Glass enclosed lanai analysis

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Wow, this is great information, I am also a DIYer. I just finished a window seat and cabinets that match the kitchen cabinets. When the cabinet supplier stopped by to drop off the knobs, he offered me a job on the spot, I thanked him but said no. I really appreciate all of the points mentioned in this post. Currently, we do not have the "kissing lanai" concern as we have a road at the back of our house. We may in the future consider glass to cut down on the dust, but that will be after the birdcage.....
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Location: We live in The Village of Pinellas, on Yearling Way.
Default Enclosing lanai

Custom Windows enclosed my large lanai. They did a wonderful job, right on time, and at the price they quoted. We had another company install the Mitsubishi air/heat/humidifiers. This is now our favorite room in the house! Wish we had done it sooner.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hickerson View Post
Custom Windows enclosed my large lanai. They did a wonderful job, right on time, and at the price they quoted. We had another company install the Mitsubishi air/heat/humidifiers. This is now our favorite room in the house! .
when you added the Mitsubishi unit did you get a new building permit and and make all other changes required?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Sage

Met with my architect, he came up with a few ideas, since I'll be fabricating all the windows and doors Fl requires an engineered drawing of the components.

Not a big deal just needs to be done by code.

I was originally going to use cypress for the window frames but learned western red cedar will work much better.

I sourced out the wood, I also sourced out the correct Low-E glass 366 and some windows in 340.

Found a insulation contractor (one DIY I will not do), he can blow in R-30 in the ceiling for $200, that's a good price.

The vinyl siding that will be now in the enclosed area will be replaced with the red cedar.

Although it's called red its not, it's a light brown/tan color.

The Villages Florida

The TV cable and elec outlet will be moved up high for a wall or ceiling mounted TV.

When I built my home theatre I already installed several ceiling speakers, so that's done.

The plans will take about two weeks.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 AM

T and D expanded and enclosed our lanai. Fabulous job. I admire anyone who has the talent for diy... Those of us who don't choose quality companies to get the job done. We have a mini split for those days when heat or ac makes sense. Otherwise the sliders are open with beautiful cross breezes. Favorite room in the house and the view is spectacular.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Sage

quick update - waiting on building plans, since I'm doing custom fabrication it's taking a bit longer for the final approval
Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

Ref to heating and cooling enclosures. Like many, I was under the assumption this added to the taxable value of the home when you did this. At least in Sumter County, I asked the clerk about this at the tax office. She said it os only taxable IF YOU REMOVE your sliders from the living room. otherwise it won't affect tax rate.

Let me know if anyone else has contrary information in Sumter County.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Well since we’ve been here we had no interest in enclosing the Lanai, but recently changed our mind.

Been reading several threads here and thought I would post my opinion and finding of my research in this type of renovation.

Those that know my posts know I’m a big advocate of solar and a handy DIY “do it your self’r”.

Two weeks ago CVS came over showed the rep what I wanted, knew little about construction techniques, they said too complicated the way I wanted it done???? I guessed I asked too many questions. Like what kind of glass do you offer, what the specs.

He had a total miss understanding of the building code which I learned after speaking with the inspector in person at the building department later on.
For instance if you want to remove the slider you have to raise the floor, not true in most cases. I needed permits’ and inspections costing $1500-2,000, building dept said $107.

Next Custom windows, they had an interesting way of quoting, details didn’t matter they took rough measurements threw out a number of $22,000….ouch, asked how they figured that didn’t get a straight answer, so I said that figure means you’re charging $75 a sq ft for the windows (they did know a little about glass I’ll give them that) but they said if I didn’t want aluminum that’s what wood frames cost. So what does aluminum cost ?$10,000, notice the big round dollar quotes here.

One thing I’ll explain there are two rules in closing in the Lanai 1 don’t use aluminum, 2 read rule one!

Aluminum acts as heat sink by that I mean in the cold weather it transmits the cold temp indoors, just put your hand on it, it’s like hanging ice cubes in the room you’re try keep warm. In the warmer season esp summer it gets very hot almost can’t touch it. So it heats the space.

If you have heat and A/C you compensate by using more energy, if it’s not conditioned space you don’t use it.

To avoid this you should use wood or wood encased in pvc or vinyl, you can feel the difference in surface temps big time.

Next is the glass tempered has nothing to with your comfort, it’s only for safety and required by code if the glass panel in greater than 9 sq ft, none of the contractors knew that size requirement, they said that only if the glass in near the floor, incorrect. The types of glass I believe (and several engineers at 3 glass manufactures I spoke with) is the best in this zone are two low-e versions, not just Low-e, there are about a dozen types some don’t help here, the primary one on the market in the US is Low-e 366, it will keep heat in during the cold temps and heat out when it’s hot.

If you’re not sure what you have look at the glass it stamped in one of the corners. The other version that came on the market since 366 now is 340. The 340 will work better blocking heat out on south and especially west facing windows, east is fine with 366, south is a tossup either will do great.
I plan on using 366 east & south 340 on the west to block that afternoon sun when it gets hot.
If your lanai faces north or east 366 will be good, if the long side faces west it needs 340.

So those types of glass with wood frames will give you the most comfort. In fact if you face south or near to it you will heat the lanai slab heating the concrete and with sliders open add heat into your home.

Also spoke to Elite, knows about glass but….was hard to get specifics, didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling never gave a quote.
Terry siding aluminum they only do aluminum, you know my opinion there if you don’t care about what I said he does good work around here on vinyl siding etc.

I made a decision after wasting my time with contractors here to again take on a project myself.

Costs about $400 for an architect to draw up plans tomorrow & $100 for the permit, the solar glass mentioned above costs about $2200, I’ll make the wood frames about $500 in wood plus my time, my target is less then $4000 with other items insulation etc. Our lanai is about 1000' but only closing in the part which is 22' X 14 x 12 90" high for the glass.
Two french doors one at each end, so we still have plenty of screened lanai left.

I realize a business has overhead but over $22,000 for the similar thing….

Last point I visited several neighbors that had enclosed theirs, it was late in the afternoon their rooms was very warm facing S SW too warm to be comfortable, they all had shades on all windows and one was open they had double glass but it had no solar coatings.

Great post! We desided to go with just zipper shades for sun and weather control. They were over priced but get the ob done nicely!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Sage

We had our lanai enclosed to be a year round room. We've been more than happy with the results. We were told that building material (ie windows) has to be different in FL than in other parts of the country due to the heat/humidity. My other half once built homes for a living and used high quality materials and thought we could do the same here. We were told by our contractor many want to use Pella, Anderson etc but they won't be happy in the long run. Our windows are metal sliders and they've worked well so far.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcsooner View Post
Ref to heating and cooling enclosures. Like many, I was under the assumption this added to the taxable value of the home when you did this. At least in Sumter County, I asked the clerk about this at the tax office. She said it os only taxable IF YOU REMOVE your sliders from the living room. otherwise it won't affect tax rate.

We were told the same thing so we went ahead and enclosed the lanai (raised the floor but did not remove sliders). It added 500 sq ft to our home -- all under heat and air so it counts as home square footage for resale. T&D did the work and it is fabulous!!! Could not have spent our money any more wisely. We get to enjoy the space, with views, year-round and we added value to our home. A win-win situation!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Well since we’ve been here we had no interest in enclosing the Lanai, but recently changed our mind.

Been reading several threads here and thought I would post my opinion and finding of my research in this type of renovation.

Those that know my posts know I’m a big advocate of solar and a handy DIY “do it your self’r”.

Two weeks ago CVS came over showed the rep what I wanted, knew little about construction techniques, they said too complicated the way I wanted it done???? I guessed I asked too many questions. Like what kind of glass do you offer, what the specs.

He had a total miss understanding of the building code which I learned after speaking with the inspector in person at the building department later on.
For instance if you want to remove the slider you have to raise the floor, not true in most cases. I needed permits’ and inspections costing $1500-2,000, building dept said $107.

Next Custom windows, they had an interesting way of quoting, details didn’t matter they took rough measurements threw out a number of $22,000….ouch, asked how they figured that didn’t get a straight answer, so I said that figure means you’re charging $75 a sq ft for the windows (they did know a little about glass I’ll give them that) but they said if I didn’t want aluminum that’s what wood frames cost. So what does aluminum cost ?$10,000, notice the big round dollar quotes here.

One thing I’ll explain there are two rules in closing in the Lanai 1 don’t use aluminum, 2 read rule one!

Aluminum acts as heat sink by that I mean in the cold weather it transmits the cold temp indoors, just put your hand on it, it’s like hanging ice cubes in the room you’re try keep warm. In the warmer season esp summer it gets very hot almost can’t touch it. So it heats the space.

If you have heat and A/C you compensate by using more energy, if it’s not conditioned space you don’t use it.

To avoid this you should use wood or wood encased in pvc or vinyl, you can feel the difference in surface temps big time.

Next is the glass tempered has nothing to with your comfort, it’s only for safety and required by code if the glass panel in greater than 9 sq ft, none of the contractors knew that size requirement, they said that only if the glass in near the floor, incorrect. The types of glass I believe (and several engineers at 3 glass manufactures I spoke with) is the best in this zone are two low-e versions, not just Low-e, there are about a dozen types some don’t help here, the primary one on the market in the US is Low-e 366, it will keep heat in during the cold temps and heat out when it’s hot.

If you’re not sure what you have look at the glass it stamped in one of the corners. The other version that came on the market since 366 now is 340. The 340 will work better blocking heat out on south and especially west facing windows, east is fine with 366, south is a tossup either will do great.
I plan on using 366 east & south 340 on the west to block that afternoon sun when it gets hot.
If your lanai faces north or east 366 will be good, if the long side faces west it needs 340.

So those types of glass with wood frames will give you the most comfort. In fact if you face south or near to it you will heat the lanai slab heating the concrete and with sliders open add heat into your home.

Also spoke to Elite, knows about glass but….was hard to get specifics, didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling never gave a quote.
Terry siding aluminum they only do aluminum, you know my opinion there if you don’t care about what I said he does good work around here on vinyl siding etc.

I made a decision after wasting my time with contractors here to again take on a project myself.

Costs about $400 for an architect to draw up plans tomorrow & $100 for the permit, the solar glass mentioned above costs about $2200, I’ll make the wood frames about $500 in wood plus my time, my target is less then $4000 with other items insulation etc. Our lanai is about 1000' but only closing in the part which is 22' X 14 x 12 90" high for the glass.
Two french doors one at each end, so we still have plenty of screened lanai left.

I realize a business has overhead but over $22,000 for the similar thing….

Last point I visited several neighbors that had enclosed theirs, it was late in the afternoon their rooms was very warm facing S SW too warm to be comfortable, they all had shades on all windows and one was open they had double glass but it had no solar coatings.

Thanks so much for taking the time to educate us on the proper way to do it.I plan to do it some day. Not surprisesd by high quote, always get 3, contractors think all retirees have bags of money to spend,so they want as much of it they can get. Gotta be smart ,not a sucker. They laugh all the way to the bank. My neighbor found out the hard way after paying 3 times what he should of for concrete work.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We were told that building material (ie windows) has to be different in FL than in other parts of the country due to the heat/humidity.
Not really the reason. all windows made by all the big & small name manufacturers must have a Fl product code approved by the state.
It is for hurricane resistance ie; wind not heat/humidly.

Quote:
Our windows are metal sliders and they've worked well so far.
metal loses heat in the winter gains heat in the summer, you may think they work well but if built out of wood or fiberglass they would work significantly better. that's a fact.

The contractors around here use alum because of speed and high profit, not because their better.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcsooner View Post

I'm reasonably sure once you add heat-a/c, that space is considered habitable space. Taxes go up

There are several levels of improvement to a lanai, the building dept has a hand out sheet
Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We had our lanai enclosed to be a year round room. We've been more than happy with the results. We were told that building material (ie windows) has to be different in FL than in other parts of the country due to the heat/humidity. My other half once built homes for a living and used high quality materials and thought we could do the same here. We were told by our contractor many want to use Pella, Anderson etc but they won't be happy in the long run. Our windows are metal sliders and they've worked well so far.
Did your contractor tell you why pella or Anderson windows would not make people happy in the long run?

Last edited by tommy steam; 03-24-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I had a contractor in today to do an estimate.
On the subject of tax or not. He said if it is air conditioned/heated it is considered living space and taxable.
Enclosing with no HVAC is not taxable.
If you are going to air condition/heat, the floor of the lanai must be raised to the same level as the main house (called capping).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.