Generator Purchase

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 PM

I have had a Natural Gas supplied Generac Whole house generator. Installed in 2014, serviced once a year, runs a test cycle weekly. Still looks like the day it was installed.
Yes it is loud when there is no other noise but not to detriment on our neighbors.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

We are considering one for our house in TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

I have a 15 kw Generac for my home up north (natural gas) 7 years old no problems. We have frequent power outages.

Never had an outage in 7 years in The Villages. If you run on gasoline you are probably going to burn gallons per hour
Old 07-15-2019, 08:07 PM

Just my opinion-

After experiencing many hurricanes where the power was out for many days and life without electricity is unbearable, allow me to provide you with a suggestion...
Since the probability of loosing your power for an extended period of time due to a hurricane while living in The Villages is minimal and the expense of a full size
home generator is exorbitant, I'd seriously just leave the area, check into a hotel in a different area of Florida and ride out the electrical outage.

Last edited by jcvdd1; 07-15-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
Keep your car filled, get a good siphon and you’ll have at least 15-20 gallons of fresh gas always available for a gas/propane generator.
Good idea. However most cars now have baffles in the fill neck to prevent siphoning.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

We have a 3,000W Honda that is real quiet. It'll power a refrigerator/freezer, TV and lights without any problem. It's really quiet too. You could have an electrician install a small transfer switch and power the circuits you want. Did I mention it was quiet? lol

Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I like quiet and I like Honda and we definitely gave the bailing out idea some serious consideration but I'm gonna sleep on it overnight so I don't have Buyers Remorse.

I think I'm getting old. What the hell is the problem with making a simple decision?

K-man, the baby I'm looking at has to run the Central A/C!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I like quiet and I like Honda and we definitely gave the bailing out idea some serious consideration but I'm gonna sleep on it overnight so I don't have Buyers Remorse.

I think I'm getting old. What the hell is the problem with making a simple decision?

Why not have a window AC unit in the shed for emergencies? If "it" hits the fan, you can put that puppy in the bedroom and the generator could probably handle that just fine without needing it to run the whole house's central AC system.

The rest of the house will be just as miserable as you'd expect, but you'd only have to go to your own bedroom to cool off.

I'm guessing during emergencies, the "rules and regs" about window units are tabled. I doubt anyone from the watch will come over and order you to remove it, if there's no power in the area and you're running a generator for a few days.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just a chicken little the sky is falling..You need this sales pitch
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Why not have a window AC unit in the shed for emergencies? If "it" hits the fan, you can put that puppy in the bedroom and the generator could probably handle that just fine without needing it to run the whole house's central AC system.

The rest of the house will be just as miserable as you'd expect, but you'd only have to go to your own bedroom to cool off.

I'm guessing during emergencies, the "rules and regs" about window units are tabled. I doubt anyone from the watch will come over and order you to remove it, if there's no power in the area and you're running a generator for a few days.
We have one other person to consider if the power went out. No way we would leave this person behind if we bailed out and NO way would this person stay in our bedroom so there is the dilemma. I didn't factor this into my early thinking. Thankfully my wife brought it up.

The guy across the street from me had a whopper sized Generator when we got the green lite to return and that power had been restored. The news was slightly premature. The noise from that Generator was just terrible. I didn't pay attention to exactly what size Generator it was and he moved. I'm gonna go with the best I have figured on over and over and I have a feeling if I do purchase it we will never need it. Hope I'm still laughing for years to come.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

In our village there are several all home generators.
During the most recent hurricane, every one of these folks offered the neighborhood.....if the porch lights are on come on over and charge what ever needs charging....and will figure out other more critical needs (if at all possible).

Good neighbors (and maybe noise mitigation tactic!).
Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

One problem of bailing out you might find a lot of your neighbors have done this and driving on the roads and getting gas maybe a bigger problem than staying home.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

I actually lived through a six day power outage with a massive regional impact. No gasoline for 125 miles. No generators for sale for 250 miles. Curfews region wide.

What I have now is what I have then:

One Honda inverter 1 kw genset
One generic 2kw inverter genset
One window AC unit

While my neighbors suffered, scrambled for gasoline, endured screaming whole house generators, evacuated or camped out. I enjoyed internet, TV, a fridge, hot food.

I had a great vacation. And I am several thousands of dollars ahead.

It is vastly different giving advise for something you have not experienced vs. having lived it.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I actually lived through a six day power outage with a massive regional impact. No gasoline for 125 miles. No generators for sale for 250 miles. Curfews region wide.

What I have now is what I have then:

One Honda inverter 1 kw genset
One generic 2kw inverter genset
One window AC unit

While my neighbors suffered, scrambled for gasoline, endured screaming whole house generators, evacuated or camped out. I enjoyed internet, TV, a fridge, hot food.

I had a great vacation. And I am several thousands of dollars ahead.

It is vastly different giving advise for something you have not experienced vs. having lived it.
How much gasoline do you keep on hand and how do you store it?
Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
How much gasoline do you keep on hand and how do you store it?
Here is a better way to answer that. How long do you want to have power?

The 1kw uses .7 gallons per 11 hours. It will run TV, fan, fridge, modem, microwave, some lights and some chargers for electronics. It won't run AC. That requires the 2k unit which burns 1.1 per 10 hours. Now I am talking a mid size portable AC unit.

At a minimum I have 5 gallons in the carts. If it is a hurricane I have bought 15 gallons more in the carts and portable cans. I add preservatives to the gas.

In almost all situations you only need three days of support before some sort of assistance arrives.

If your point is gensets use a lot of fuel, I wholeheartedly agree. I had neighbors run out after a day or two. That's why I have gone with small fuel sippers.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

We have a Kohler standby generator up north. It kicks in within about 5 seconds of the power going off, but it is noisy and at night you can hear it half a block away. We have amazing neighbors and we offer them to hook up to our outside outlets (the generator produces 50 amps). And it auto tests once a week for 20 minutes, sounds like a power gas mower.
I noticed that TV wiring is underground except for the large power lines, so outages are not that frequent I guess. Am I correct, or do I need a generator in TV too (I have gas utilities)?

Last edited by Velvet; 07-16-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
unit, neighbors, house, long, power

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.