getting cigarette smell out of house?

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2020, 11:22 AM

We had a problem with a car that a family member smoked in. We tried everything for weeks so we could sell it. Finally I called a company that does fire restoration and they used a product that was like a smoke bomb. We opened the car a day later and the smell was completely gone. So my suggestion is, call a fire restoration company.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

wash draperies, shampoo rugs, & place fans to circulate the air. it may take a day or 2,...or 3
Old 02-26-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Very quite.

There are different settings from: Zap the area (which is leave for 90 minutes, plants are fine) to lower settings that can run around the clock and you can stay in the house.

Research more.
Actually I read a number of articles and info on the manufacturer's websites and they all say to leave when it is running. The last paragraph below I found most interesting. Copied from this article: Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) | US EPA

Conclusions

Whether in its pure form or mixed with other chemicals, ozone can be harmful to health.
When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts of ozone can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and, throat irritation. It may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma as well as compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.
Some studies show that ozone concentrations produced by ozone generators can exceed health standards even when one follows manufacturer’s instructions.
Many factors affect ozone concentrations including the amount of ozone produced by the machine(s), the size of the indoor space, the amount of material in the room with which ozone reacts, the outdoor ozone concentration, and the amount of ventilation. These factors make it difficult to control the ozone concentration in all circumstances.
Available scientific evidence shows that, at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is generally ineffective in controlling indoor air pollution.
The concentration of ozone would have to greatly exceed health standards to be effective in removing most indoor air contaminants. In the process of reacting with chemicals indoors, ozone can produce other chemicals that themselves can be irritating and corrosive.

Basically it states if the amount of ozone produced is NOT HARMFUL then it is not useful. So basically very low settings don't do any good.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:10 PM

Rent an ozone generator.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 PM

Whenever we stir fry onions or any other strong scent I then boil a saucepan of vinegar. After it boils & creates steam , I carry it from room to room. The actual vinegar smell quickly disappears in a few minutes. I have also read online that you can add an essential oil like lemon to the vinegar. If I forget to do that after cooking strong oders I wake up and can’t go back to sleep. So...I have been known to get up at 2 a.m. and boil vinegar. You can use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.

Tags
villa, work, companies, specialize, nose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.