Generator Purchase

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our little Generator has been out 5 times so far for short periods of time. Under 30 hours total. No complaints so far. I do exactly what the manual says.

The toughest part was putting the 10,000 BTU A/C in the window but only one time after the initial fitting. It ran great and cooled the Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen. We can run the A/C, Full-Size Fridge, TV, Modem, BI/PAP & a Fan and the generator still could have handled more. The Fuel Usage was Chicken Feed!

Toymeister suggested an Oil Dipstick that is actually a Magnet. It did attract small pieces of metal from inside the engine during break-in. Saved me a possible big headache. There were also pointers on Youtube about Venting the Cabinet the encloses the Engine. That was simple. Next year a Carb that allows me to switch from Gas to Propane. I'm very happy for the help on this thread and that I posted instead of making a mistake.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Keep your car filled, get a good siphon and you’ll have at least 15-20 gallons of fresh gas always available for a gas/propane generator.
you cant do that on the new cars , it has a check valve in the fill neck.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
I have a 2018 Hyundai and The Dealer says Siphoning is a no go but I say it was no problem Taking or Putting Back unused gas after the storm. Didn't spill a drop the second time.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
It is possible to syphon from a automobile gas tank. See Gas Tapper - Products to Siphon / Transfer Gas, Diesel,Fuel & Water for a list of new, modern, vehicles with anti syphon check valve equipped vehicles that this has been used on. It is also available on Amazon.

They have two versions of this product one is 99.00 the other is 189.00

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-25-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:14 AM

I saw the before and after of someone who had a large propane tank installed with a generator. I don’t know the installer, but afterward one could not tell they had dug up the yard to install the tank (except for just the very top of the tank showing). Impressive. That installation was done On a house that backs up to Moyer Loop.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I saw the before and after of someone who had a large propane tank installed with a generator. I don’t know the installer, but afterward one could not tell they had dug up the yard to install the tank (except for just the very top of the tank showing). Impressive. That installation was done On a house that backs up to Moyer Loop.
Tom, hope things are going well getting set up in your new home.

These Installers really have their act together. They have done 8 homes in our neighborhood and there is zero evidence that they were ever there burying a tank. No exaggeration, there is not a pebble out of place or any dirt in the road.

Having a Generac installed is a winner all around if you have a Medical need or just want the convenience of not having to goof around with the things that are necessary for a portable unit.

As I age I would not hesitate for a second to go the Generac route but for now, I'm as happy as a clam at high tide.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:44 AM

I bought a 9375 generator dual fuel i have a buried propane tank so i have plenty of propane had a hook up from the tank that the generator and hook into. Had an electrical plug outside of the electrical panel. Easy to hook up and use. Noise not a problem because you do not have to run it 24/7 I trickle charge the battery periodically so the starting of generator is easy
Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
It is possible to syphon from a automobile gas tank. See Gas Tapper - Products to Siphon / Transfer Gas, Diesel,Fuel & Water for a list of new, modern, vehicles with anti syphon check valve equipped vehicles that this has been used on. It is also available on Amazon.

They have two versions of this product one is 99.00 the other is 189.00
Exactly.
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, neighbors, house, long, power

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.