Getting new St. Augustine sod

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2021, 07:11 AM
Default Getting new St. Augustine sod

I want to get some new Floratam sod, but wonder if it is too late for this year, with the cool weather coming. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks to all that reply?
Old 10-22-2021, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcallaway View Post
I want to get some new Floratam sod, but wonder if it is too late for this year, with the cool weather coming. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks to all that reply?
It’s still warm enough to get it to take. Lowe’s has both plugs and rectangle pieces of sod. Don’t buy the plugs, they are way overpriced. If you want plugs, just buy the pieces of sod and break it into smaller pieces. Water it well the first couple of weeks and you should be good to go.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
My two cents worth for free. First thing is to, if it is replacing grass that has died is to correct why it died. There is a best time to do most things. Unless you have some reason like preparing a home for sale, I would look it up and do it at the best time.

This is the end of October, our southern grasses are shutting down for the cooler weather. Pushing growth with fertilizer now is a mistake. I would have a soil test done.
Prepare the soil likely add organic matter. You likely have a high PH 7-8. Sulfur commonly used takes 6 months to year to work. Plugs vs sod Frankly if you have parts of your lawn that are good, you can use a long handled bulb planter and cut and plant your own plugs. What you plant will be the same as the rest of your lawn.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Just an opinion and doesn’t really address your question but instead of Floratam, I would suggest ProVista. It can withstand non-selective weed killer that Floratam can’t.
Closed Thread

Tags
sod, coming, year, cool, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.