getting cigarette smell out of house?

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2020, 05:53 AM
Default Ozone Generator

Many people have mentioned ozone generator. Ozone generator have been used by professional restoration companies for years. Fire departments used to have them many years ago in the area I was from that used to leave in homes to get the smell of a fire out of a building. I have worked in homes that were were previously in a fire and only noticed the charred joists or studs. Ozone generators were used to get the smell out. If you google getting smoke out of cars you will see information about cleaning everything but again it will be mentioned to use a ozone generator.

Be careful! Ozone is good in the upper atmosphere but not safe for us above certain levels. Read instructions or use professionals.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:46 AM

An ozone generator will do the job. Put enough ozone generators in the house to cover the square footage of the house, based on the capacity of the generators. Turn on the ozonators, close up the house, and vacate the premises for 3 days to let them do the job. After three days, you will need to open up the house to dissipate the ozone before breathing it substantially. This method worked for a smoke laden house I bought a few years back. (They covered up the smoke smell with the smell of freshly baked cookies when showing the house.) No other cleaning or painting was needed. I have used an ozone generator to remove house odors since then.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:47 AM

This is the correct answer. Call a company specializing in odor removal. It will work. Cleaning yourself is tedious and does not guarantee results.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:29 AM

Put vinegar and a sponge in multiple bowls around the house leave them for a Few days and it will remove the smell. This is the same technique they use to remove the smell of death,it works! I have personally used this method for cigarette smoke.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 AM

confront the contractors and find the perps. then demand that they clean your place up for you
Old 02-26-2020, 08:01 AM

You need to repaint and use kilz first. Then shampoo carpets. Its everywhere. We had a condo the lady was a smoker and we tore everything out. Contractors are not suppose to smoke on jobs
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjzimmer3517 View Post
An ozone generator will do the job. Put enough ozone generators in the house to cover the square footage of the house, based on the capacity of the generators. Turn on the ozonators, close up the house, and vacate the premises for 3 days to let them do the job. After three days, you will need to open up the house to dissipate the ozone before breathing it substantially. This method worked for a smoke laden house I bought a few years back. (They covered up the smoke smell with the smell of freshly baked cookies when showing the house.) No other cleaning or painting was needed. I have used an ozone generator to remove house odors since then.

Vacating for 3 days is not necessary with some programs.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Interesting! Are they silent or at least quiet? My my is a vegetarian and when she roasts, cooks or bakes cauliflower, brussels sprouts or broccoli I have to leave the house. That might be the answer to make both her and I happy she eats that stuff. For some reason, even when reheated the smell nauseates me.

How long would it take to "clear the air"?

Edit: Just read this: "Please note that ALL ozone generators on the market are meant to be used in unoccupied spaces" so that may not work. Oh well.

Very quite.

There are different settings from: Zap the area (which is leave for 90 minutes, plants are fine) to lower settings that can run around the clock and you can stay in the house.

Research more.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:34 AM

We have used salt lamps purchased at the Salt store off Fennel on 441/27. They seemed to work.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to esteelenov

I agree about an Ozonator. I was in sales in my former life and traveled and stayed in motels and hotels. One time in particular I was given a hotel room that reeked of cigar smoke. When I complained that I always requested a non-smoking room, I was told to give them a couple of hours and have dinner on them. When I arrived back and entered my room it was perfect. It actually smelled like it does after a thunder storm with no trace of cigar smoke. They had used an ozonator.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
i have a villa that some work was done while i was away, and obviously the workers smoked in my home,, there were numerous companies were in and out, and figuring out which one it was would impossible,,, enough background,, onto my problem villa smells like an ashtray, i have a very very sensitive nose! are there companies that specialize in this type work, has anyone actually experienced this and achieved success? if so who did u use?
Place a small bowl of white vinegar, or a few, out overnight. I do this when the guys have a cigar in basement....it works!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:08 AM
Default Smoke Smell

If you are looking for a professional to remove the smoke smell from your home, I would call my insurance company. They will have names of companies that they use after a fire to remove smoke smell.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Interesting! Are they silent or at least quiet? My my is a vegetarian and when she roasts, cooks or bakes cauliflower, brussels sprouts or broccoli I have to leave the house. That might be the answer to make both her and I happy she eats that stuff. For some reason, even when reheated the smell nauseates me.
LOL! Good to know that I'm not the only one that can't stand certain food odors just as much as obnoxious tobacco smoke. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, chili, and coffee literally make me gag. To me, they smell worse than skunk odor. And I never cook fish at home.
I use aromatherapy diffusers and have had good luck with them. They are not expensive and worth a shot.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Default Smoke smell

Quote:
i have a villa that some work was done while i was away, and obviously the workers smoked in my home,, there were numerous companies were in and out, and figuring out which one it was would impossible,,, enough background,, onto my problem villa smells like an ashtray, i have a very very sensitive nose! are there companies that specialize in this type work, has anyone actually experienced this and achieved success? if so who did u use?
Put crockpot FULL of onions and water. Leave cover off, run 24 hours or until you feel it needs replacing. Throw out and repeat.
And the onions will be black. Repeat 4 or 5 times as needed.
My smoke smell was in a car (more confined) so you may need to move to rooms where it it worst.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Why would you let anybody but family come in your home when you're not there, are you nuts. Haven't you heard or read about contractors coming in homes when you are not there & just went out for the evening & coming home to find your home has been robbed. Personally I think you just learned a valuable lesson about being home to make sure things like these smokers stinking up your home. Air purifiers won't get the stink out of your house. All these things do is re-filter the air in your home, it doesn't take the stink out of your carpet or curtains if you have curtains. People that smoke think whole house filter purify everything ,they're used to the smoke smells. Your better off to just open all of your windows & let the air blow through your home during the daylight hours. Good luck, hope this was a lesson to you about not being there when work is being done. You really know you can't blame the workers for not smoking because it sounded like you never told them that they couldn't. I do sympathize with you though! Nothing worse than making your home smell like a BAR.
Closed Thread

Tags
villa, work, companies, specialize, nose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.