On getting my first Covid19 shot

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2021, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Winston Churchill said something similar to the sentiments in this thread. Paraphrasing - Americans always do the RIGHT thing........after ALL other options are exhausted. This thread-starting author has some good writing and wordsmithing skills. But.....it seems to me to be colored by rose-colored glasses due to the euphoria of receiving a life-continuing CV shot, which increases the possibility of returning to a "normal life".

I can find some other , small, criticisms of the thread starter - mentioned was "warming earth" - it is unfortunate that, as shown by the disaster in Texas, that we (the 1st world countries that caused it) are past the point of controlling Global Warming (aka global weirding)! The part about. "all Americans working in concert" - this did NOT really happen. Just ask Bob Woodward. The proof is that the Australians and Europeans did MUCH better than us wonderful-"all Americans". The proof is that we are #1 in CV deaths. The part about "patriots are NOT doubters and deniers - Well, doubters and deniers still will consider themselves "patriots" because they have been well propagandized. It will take UNLEARNING of that propaganda before America can return to its universal Patriotism that existed after WW2. That may or may NOT happen in the future? And that part about "America fighting and winning the CV war" - well, that war is NOT yet over - you MAY (?) have won a battle for yourself temporarily - but, the CV enemy has yet to sign the peace treaty to end that war!..... On a lighter note ....Zendog is a GREAT forum handle! Keep writing!
Another glass half empty.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:33 PM

I used to worry that we as a nation were too fractured to meet the challenges of a warming earth, deforestation, foreign enemies. I now feel confident that, with leadership that brings us together, rather than fracturing us along lines of race, religion, and ethnology, we can do anything that must be done.

This is the final paragraph from the OP. Up until that paragraph I (like most) was saying ‘Here ye here ye! But that last paragraph leaves me reeling! I’m sorry! Most of us are advanced seniors. With ‘one chapter’ left in our lives we should be above these petty political struggles ... but new ‘leadership’ has not led 75 million to the trough! We ought to get to our knees more often in asking GOD’s help ... and pray for each other!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
When my wife and I left The Villages for Leesburg, I had a vague feeling of both dread and hope. We were both near 80 with “pre-existing conditions.” If Covid 19 got us, the odds are that one or both of us would die. In my car, I sensed relative security was only 20 minutes away.

The mall we went to is a seedy place. The Sears store where the shots were to be given would have been bustling 20 years ago. Now, with faded paint and pealing signs, the image was of an America in decline. The older adults, like us, making their way to the store, were gray and bald. Some walking. Some in wheelchairs or walkers.

Inside, the store bustled once again. Young men and women, firefighters, off-duty police, and nurses moved us from station, taking information, giving us our shots, and watching for reactions. These people were cheerful, and they exuded pride in their role in saving lives.

As we moved along, my gratitude for all the people that made this moment possible grew. The public health people at the CDC, the bureaucrats who hustled the science through, the scientists who broke records producing the vaccine in record time, and these people, going beyond to vaccinate so many strangers.

On the way home, my gratitude continued to grow. It extended to the businesses who enforce covid rules and to you. People who ignored the doubters. People who stayed inside and wore masks. You were protecting yourself. But you also recognized a responsibility to others.

All of us Americans working in concert saved my life. Thank you.

I have often wondered how during WWII, all Americans worked together to defeat a formidable enemy. I wondered if we still had that American spirit. I should have known. That spirit was working under my feet. I just failed to see it.

America is at war, and millions of Americans working as one are fighting and winning. This may sound patriotic. Maybe it is. A patriot is not a person who waves a flag. A patriot is a person who works together with his fellow man, acting as a single force for the good of all Americans. Patriots ignore the deniers and doubters.

I used to worry that we as a nation were too fractured to meet the challenges of a warming earth, deforestation, foreign enemies. I now feel confident that, with leadership that brings us together, rather than fracturing us along lines of race, religion, and ethnology, we can do anything that must be done.
Beautiful sentiment. It’s unfortunate though that America doesn’t have the leadership “that brings us together.”
Old 02-24-2021, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Just received my wife's and my invitation to schedule our first shots in Lake Co. We already have our first dose and will be getting our second in a few days. Anyone that says they can't get scheduled is not trying very hard. I went about contacting all kinds of places and have already received several chances to schedule for both of us. Yes, it takes a computer OR a phone.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:53 PM
Sage
Default Thank you

To all those who have gotten their COVID-19 vaccines, thank you for being part of the solution to getting this country back to something approaching normalcy. My 90 year old father, who lives in eastern Iowa, got his first dose last week. His second dose is scheduled for March 10. I will breathe a big sigh of relief after March 10. I am under 65, so it may be another 4 months or so until I am eligible to be vaccinated. That day can't come soon enough.

Thank you to all the scientists who worked on the vaccines (and who will continue to work on refining the vaccines in the future), to the production teams at Pfizer and Moderna producing the vaccines, to the Fed Ex, UPS and logistics teams working on shipping the vaccine and to the teams administering the vaccines into people's arms. My hat is off to all of you.

Tags
people, americans, store, working, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.