Glenn Miller Orchestra at the Sharon

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,925 Posts
Default Glenn Miller Orchestra at the Sharon

I am so glad we have a PAC here in TV to offer us such wonderful entertainment as the show last evening with The Glenn Miller Orchestra.

I have The Glenn Miller Story on my iPod shuffle and listen to that music all the time. It was thrilling to here the current orchestra in person. Oh, my, goodness.....they were all so awesome!

The current Modernaires were great, including the leader of the orchestra who was part of the singing group. The musicians are all so talented and to hear Glenn Miller's original arrangements LIVE was the absolute best!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I am so glad we have a PAC here in TV to offer us such wonderful entertainment as the show last evening with The Glenn Miller Orchestra.

I have The Glenn Miller Story on my iPod shuffle and listen to that music all the time. It was thrilling to here the current orchestra in person. Oh, my, goodness.....they were all so awesome!

The current Modernaires were great, including the leader of the orchestra who was part of the singing group. The musicians are all so talented and to hear Glenn Miller's original arrangements LIVE was the absolute best!
EVERYONE I know who saw this are giving RAVE REVIEWS!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

My only issue with the show was that, true to Villager form, there was a stampede to get out of the theater before the end of the show. While people were crawling over other people in their row, standing up putting on their jackets blocking the people behind them, speaking in their outside voice while leaving, the orchestra was continuing with the show. They did three more great songs. Why does that happen? Very disrespectful to the performers and those wanting to enjoy the show. Also happens at Savannah. Wait till the lights come on, that means the show is over.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage

It was a great show, we had an extremely enjoyable evening. The music was wonderful, the singing was beautiful and the theater was packed with people, clapping, singing and having fun.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
My only issue with the show was that, true to Villager form, there was a stampede to get out of the theater before the end of the show. While people were crawling over other people in their row, standing up putting on their jackets blocking the people behind them, speaking in their outside voice while leaving, the orchestra was continuing with the show. They did three more great songs. Why does that happen? Very disrespectful to the performers and those wanting to enjoy the show. Also happens at Savannah. Wait till the lights come on, that means the show is over.
I know what you mean. In fact, I was in a row dead center and all the people in the row to the right of me left early. I agree, it is very disrespectful to the performers on stage. Not very nice to the folks behind them as they gather their belongings and put on their coats......all while standing and blocking the view for people behind them. I wish they wouldn't do that.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Our Thoughts

We had the good fortune to be able to attend both the Tommy Dorsey and Glen Miller performances. It was our opinion that the Tommy Dorsey show was much better than the Glenn Miller. Of course the musicians were all terrific however they seemed less free to play and more commercial. The conductor was annoying as he stood in front of the band and acted like a high school cheerleader rather than a conductor. He should be at the side as they play as did the one at Tommy Dorsey. They did not feature the drummer, bass player and only a moment for the piano. The female singer was fine. No one can complain about the music and songs of Glenn Miller but it is fair to compare the two large historic touring bands.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We had the good fortune to be able to attend both the Tommy Dorsey and Glen Miller performances. It was our opinion that the Tommy Dorsey show was much better than the Glenn Miller. Of course the musicians were all terrific however they seemed less free to play and more commercial. The conductor was annoying as he stood in front of the band and acted like a high school cheerleader rather than a conductor. He should be at the side as they play as did the one at Tommy Dorsey. They did not feature the drummer, bass player and only a moment for the piano. The female singer was fine. No one can complain about the music and songs of Glenn Miller but it is fair to compare the two large historic touring bands.
If you look at some of the big band films the band leader was a part of the "show". Look at some of the stuff on you tube for those leaders that did not play or sing. Guy Lombard was a classic example and I thought the Glenn Miller director played that "role" well.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Lived Them

I am of an age that I grew up to the big bands and have attended them over my many years. Even going to a college Louie Prima and Kellie Smith college dance, I attended many big band concerts in New York City. Guy Lombardo did in fact lead the band but not as the one to distract from the band. The leader at the Tommy Dorsey band was discreet and did not detract from the band. It was not a "big deal" just an annoying distraction.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have noticed this at several shows also. Perhaps if the shows had an intermission this would not happen. It seems that many people can't wait until the end of the show to rush to the bathroom to empty their bladder.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We have noticed this at several shows also. Perhaps if the shows had an intermission this would not happen. It seems that many people can't wait until the end of the show to rush to the bathroom to empty their bladder.
The Glenn Miller Orchestra show did have a 15 minute intermission. The people that left the show early probably did not want to deal with traffic leaving the parking lot. To be honest, with a packed house for the show, it only took us less than 2 minutes to get out of the parking lot.

Tags
glenn, orchestra, miller, current, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.