Glass enclosed lanai analysis

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If you are going to air condition/heat, the floor of the lanai must be raised to the same level as the main house (called capping).
That contractor is totally wrong, he is clueless as to the building code.

If he doesn't know the code he likely doesn't know how to build.

Run from that guy.

One of the ones I talked to said the same thing, I checked he was wrong also.

They are trying to up the quote with a lie

the floor issue has to do with termites believe it or not, as long as the edge of the lanai slab is visible and 99% are, no need to raise the floor.
In the rare case where it is below grade you just regrade to expose the slab.
this is done for termite inspection. That info is from the the head of planning

Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I had a contractor in today to do an estimate.
On the subject of tax or not. He said if it is air conditioned/heated it is considered living space and taxable.
Enclosing with no HVAC is not taxable.
If you are going to air condition/heat, the floor of the lanai must be raised to the same level as the main house (called capping).
how is having that room a step down any different than a sunken living room?

I agree it is the heat and air that makes it livable space not the level of the floor; however, I don't understand why so many people get hung up on this when the additional tax would be minimal compared to the enjoyment that you would receive.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 AM
Sage

Well another project needed to get done so a short delay.

All permits in place, wood is ordered for window frames, atrium doors being built, roof extension done, fire place done.

should be done soon
Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 AM
Sage
Lightbulb window frames & types

Most of the window companies offer Aluminum framed windows.

they are truly a bad choice

Aluminum frames cannot insulate as well as vinyl, wood, or fiberglass frames.
its very conductive material.

Aluminum conducts heat better than any other building material. And that’s very bad for the performance of the window, even if the frame profile is simple and compact.

aluminum frames can easily become cold in winter and hot in summer creating a thermal bridge

vinyl, fiberglass or wood frames are far better choices

So why don't the contractors offer that option, it takes more skilled workmanship to install them and vinyl, fiberglass or wood costs 10-15% more so to keep their price quote lower they offer aluminum.

Also aluminum is quick to install the frame is simple square cuts low skill requirements to install.

They also push sliders as a good option, it will allow you to open up the lanai when it's hot. But that at most is 50% open. What about air leakage when its cool or cold, sliders are one of the worst.

Also think about how many vertical window frame bars block your view when open or closed ... not so nice.

The Villages Florida

A much better choice is a fixed window (picture ) with an awning window above or below or both

these seal very well and are available at HD or Lowes, in energy efficient frames with Low e 366 glass. about $300.

The Villages Florida

that will give you all the ventilation and not block your view as much as sliders for sure.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Had a conversation with the tax appraiser guy for Sumter County. We had our Lanai enclosed and the floor raised and tiled. We did not have heat or AC installed but asked the question regarding tax increases if I did. The space is considered living space IF you remove the sliders or french doors between the house and the Lanai, then it becomes part of the house. He made it clear that windows don't matter, heat or AC doesn't matter, flooring doesn't matter, just don't make it part of the house. He did say that he enjoys all the comments we put on TOTV, especially those the contradict each other. If I have a question I now go to the people that can answer them, and they work from the County Services building at Powell and 466A. Golf cart accessible....of course

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM

WE ENCLOSED OUR LANAI WITH SLIDERS 3M FILM AND A MITSHUBISHI ac. POLLEN ANBD RAIN--WE WERE CONSTANLTY POWERWQSHING AND CLEANING OUR LANAI.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Two weeks ago CVS came over showed the rep what I wanted, knew little about construction techniques, they said too complicated the way I wanted it done???? I guessed I asked too many questions. Like what kind of glass do you offer, what the specs.

He had a total miss understanding of the building code which I learned after speaking with the inspector in person at the building department later on.
For instance if you want to remove the slider you have to raise the floor, not true in most cases. I needed permits’ and inspections costing $1500-2,000, building dept said $107.
Today I just saw this thread for the first time. One of the owners of CVS lives in my villas, he's done probably at least 20 of the 88 units here. I use to see their yard sign on a different home every month for a couple of years. I've never met the guy, never even seen him.

My golfing partner had his lanai enclosed by them. CYV's lanai's are not big, his is the same as mine 14' X 8'. He had an estimate from CVS for $6,000 and after six weeks they started work and it was finished by two weeks later and he was happy they came in under the estimate at $5,700.

I looked at it when finished, and it's basically three bronze aluminum sliding doors. Glass from floor to ceiling made of of three panels that slide open. He said they took six weeks to start because the doors are special ordered to size and then they have to wait for a crew, they only have 2 or 3 crews.

I said it looks like three 6' sliding doors could of done the job. Two side by side on the 14' side and one on the 8' side. Probably could of used some aluminum panels to fill in the gaps on the ends. I said 6' sliding doors only cost about $350 to $500 each. He said he wanted a professional looking job and was happy with the way it turned out.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Sage

Considering he buys the sliders less than the $350-500 you were quoted that's not a bad biz to be in.

what do you think his margin of profit was after all expenses and overhead?

My guess 50%

But folks pay it, so they keep charging........
Old 04-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Considering he buys the sliders less than the $350-500 you were quoted that's not a bad biz to be in.

what do you think his margin of profit was after all expenses and overhead?

My guess 50%

But folks pay it, so they keep charging........
Most companies installing the lanai doors and windows do a good job, that is why people are pleased with their work and they stay busy doing more glass enclosures. I was very pleased with T&D and the job they did for me, I had heavy duty vinyl doors installed. I would never try to install wooden doors or windows myself. I don't have the skill nor do I think wood is a good idea, besides what is wrong with hard working people making a profit? It is the American way.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Thank you. The information you provided is very helpful.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Veteran member

Making a profit is one thing, gouging is another. For what is being done the quoted price is just that,gouging.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
Making a profit is one thing, gouging is another. For what is being done the quoted price is just that,gouging.
Price gouging can be defined as pricing above the usual market price when no alternative retailer is available.

This is not the case for porch enclosures. There are many contractors in business around the Villages where you can solicit bids. If all the bids come in about the same you are seeing market price not price gouging. Custom windows made with high quality double paned glass properly installed are not cheap. Putting up a bunch of 6 foot sliders from Home Depot or Lowes with aluminum filler panels to fill in the gaps will look pretty cheap and not be very well insulated. Just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Price gouging can be defined as pricing above the usual market price when no alternative retailer is available.

This is not the case for porch enclosures. There are many contractors in business around the Villages where you can solicit bids.
Not really the case as a contractor lets say U know the cost of a job is $5000 and you would be satisfied with a margin of profit of 30%, so U quote the job at $6500, but you find all the other contractors are charging and getting orders at $10,000 for the same work laughing all the way to bank.

So getting competitive bids within TV is difficult.
It's almost like price fixing

Quote:
Custom windows made with high quality double paned glass properly installed are not cheap.
What do you consider high quality glass?

What type is it?

Quote:
Putting up a bunch of 6 foot sliders from Home Depot or Lowes with aluminum filler panels to fill in the gaps will look pretty cheap and not be very well insulated.
Hate to tell you this look in the parking lot at HD & Lowes U will see these contractors picking up those windows not per se off the shelf but custom ordered thru HD & Lowes.

As far as enclosed lanais looking cheap or not insulated correctly that is exactly the case in all the sub par installs I see here.

contractors (that I've talked to) do lack of knowledge about glass and insulating factors of the framing & overall design and building codes.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

Then I guess the real problem is uninformed consumers with way too much money to give away.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM

Jimbo,
nice write up. I too, would like to enclose my 2nd lanai / house in TV. Several questions. What county are you in? I'm told that many codes changed in Marion and Sumter last December. I want to add a mini split to take the humidity out, and that seems to trigger, electrical, new floor, .. changes that really drive up the cost. Are you not wanting to do that in the future? The floor and electrical outlet spacing is a deal killer for me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.