German cockroaches.....

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
What is the difference between a german cockroach and a palmetto bug and a regular old cockroach?
About 4,300 miles.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Sage

The palmetto bug is huge, dark glossy brown and can be shot and killed with a BB gun, which my husband once did in Texas. The German cockroach is small and skittish and a lot of them come home from the from the supermarket with the groceries. I don't know about any other kinds of roaches and I hope I never do!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
The palmetto bug is huge, dark glossy brown and can be shot and killed with a BB gun, which my husband once did in Texas. The German cockroach is small and skittish and a lot of them come home from the from the supermarket with the groceries. I don't know about any other kinds of roaches and I hope I never do!
Great post Carla, as usual.

I am so glad no one said that German Cockroaches are stubborn. I wouldn't be surprised. Ja.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Here is what works: RAID Roach Gel (syringe dispenser) or Combat Max Gel (syringe dispenser.) One or the other can be found at Home Depot or Office Max.
Thanks, Carl. One of the pest control companies I used removed some switchplates in order to put gel inside the walls in addition to the interior locations such as under the sinks. Is that something you recommend?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Don't waste your time with sprays or dusts, and don't feel you need to spend big money on professional services in order to kill off German Roaches. (Remember that in my youth I was an Orkin man.)

When I was a pest control professional German Roaches were a special problem and could not be controlled by the sprays that we used for other pests. The spray that we used to control German Roaches is no longer available to the public.

Here is what works: RAID Roach Gel (syringe dispenser) or Combat Max Gel (syringe dispenser.) One or the other can be found at Home Depot or Office Max.

You simply apply a bit of the gel in several locations around the infested area, usually the kitchen, and the roaches are attracted to the gel, which they walk through and ingest.

Read and follow the instructions carefully. Do not apply the gel where children or pets can reach it. Do not apply it where spray poison has been applied, and do not spray poison over the gel where applied.

Quite simply, it works! I wouldn't use anything else for control of a German Roach problem. Of course it kills other roaches too.
Good info in case I ever need it.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
I agree with Gracie!! When we first moved here (Imwas here alone until my husband was able to retire, about 6 month) the villa was infested with “palmettos”.... AKA..ugly huge cockroaches! I was on the phone every other day with Massey. He did tell me it would probably take 3 months to get completely rid of them. He got rid of them sooner! Love Massey!

I love Massey too (for so many reasons) almost as much as Gracie Loves the Morses. LOL Seriously, I have annual contracts with Massey for irrigation, landscaping and pest control. I cannot sing their praises enough.

However --- when it comes to extermination, my philosophy is keep the exterminator and give me a carpenter! I think the secret is to constantly SEAL, SEAL, SEAL all the cracks, crevices and other points of entry. Although the bugs can get through the smallest spaces, they can not pass through matter. So start with keeping them out. Then the exterminating will probably be limited to the occasional stray (or its egg) who may have come in with a box or something. Or the bugger who slipped in under your garage door, etc, etc. And don't forget to spray your perimeter whenever you or your neighbors have the palms pruned since the bugs have been known to inhabit the leaves.

It is a battle but we can win the war! I learned this when, as a young woman I lived in a 60-unit apartment building in New York City 59 apartments were overrun with roaches and 1 (mine) was roach free. I sealed that apartment so well that although I refused the services of the monthly exterminator that the building provided, I lived roach free for years at a time.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

When I moved out of OKC to county on hails two acres the house was infested with brown recluse spiders. The older people that lived there was almost blind I was very surprised they didn't get bit? The spiders were everywhere. In the attic, under the everything behind beds, under the sinks. Bug bombing wiped them out. The problem with wondering spider same for cockroaches they hid during the day and wonder at night. The spiders would come down for the attic, so I had to bug bomb the attic. Took three sections to wipe them out and any eggs that hatched Bug bombing is the same as the house in bag gassing. It kills anything that breath air. Cost me about 100 bucks for the three gassing and yard treatment.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is one bug that I wouldn't ask the cost to get rid of, different from the big Florida Palmetto bugs which I don't like either.

Those kind of bugs make my skin crawl and I would spare no expense to get the most effective way to get rid of them immediately.

My take on the situation.
I'm with graciegirl on this one! We got an infestation of Germans when we got new kichen appliaces. As I had never seen those before I naturally looked them up. The information I got online was this type of infestation required professional treatment. It took 2 treatments before the little buggers were gone!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologal View Post
I'm with graciegirl on this one! We got an infestation of Germans when we got new kichen appliaces. As I had never seen those before I naturally looked them up. The information I got online was this type of infestation required professional treatment. It took 2 treatments before the little buggers were gone!

New appliances come with German cockroaches ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
New appliances come with German cockroaches ?

No. Just Germans. They ARE pretty good cooks.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Gold member

How can u tell they are German?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post

They march well ?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
They are from Cincinnati.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Default I see nothing!

Quote:
I Know Nothing - YouTube
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Platinum member
Talking Use the gel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Thanks, Carl. One of the pest control companies I used removed some switchplates in order to put gel inside the walls in addition to the interior locations such as under the sinks. Is that something you recommend?
The Combat Max gel includes a diagram of the recommended locations where to apply the gel. Mainly they suggest putting it in cracks and crevices, like between the stove and the adjacent cabinet.

They do not recommend putting gel inside switch plates or other electrical connections. I think they are concerned about liability issues if they make such a recommendation, but it is also not necessary. The insects who walk through or eat the gel take some of it back to the nest, which is soon destroyed.

There is something about the gel as food that attracts the roaches.

Remember: no applications of the gel where small children or pets can get to it.

I'll say it again: there is nothing better for killing German Roaches.

Tags
german, kitchen, cockroaches, $100, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.