Getting lots of "free stuff" from Amazon all from 3rd party sellers

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Getting lots of "free stuff" from Amazon all from 3rd party sellers

It's like Hanukah, Christmas, Boxing day & Kwanzaa in July! In the last 3 weeks I have got 3 unordered "free stuff" all from Amazon 3rd party Chinese sellers. The one I got today was the best it was a horribly crappy Apple Airpods Pro clone from a company called Hyeing. Last week I got one of those 8" "rain" square shower heads and the week before that I got a grill cover. The grill cover smelled like someone died inside it when I opened it up but now that it aired out for a week on the patio it's great for a sun reflector (all shiny foil like lining). The shower head worked OK but I would have needed an extender tube because it was too big. No idea where this stuff is coming from. Definitely not being billed to my account and all legitimately sent from Amazon.

Very strange. I gave away the shower head and still have the grill cover and the crappy Airpods Pro clone if anyone wants them! They all seems to be selling in the $15 to $25 range when I look them up. There is nothing requesting a review so I just don't understand where these come from or what the purpose is.

Anyone else getting freebies from Amazon 3rd party sellers on a "regular" basis?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-07-23 17.44.53.jpg
Views:	8652
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	90215  
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:08 PM
Sage

From Amazon website, https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...3XVXQPUV79Z2ZC

Report Unsolicited Package or Brushing Scams

Third-party sellers are prohibited from sending unsolicited packages to customers. If you receive a package that you did not order and is not a gift, please report it immediately.

When a customer receives a package they didn't order, it may be a result of a scam sometimes called "brushing." "Brushing" scams occur when bad actors send packages to publically available names and addresses.

If you receive a package that you didn't order, check with friends and family or contact Customer Service to confirm it's not a gift to you.

You can report the package to Customer Service, and they may ask you for a photo of the shipping label on the package. Amazon investigates reports of "brushing" and will take action on bad actors that violate our policies, including suspending or removing selling privileges, withholding payments, and working with law enforcement.

You don't need to return the item. Feel free to dispose of or donate the item, whichever is most convenient.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:14 PM
Sage

Interesting, thanks! Maybe next time it will be something I can actually use. As for brushing Not sure how they could write a review in my name without using my account which would be impossible since I use 2-step verification.

EDIT: Well, the link is informative but they don't give an actual link to report it. They don't make it easy to contact "customer service" without going through their "artificial intelligence chat bots" which keeps taking me back to your link on Amazon or I can sit and wait to chat with someone who barely understands English. LOL. Let 'em send stuff to me. Maybe I'll get lucky once and get something worthwhile.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-23-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Interesting, thanks! Maybe next time it will be something I can actually use. As for brushing Not sure how they could write a review in my name without using my account which would be impossible since I use 2-step verification.

EDIT: Well, the link is informative but they don't give an actual link to report it. They don't make it easy to contact "customer service" without going through their "artificial intelligence chat bots" which keeps taking me back to your link on Amazon or I can sit and wait to chat with someone who barely understands English. LOL. Let 'em send stuff to me. Maybe I'll get lucky once and get something worthwhile.
How to Contact Amazon Customer Service: Phone, Email, Chat

Your tax dollars funded my Google University diploma.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,601 Times in 940 Posts

Brushing isn’t as terrible as it seems. It does result in products getting false high ratings

“ The intention is to give the impression that the recipient is a verified buyer who has written positive online reviews of the merchandise, meaning: they write a fake review in your name. These fake reviews help to fraudulently boost or inflate the products’ ratings and sales numbers, which they hope results in an increase of actual sales in the long-run. Since the merchandise is usually cheap and low-cost to ship, the scammers perceive this as a profitable pay-off.”
Old 07-23-2021, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
How to Contact Amazon Customer Service: Phone, Email, Chat

Your tax dollars funded my Google University diploma.
Thanks, but been there, done that for years. My first Amazon purchase was a book in 1999. Now (Covid era) They will only call you if you go first through the chat bot and type REP 50 times. The direct number is like calling the IRS for a professional help during tax season but didn't even want to deal with that because you get the same "English is our 3rd language" reps from India who you chat with. I did eventually take the chat route. After a total of 67 minutes chatting (not sure why I even bothered as there was no loss to me) on chat I had a rep tell me "we are sorry for the inconvenience and we promise you that you won't get any more free stuff." Really wasn't worth the bother because it affected me in no way and only got me free stuff.

Ajay
6:42 PM
If you want a photo of the label I can do that
6:43 PM
Ajay | Customer Service
Thanks for waiting.
No need to send the picture.
I have escalated the issue to team, assuring you that problem will not repeat again.
Also you will receive update from team with in next 48 hours.
A
6:44 PM
No they won't but that's OK. The last time I was told that nothing was heard.
Ajay | Customer Service
Thanks for understanding.
Please be assured there will be no unwanted packages anymore.
Issue forwarded on high priority now.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-23-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

At this point I generally don't bother calling Amazon or anyone else when this happens. I once got $20 bills from an ATM instead of $10 bills resulting in getting more money than I asked for. I was nice and cold up the bank and tell them what it took me an hour I never got a thank you or a letter from them. So I just don't bother anymore if they don't have any common sense why should I really bother and spend an hour of my time.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
It's like Hanukah, Christmas, Boxing day & Kwanzaa in July! In the last 3 weeks I have got 3 unordered "free stuff" all from Amazon 3rd party Chinese sellers. The one I got today was the best it was a horribly crappy Apple Airpods Pro clone from a company called Hyeing. Last week I got one of those 8" "rain" square shower heads and the week before that I got a grill cover. The grill cover smelled like someone died inside it when I opened it up but now that it aired out for a week on the patio it's great for a sun reflector (all shiny foil like lining). The shower head worked OK but I would have needed an extender tube because it was too big. No idea where this stuff is coming from. Definitely not being billed to my account and all legitimately sent from Amazon.

Very strange. I gave away the shower head and still have the grill cover and the crappy Airpods Pro clone if anyone wants them! They all seems to be selling in the $15 to $25 range when I look them up. There is nothing requesting a review so I just don't understand where these come from or what the purpose is.

Anyone else getting freebies from Amazon 3rd party sellers on a "regular" basis?
I was too for quite awhile. I realized these people were thinking that they were returning items to Amazon for a refund but the third party seller was using my name and address with an apt #. When I noticed the apt #, I began refusing them from USPS and UPS. The UPS driver would look at the package and realize it had an apt # and would not even drop it off…just wrote refused. I contacted Amazon and eventually it stopped. The items ranged from bandanas to pool filters…the third party sellers were all scammers.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:20 AM

I don’t keep. Just report. Stuff is usually not needed or not our style. Maybe it has a mic or chip in it.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Did you ever think that maybe the **** is contaminated with covid or worse?
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 AM

I once got an unordered bicycle helmet. When I called Amazon customer service they insisted that I had ordered the helmet and paid with MasterCard. When I told the agent that I did not have a MasterCard account he was somewhat helpful in suggesting steps to take to get the issue resolved. My next unordered item was some Chinese beauty products and the last unordered item was rubber popsicle making tubes.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Hope you checked your account...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
At this point I generally don't bother calling Amazon or anyone else when this happens. I once got $20 bills from an ATM instead of $10 bills resulting in getting more money than I asked for. I was nice and cold up the bank and tell them what it took me an hour I never got a thank you or a letter from them. So I just don't bother anymore if they don't have any common sense why should I really bother and spend an hour of my time.
to make sure they didn't deduct those $20's.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, but been there, done that for years. My first Amazon purchase was a book in 1999. Now (Covid era) They will only call you if you go first through the chat bot and type REP 50 times. The direct number is like calling the IRS for a professional help during tax season but didn't even want to deal with that because you get the same "English is our 3rd language" reps from India who you chat with. I did eventually take the chat route. After a total of 67 minutes chatting (not sure why I even bothered as there was no loss to me) on chat I had a rep tell me "we are sorry for the inconvenience and we promise you that you won't get any more free stuff." Really wasn't worth the bother because it affected me in no way and only got me free stuff.

Ajay
6:42 PM
If you want a photo of the label I can do that
6:43 PM
Ajay | Customer Service
Thanks for waiting.
No need to send the picture.
I have escalated the issue to team, assuring you that problem will not repeat again.
Also you will receive update from team with in next 48 hours.
A
No they won't but that's OK. The last time I was told that nothing was heard.
Ajay | Customer Service
Thanks for understanding.
Please be assured there will be no unwanted packages anymore.
Issue forwarded on high priority now.

The brave new world. Computer wrestling. If, today is tues, and it is a high tide and you are a male between 60-70 push button 3.7. After 40 or so different options, by now you do not recall the first 30 or so, you can push option 65 and go through all 40 options again. A slight exaggeration but sadly only slight. I had four different ones going at the same time. Took months of this. I got the last one done this week. Every one in my favor. Everyone was clear and documented. Only took registered letters, at my expense
to find a HUMAN. If, we do not stand up for HUMANS they will all be replaced by computers. Be sure when you find a HUMAN and they get your issue resolved you take the time to write a letter in thanks. We all complain too much and too rarely say thanks for a job well done. Simple explanation why we wrestle with computers. We accept it.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

unsolicited stuff from Amazon seems to be on the rise

a guy down at the square was telling me that he just got a mail order bride from Amazon that he didn't order,
Old 07-24-2021, 09:31 AM

“Brushing” Scam Indicates a Serious Problem for Victims - BBB

UNITED STATES POSTAL INSPECTION SERVICE

Brushing Scam
National

What could be better than opening the mailbox or the front door and finding an unexpected package? We all love surprises and gifts, but when these seemingly harmless free items come from a company or retailer, they may come with a higher cost than you realize. Oftentimes, this kind of unsolicited merchandise is part of a larger brushing scam, which is illegal in the U.S. and many other countries.

This is how it works.
A person receives packages or parcels containing various sorts of items which were not ordered or requested by the recipient. While the package may be addressed to the recipient, there is not a return address, or the return address could be that of a retailer. The sender of the item(s) is usually an international, third-party seller who has found the recipient’s address online. The intention is to give the impression that the recipient is a verified buyer who has written positive online reviews of the merchandise, meaning: they write a fake review in your name. These fake reviews help to fraudulently boost or inflate the products’ ratings and sales numbers, which they hope results in an increase of actual sales in the long-run. Since the merchandise is usually cheap and low-cost to ship, the scammers perceive this as a profitable pay-off.

This is why it’s bad.
While it may appear to be a victimless crime—you did after all get some free stuff—the reality is that your personal information may be compromised. Often scammers obtain personal information through nefarious means and with ill-intentions, and use it for a number of scams and other illicit activities in the future.

Your fake review may prompt people to purchase worthless stuff.

In other instances, bad actors are using a person’s address and account information to receive merchandise then steal it from the home before the resident is able to intercept it.

This is what to do.
Follow the tips below to keep your personal information safe and be aware of what to do in the event you receive unsolicited merchandise.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, grill, cover, shower, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.