Generation 3

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
That is how to do it,
Cell Companies have zero interest in looking back to support older phones.....
BUY A NEW PHONE OR GO AWAY is how they talk.
Reality, you have no other carriers to go to.

Remember the person pumping you to buy is a low educated flit that makes $7.80 per hour after taxes. Take a guess why they are aloof?

All my kids have high level degrees. That is called parenting.

lets do some math. After taxes
$7.80 per hour
$312 for a 40 hour week.
$3,744 per year

Unlivable.

On average, most spend close to that on food and gas.

That explains the BUMs in front of Walmart

Thanks WH

OUT!
I guess math wasn't your strong point in school?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-26-2021, 11:27 AM
Exclamation Bit of hyperbole

Generation 4 phones have been out since 2008. Unless you have a 10 year old phone (by 12 no one wanted G3) then you already have a phone that will work. Scare tactics to increase sales are a bit tacky.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Do you think that the carriers will be able to switch over all 51,000 cell towers as of January 1st 2022? In reality it will probably take one to three years and I'm sure a central Florida The villages is not on their priority list. Like most things in life I don't sweat the small stuff. I use a monthly plan and no one's told me anything yet as far as 4G is concerned, and then this will be 5G and 6G and 7g. And by the way I'm still waiting for the TV stations to broadcast in the 16,000 definition and everyone's been promising for 5 years!
No, but by February 2022 they say they can.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNotFromNYC View Post
Generation 4 phones have been out since 2008. Unless you have a 10 year old phone (by 12 no one wanted G3) then you already have a phone that will work. Scare tactics to increase sales are a bit tacky.
My 90 year old mother-in-law does have a 10+ year old G3 flip phone. I have tried for years to talk her into getting a smartphone but she is a major technophobe and wouldn't consider replacing her antique. That is really unfortunate because it would have been easier for her to learn to use a new phone several years ago before her current memory issues developed. Maybe I can find her something similar but with 4G capabilities before her phone becomes a doorstop. Wish me luck!

kathy
Old 09-26-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
My 90 year old mother-in-law does have a 10+ year old G3 flip phone. I have tried for years to talk her into getting a smartphone but she is a major technophobe and wouldn't consider replacing her antique. That is really unfortunate because it would have been easier for her to learn to use a new phone several years ago before her current memory issues developed. Maybe I can find her something similar but with 4G capabilities before her phone becomes a doorstop. Wish me luck!

kathy
Tracfone has a very nice (and cheap) 4G Flip phone with large numbers on the keypad. Your mother-in-law might be content with that.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For the ten years I've lived in TV I've had an AT&T Go Phone, or most recently an AT&T Prepaid Phone (some would it a burner phone). I buy the phones at Walmart, Walgreens or wherever for $10, the last one was $27, they went up. The phones would generally die after about 3 years and a battery was more expensive than just buying a new phone. I would buy a 1,000 minutes for 12 months for $100. I don't use the phone that much since I had a landline at home, so it a good cheap service, mostly for emergencies when I was out and about.

Last year they sent me an email saying at the end of this year my 3G phone would no longer work. I switched in April to Consumer Cellular. I get unlimited talk, text and 3 GB of data for $22.50 a month, so I got two lines for $45 a month. I got in on the end of a promotion, the first five months $20 off the bill, so it's only been $25 each month.

I bought two Moto G Stylus phones from Consumer Cellular for $179 a piece and the SIM cards came loaded in the phone. I liked having the stylus because it's sometimes it's hard to type on those keyboards and stylus pen makes it easier and then it slides back into the phone for storage. The screen is bigger than others I've seen on friends. I can read it without even putting on classes and of course you can stretch the type and things out with your fingers.

I could get by with less data, instead 3GB they offer 500mb for $20 a month with unlimited talk & text, but for only $5 more for two lines, why worry about the usage. I normally use my computer for the internet, but sometimes you're out and about. On the golf course and I want to see the weather, in a waiting room and time to kill, whatever.

I had a landline with Centurylink which added about $43 to my monthly bill, so by cancelling that landline, it almost pays for my Consumer Cellular bill and I've eliminated all scam and robo calls. Now my Centurylink bill is just $49 a month for 100 mbps of internet guaranteed for life. I guess since the number is new, the scammers haven't got my number and in five months I've only seen two unwanted calls, but they didn't even ring, Consumer Cellular has the ability to screen calls and blocks known scammers. I just see a note, scam caller and it doesn't even ring, but asked if I wanted to block the number.

Consumer Cellular Cell Phones & Plans | Consumer Cellular
Old 09-26-2021, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Tracfone has a very nice (and cheap) 4G Flip phone with large numbers on the keypad. Your mother-in-law might be content with that.
Thanks. I was looking at that after I posted. The button layout is very similar to her antique so yes, she might be able to use it without too much trouble. I will keep it in mind.

k.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:05 PM
Sage

You multiplied $312 per week by "12" instead of "52". The number is $16,224, not $3,744.

Quote:
$7.80 per hour
$312 for a 40 hour week.
$3,744 per year

Unlivable.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
I have an older (but a goodie) BMW, and I was advised by BMW that the features that use 3G (emergency road service call, etc.) would stop working at the end of 2021. There was no upgrade they were trying to sell me so I think it's legit.
The plot thickens. My Chevy has onstar typical of tech sales. they give you a trial and then once you are hooked they bill you. I told them I didn't want the service. They do eventually give up bugging you. It took years. Emergency road service, if it is 3 g I don't care. I never had it. Terms of old cars. My friend has an Alpha Romero that takes 8 track tapes.

If, it is important to, I expect someone has a solution or there will be one shortly.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
That is how to do it,
Cell Companies have zero interest in looking back to support older phones.....
BUY A NEW PHONE OR GO AWAY is how they talk.
Reality, you have no other carriers to go to.

Remember the person pumping you to buy is a low educated flit that makes $7.80 per hour after taxes. Take a guess why they are aloof?

All my kids have high level degrees. That is called parenting.

$7.80 per hour
$312 for a 40 hour week.
$3,744 per year

Unlivable.

On average, most spend close to that on food and gas.

That explains the BUMs in front of Walmart

Thanks WH

OUT!
Not sure what your point is. Quote minimum wage, does not include free medical care, food stamps etc. For many the difference between success and failure is that failure is not an option to consider. At least no an option I ever considered. As a kid, my family was poor. I was still taught, shame on my parents for this, that you work for what you need and there is a difference between what you need and what you want.
Closed Thread

Tags
generation, phone, cell, phones, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.