Glassing the lanai

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Default Glassing the lanai

Closing on new home in St. Catherine's in July. The Boss wants to glass the lanai.
Do we need to get a permit or CDD permissions to do so ?
Any other words of advice are appreciated.
*The recent thread about advice to new Villagers is of great help ! Thank you all and we hope to meet you soon.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Default do we need CDD approval / permit to paint the driveway ?

Forgot to add this question. I know I can contact the CDD about these things but the advice from 'the veterans' is invaluable.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

You need a permit. We used custom windows and they handled the process.

Sumter county came out several times to inspect the job

Last edited by Stu from NYC; 06-23-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You will need ARC approval, contact Community Standards, and as mentioned above I am sure there will be one or more building permits involved.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

I used CVS (Custom Vinyl Systems) out of Ocala for my glass enclosed lanai. They handled all permits and ARC approval forms. The process was very easy.
CUSTOM VINYL SYSTEMS – Your One-Stop-Shop!
352-237-3088
Old 06-23-2021, 11:37 AM
Default Glassing lanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
I used CVS (Custom Vinyl Systems) out of Ocala for my glass enclosed lanai. They handled all permits and ARC approval forms. The process was very easy.
CUSTOM VINYL SYSTEMS – Your One-Stop-Shop!
352-237-3088
Thanks - CVS is doing an estimate for us.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:50 AM

We used Custom Windows 5 years ago and they did all the permit and approval work. They installed floor to ceiling sliders so when we want them open it feels like a screened porch. Excellent work.
Beware - our friends had the sliders installed by another company and the windows cannot be tilted out for cleaning of the outdoor side of the glass. The outdoor side has a non-removable screen. They can only wash it by washing with a hose. Not good!
Old 06-24-2021, 05:50 AM

Be sure to use Custom Windows if you enjoy: Not showing up when promised, leaving the job after only 15 minutes of arriving to go work on another job, scratching up and denting your new frames while transporting them to your house in a manner that does not protect them from this, and installing them as if you'll never say anything, sloppily installing the plastic trim pieces and not even cutting them to the correct size, asking you to pay the remainder of the bill and they have not even close to finishing installing the product, denting/bending/creasing your screen frames while they insert them and bending them back into place hoping you won't say anything, ruining the crimping trim outside pieces so that they don't even hold anymore and hoping you don't touch them to learn that they are not even fastened on well, measuring wrong the windows and cutting them later with equipment and banging them into place. None of this made up, this is how they did mine. Wonderful Company.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Be sure to use Custom Windows if you enjoy: Not showing up when promised, leaving the job after only 15 minutes of arriving to go work on another job, scratching up and denting your new frames while transporting them to your house in a manner that does not protect them from this, and installing them as if you'll never say anything, sloppily installing the plastic trim pieces and not even cutting them to the correct size, asking you to pay the remainder of the bill and they have not even close to finishing installing the product, denting/bending/creasing your screen frames while they insert them and bending them back into place hoping you won't say anything, ruining the crimping trim outside pieces so that they don't even hold anymore and hoping you don't touch them to learn that they are not even fastened on well, measuring wrong the windows and cutting them later with equipment and banging them into place. None of this made up, this is how they did mine. Wonderful Company.
So theyre late and leave after 15 minutes. Thats sweet of you to allow them to come back and destroy your home.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

They are licensed contractors fill a complaint with the agency that licensed them if found guilt they can lose their licensed to do work in your county and your money returned you paid
Old 06-24-2021, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

one of the first things we did. elite Lifestyles on 301, they also raised the floor, got a permits
Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Sorry you had such a poor experience with them ours was fine.

They do seem to do more Florida rooms in the villages than anyone else.

They did ask for payment before job was totally finished. I refused and told them when it was done and we reviewed the job with their inspector we would pay.

They agreed and when we had a problem with a window lock they promptly came out and fixed it.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:16 AM

We used Magellan....they took care of all county permits and ARC approvals. Great to work with.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:16 AM
Default Glass enclosure for Lanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post
Closing on new home in St. Catherine's in July. The Boss wants to glass the lanai.
Do we need to get a permit or CDD permissions to do so ?
Any other words of advice are appreciated.
*The recent thread about advice to new Villagers is of great help ! Thank you all and we hope to meet you soon.
Custom windows without a doubt!
Old 06-24-2021, 07:26 AM

"Sweet of me to allow them to return to my house to destroy it"? They (Custom Windows) already had a 1/3 non-refundable deposit and no language in their contract to allow me to get that back and no language in the contract of the fact that they can delay as long as they like. I rode the ride and had to hound them over and over again in the process until finally, things were mostly ok. Hindsight is always 20/20 in every situation. The only thing I can do at this point is advise you guys of the experience I had with them. Make your own decision if you want to do business with them.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, lanai, meet, appreciated, recent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.