Generator Purchase

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage

///

Last edited by mulligan; 07-19-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I've been here over 8 years, and spent a total of 3 hrs. (+/-) without power. Seems like a major waste of money, or perhaps conspicuous consumption.
I definitely understand and to some extent agree. That's why this has been so helpful with the give and take from everyone. We are in Orange Blossom Gardens. Our area was without any power for I believe it was 8 days. When we got back from a dear friends house in Georgia who took us in for about a week we drove in the Boone gate and made a left and Followed West Schwartz all the way around before we headed to our home.

No exaggeration, we saw some Heartbreaking Situations with people of advanced age, we are about 60 they were older. It was very sad. I promised myself to not get caught again and to do my best for the future. Of course, I postponed and here we are.

I hope I buy the machine and break it in and maintain it and never use it. I'm going today to get it. Wish me luck.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Nucky, my parents lived for decades very close to your place. They never had a power outage they could remember but they were seasonal residents. My brother is an engineer and he had a small portable generator ready for them to use. They felt better knowing that it was there for them in an emergency.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

I would buy three more things based upon my experience w/o power and eventually water.

Two buckets from Lowe's w/ lids
25' rope
Bathtub Bob https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emer.../dp/B001AXLUX2

You will have water until the tower runs dry. Then use buckets and the local pond for filling the toilet.

The tub water storage bag has all the potable water you need. Which you fill once the power is out. It's a better option than your water heater tank due to the risk of Legionaire's.

For 50.00 you get a lot of knowledge that you will live in relative comfort.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I've been here over 8 years, and spent a total of 3 hrs. (+/-) without power. Seems like a major waste of money, or perhaps conspicuous consumption.
That sounds a bit presumptuous. Tell that to the thousands of residents in the hundreds of homes who lived where Nucky lives when the entire area was without power for over a week after the last "small" hurricane blew through. Kinda doubt it would be "Conspicuous consumption" for them. Maybe "once bitten, twice shy" might be a better description.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage

Well, yesterday we went to Harbor Freight and bought The Predator 3kw Inverter Generator Model 3500. It was a little over $650 and then the First gas can $35 (Metal) Stabile for the fuel and a funnel. It fit in the back seat of a Sonata to give you an idea of the size. So far just a little over $700 and we are almost ready to go. Just have to find the correct window A/C.

The final decision was the fuel-sipping point that Toymeister brought up several days ago. Then my wife surprised me by not needing the entire house lit up as normal. We camped a whole lot when the kids were young so her positive attitude about roughing it for a bit was great, she always comes thru in a pinch. The main thing is the necessities are or will be covered so it won't be exactly roughing it but not exactly roughing it either.

I found out about a Propane Conversion kit that is available. This is important to me as I would like to balance the Fuel use between Gasoline and Propane. I am confident in my ability to retrofit this Generator. Consumer Report Rated this particular unit one small notch behind The Honda Units. The price was about half of the Honda units. It came in as the Third Highest Rated out of many. I feel that with the help of many I made a better decision than if I had acted alone and bought The Behemoth Gas Gulping Unit that I was first considering.

I like the Alarm they sell that goes off if you run out of fuel or if someone is trying to steal it and the gas cap that can increase the time between refueling. I bought another camera so I can take a look at what is going on without outside. So Mission Impossible or Improbable has turned out to be Mission almost complete. Now I have to finish the job down to the last drop.

Thank's again for all your ideas and help, much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Take a look at possibly adding the Gas Tapper for syphoning fuel from your car if needed, a great backup and alternative to storing a larger quantity of gasoline. Sounds like you made a well thought out decision.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Platinum member

Congratulations!

If You want to take this to the next level:

Install this: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-55201-Mag...gateway&sr=8-1
Break engine in
Run dry
Drain carb by opening the small brass screw attached to the clear drain tube to empty the carb bowl
Purchase American made spark plug to replace the Chinese one, but keep it for spare
Change oil and have a replacement quart on hand

As far as the A.C. Try Aldi grocery store for their 7,000 a.c. Unit for 199.00

Propane, I get the draw but think hard about this. Liquid propane has 74% of the energy gasoline does, so you need 1/3 more on hand. Second propane needs 20% head space in the tank. So a 50 gallon tank holds 40 gallons and is as useful as 28 gallons of gas.

Again if this 3500 watt unit does not start your ac unit in testing I have the solution. I just am not intersested in the peanut gallery comments if I post it now.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Congratulations!

If You want to take this to the next level:

Install this: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-55201-Mag...gateway&sr=8-1
Break engine in
Run dry
Drain carb by opening the small brass screw attached to the clear drain tube to empty the carb bowl
Purchase American made spark plug to replace the Chinese one, but keep it for spare
Change oil and have a replacement quart on hand

As far as the A.C. Try Aldi grocery store for their 7,000 a.c. Unit for 199.00

Propane, I get the draw but think hard about this. Liquid propane has 74% of the energy gasoline does, so you need 1/3 more on hand. Second propane needs 20% head space in the tank. So a 50 gallon tank holds 40 gallons and is as useful as 28 gallons of gas.

Again if this 3500 watt unit does not start your ac unit in testing I have the solution. I just am not intersested in the peanut gallery comments if I post it now.
Just ordered the magnetic DipStick from Amazon. It will probably be here this afternoon. LOL.

We'll wait for the other solution if I have a problem. Thank's Again.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Toymeister, your comments are really appreciated. I am learning from them too.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Toymeister, your comments are really appreciated. I am learning from them too.
Yes! Very informative and helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Platinum member

In preparation for power outage you are only as good as your weakest link.

For a gasoline generator it is the varnish in the gasoline from old gas, specifically the tiny bit in the carb bowl. That's why these little gensets have a drain tube attached to them.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:10 AM

I haven't used Generac, but i have experience with solar generators.
I've divorced, and moved to another house. In new place there are troubles with electricity, that's why i decided to buy generator. On one of forums i was advised to buy a solar generator. I like all eco-things, so that decision was easy for me. It's just pleasant to understand, that you doing nothing harmful to environment, especially in front of your own nose)
I understand, that solar generators have lower capacity of batteries and lower output power, but for me it's good option. In my house electricity can disappear for 4-5 hours, all the time i work at home (i'm designer), so i use my generator actively and it hasn't let me down yet. So think about it, may be it'll be good for you too.
This overview will be useful if you decide to buy solar generator, there are 9 of them completely described with all pros and cons stuff.
I chose Rockpalls 300W, and i'm a lucky duck with it!
Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 AM

I had Accurate Power and Technology come out and do a home evaluation 352-735-8285. They are Kohler and Generac dealers. They do the entire install, electric, gas or l/p, permits and service. They do stand alone units and smaller units, even portable. I am in a similar situation with my husbands medical and heat issues. I choose a automatic unit as he instantly had power vs trying to get a portable unit set up and started.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 AM

I have a 9375 dual generator for two years I have a propane tank is my yard so I had a outlet set up that I just plug it in when needed as well as a plug put need my electrical box on the outside. Easy to use and set up I also bought a 20lb propane tank just because. If you want to see it just send me a note
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, neighbors, house, long, power

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.