Glass In the Lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRose View Post
My husband and I are considering glassing in the lanai. I am interested in hearing opinions from both those who glassed in their lanai and those who didn’t.
I suggest you move in and see if you enjoy having a screened lanai. If not, then consider enclosing it.

Some people like us love having a screened lanai, and others seem very pleased to have theirs enclosed.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I suggest you move in and see if you enjoy having a screened lanai. If not, then consider enclosing it.

Some people like us love having a screened lanai, and others seem very pleased to have theirs enclosed.
I think that is excellent advice. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExcite721 View Post
This is a great discussion with a lot of useful info and pictures, can I be "THAT GUY" and ask about price?
I'm "That Guy" too anyone able to offer info on cost? Or if not wanting to share that some companies used for installations that are resonabley priced. Would save me time contacting several places if had a short list of a few used by those that have put in windows.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,440 Posts

I'll tell you what ours was. 15 x 30 Lanai 2 walls only as third wall is bedroom extention. 12 Double pane argon filled glass panel sliding full height doors with 6 sliding screens, ceiling insulation, solar entry light, all stainless steel screws and rollers, handles on all the doors. CVS quoted $19,000, Custom windows never showed up to give me a price, one other who's name I forgot was hitting me high at $21,000, final contract with All Season Rooms $15,900 and they were the only ones offering a transferrable lifetime warranty on the windows and a lifetime warranty on leaking. The quotes I received were pretty much apples to apples with a few minor exceptions.

We like it a lot, very quiet, easy to wash the windows, easy to cool down when hot with just a room air conditioner, the room stays as clean as the interior of our home, and we can use it as a screen lanai by simply opening 6 of the sliding panels . We chose not to use tinted glass as we did not want to darken the room and at this point don't feel we need shades either.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I'll tell you what ours was. 15 x 30 Lanai 2 walls only as third wall is bedroom extention. 12 Double pane argon filled glass panel sliding full height doors with 6 sliding screens, ceiling insulation, solar entry light, all stainless steel screws and rollers, handles on all the doors. CVS quoted $19,000, Custom windows never showed up to give me a price, one other who's name I forgot was hitting me high at $21,000, final contract with All Season Rooms $15,900 and they were the only ones offering a transferrable lifetime warranty on the windows and a lifetime warranty on leaking. The quotes I received were pretty much apples to apples with a few minor exceptions.

We like it a lot, very quiet, easy to wash the windows, easy to cool down when hot with just a room air conditioner, the room stays as clean as the interior of our home, and we can use it as a screen lanai by simply opening 6 of the sliding panels . We chose not to use tinted glass as we did not want to darken the room and at this point don't feel we need shades either.
Ours was $30K. Has glass that can withstand high wind and really, really, keeps out most of the heat. I didn't believe it would. We priced several and compared several and I HATE to spend money, especially that much, but we are so enjoying that room that faces West. They reinstalled the blinds and they fit perfectly too. They also added insulation to the ceiling and repainted walls. I feel a little better about reusing the blinds. We didn't need to add any air conditioner. We just open the sliders to the house.

The kitties love that room and I am painting up a storm.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9629 (3).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	80623   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9630 (2).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	80624   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9631 (2).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	80625  

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-18-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

While considering enclosed vs screened, give consideration as to whether you really enjoy filtered/cycled air day/nite/year-round without benefit of enjoying any fresh air without having to leave your house. That's why we left ours screened with a 4' kneewall and slider windows and a full size fan and shades for the west facing window.

The idea of opening all of the windows in the house for fresh air on a temperate day and then having to race around to close them in a pop-up storm or closing them all before we left to go out or being out and realizing that the pop-up storm is gonna soak everything in range of those open windows did not appeal to us! There is nothing on the lanai that cannot tolerate a pop-up storm!

Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,324 Times in 1,440 Posts

I don't understand. It only takes a matter of a few seconds to open the sliding glass doors on the Lanai to let in fresh air, in our case 50% of the glass area would be opened with screens. When it's raining you only open the ones that are not getting wet. The air conditioning is for those days that it is too hot and humid to open the sliders so you would not be breathing only re-circulated air but can enjoy fresh air any time you wish.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Thank you for sharing your price info !!
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, glass, didn’t, can’t, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.