that they poop all over my front porch.

I've tried spraying Pine Sol which was recommended on this forum but it's not working. I also tried Snake Away which is a commercial product made to keep snakes away. I was hoping that it would also work for lizards but that didn't work either.

Any other suggestions?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

We find them cute and harmless and enjoy seeing them around because the eat lots of bugs. That are part of the food chain, they eat bugs and the birds eat them.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

My dog used to catch them and usually bit off the tail, which does grow back. They are good for keeping the bugs at bay and really are cute. They can and do get in the house, but if you see them, try and catch and release .
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM

The Anoles that we see everywhere are larger and more aggressive than the bright green Geickos that use to be so prevalent in Florida, just like those uglier brown Anoles. They either chased them away or killed them off because I have not seen a green Geicko in over 10 years. I understand, that Anoles are not native to Florida and they are dominate over Giekos, so now we have no more "pretty" lizards. I do believe they are still found in south Florida until they become extinct that is. Just like the Armadillo, when creatures enter a new place with similar temperatures from where they came from....they will disrupt both the enviroment and become a nusense or a burden.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Sage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I like to see them and they do eat a lot of insects. My only problem is that they poop all over my front porch.
The geckoes don't poop in my birdcage. Just limit the amount of bugs they eat.
Closed Thread

Tags
click, strip, villages, white, spines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.