Glass In the Lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I like the open totally open view from the lanai out to the caged pool and beyond. The lanai is shaded most of the day, so a couple of ceiling fans keep it nice. Electric shades for the cool nights keep the wind out. A space heater does the rest.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

After two years we, like Gracie, were tired of cleaning off the furniture and moving it every time it rained, it was totally disgusting in the spring when all of the yellow and green pollen would blow in and get all over everything. We chose full height double pane argon filled sliders with sliding screens, most choose to have permanent screening all the way around but we would rather be able to wash the glass inside and out any time we want without having to remove them from their tracks, the double pane units are very heavy. Having the sliding screens also gives us multiple entry/exit areas for the lanai. We have only had it for 6 weeks or so but use it a lot. We like having the doors open when not too hot so chose to use it more like a outdoor room. When too hot we cool it with a free standing air conditioner which is very inexpensive and keeps it about 8 degrees below the outside temperature, takes out the humidity, and makes it very comfortable most of the time. Would not go back to a screened lanai and the double pane glass panels keeps out much more heat and noise than single pane. our lanai is more quiet than our house.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM

One of the most important features of the home we buy will be outdoor living space and I have not seen anything on the market right now that comes close to how stunning these photos are! Even the cat coordinates perfectly with the birds on the pillows ; ) I will definitely keep in mind what has been posted about the upkeep of the outdoor space. I don't think I would like to be wiping down the furniture too often.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

When looking at homes I found many of those that had glassed in lanais were dark in the center of the house. Now the lanai room was lovely, but the living room was less useful. We picked a home big enough for all our activities so the lanai is used for outdoor dining and reading during rainstorms. We don’t have issues with the covered lanai getting dirty except during the pollen season, so we do have to clean it once a year.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Platinum member

We put in full length stackable sliding glass doors from Custom Windows in Leesburg. When it's nice we just slide and stack the doors and we have over 66% open air. You won't regret glassing in especially in rainy season. Trying to keep the furniture dry by moving it around gets to be a hassle. We waited 2 years before we did it and wish we did it sooner.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
After two years we, like Gracie, were tired of cleaning off the furniture and moving it every time it rained, it was totally disgusting in the spring when all of the yellow and green pollen would blow in and get all over everything. We chose full height double pane argon filled sliders with sliding screens, most choose to have permanent screening all the way around but we would rather be able to wash the glass inside and out any time we want without having to remove them from their tracks, the double pane units are very heavy. Having the sliding screens also gives us multiple entry/exit areas for the lanai. We have only had it for 6 weeks or so but use it a lot. We like having the doors open when not too hot so chose to use it more like a outdoor room. When too hot we cool it with a free standing air conditioner which is very inexpensive and keeps it about 8 degrees below the outside temperature, takes out the humidity, and makes it very comfortable most of the time. Would not go back to a screened lanai and the double pane glass panels keeps out much more heat and noise than single pane. our lanai is more quiet than our house.
Could you post some pictures of this? Would love to see them.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I seem to be an oddity here but I much prefer to have outdoor space available to me. I have plenty of indoor climate controlled space and really don't need any more. Our lanai was enlarged by the original owner our home and it is screened in. I have our BBQ on the lanai, under the original lanai roof and it is directly outside of the slider from our breakfast room. I have a very short walk from the kitchen to the BBQ to our outside table and chairs. Of course we don't use this space in the hot months but absolutely love our open lanai during the cooler months. Actually, I do cook on the BBQ 12 months of the year and in the rain too because it is covered by the roof. (I BBQ a lot). So far the lanai ceiling is as clean as the day it was painted (12 years) so I don't anticipate it ever getting charred by the smoke from the grill.
Have you had any problems with your BBQ on the Lanai, grease on the floor, bugs or anything else?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
Have you had any problems with your BBQ on the Lanai, grease on the floor, bugs or anything else?
We have a Weber Grill and have never had a problem with grease on the floor. As for bugs, the grill is in the screen enclosed lanai, so no bugs.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I prefer to keep the grill outside on the uncovered concrete pad .. Lanai is used for relaxing etc not for cooking or food prep. If I did that I would have an outdoor kitchen with a vented hood. Then I would need plumbing for a sink etc.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:42 AM

This is a great discussion with a lot of useful info and pictures, can I be "THAT GUY" and ask about price?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have not, yet. We have 2 quotes within $200 of each other. It is just a matter of money at this point. After the house, furniture and 2 golf carts we have not been able to get the lanai done yet.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Could you post some pictures of this? Would love to see them.
Here they are. Each of the 3 sections allow for exit from the lanai, we only use the one in the 3rd section at this point but they are there if we choose to use them. To clean the exterior of the sliders we simply slide the screens to one side. These screens also allow 50% of the window area to be used for fresh air when choosing to do so. I made the vertical panel for the air conditioner exhaust to be portable, although it is weather proof I can remove it in just a few seconds. The glass is not tinted so it did not darken the room, we wanted to keep it light in there although it looks a little dark in the photos but it is not.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	80525   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	80526   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	80527  
Old 08-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Here they are. ...
Your lanai is lovely and your view is gorgeous! Thank you for posting the pictures. What is your floor covering?
Old 08-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRose View Post
Your lanai is lovely and your view is gorgeous! Thank you for posting the pictures. What is your floor covering?
The floor is textured porcelain tile.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The floor is textured porcelain tile.
Thank you for the info. Your lanai is so well done!

Tags
lanai, glass, didn’t, can’t, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.