Glass enclosed lanai analysis

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalazzola View Post
Jimbo,
nice write up. I too, would like to enclose my 2nd lanai / house in TV. Several questions. What county are you in? I'm told that many codes changed in Marion and Sumter last December. I want to add a mini split to take the humidity out, and that seems to trigger, electrical, new floor, .. changes that really drive up the cost. Are you not wanting to do that in the future? The floor and electrical outlet spacing is a deal killer for me.
I'm in Sumter, before you get a mini split, and all the added costs, just enclose the area, get your final inspection.

Then open up your sliders or remove them (store in garage) let the A/C that you have try the extra space to see if it can handle it, almost all can.

Then extend the A/C duct from living room etc into the lanai.

THat's what most folks do.

Just so you know a new floor or elec is not required even if you got all permits to condition the space, most contractors don't know this and make folks spend $$ for no reason.

I need to take pics of mine and post them, the Western Red cedar frames came out mint, I used a marine Spar varnish 6 coats.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Good Info.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Arrow Almost done

in pic 1 & 2 you see the Western red cedar with 3 coats of spar varnish waiting for 2 or 3 more.

The recess for glass can be seen.

The atrium doors are in the works one on the saw horses another standing up in the back, need to be painted.

Pic 3 looking east you can see the Fl cypress pergola I built 2 years and the pool I installed myself.
The Pergola was recently stained to bring more color out.

Since I had nothing to do you can see a pond in the pic also.

The solar glass is being made to my sizes it will be 2 3/16" panes of glass with a 1/2" spacer filled with Argon gas, cool in the summer warm in the winter.

Another item not in pic is an elec fireplace to cozy things up in the colder months.

The entire lanai attic has R30 insulation.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	52988   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	52989   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender_3.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	52990  
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.