Golf Ball Breaks Window

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Eternal Member
Default Golf Ball Breaks Window

This has been discussed several months ago but now would be a good time to get snowbird viewpoints, too.

If you are playing on one of The Villages many golf courses and happen to slice or hook (any hookers out there?) through a window of a golf course home, do you go to the house and offer to pay for all/half the damage, ignore the situation and go to the next hole, or tell the homeowner (if he comes outside) that it is his problem because he bought next to a golf course?

I am not talking of legal views here but of personal actions YOU would take - as well as what advice you would give your grandchildren or you imparted to your children.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

if I'm not mistaken it is an inherent risk of building on a fairway and is the responsibility of the home owner or at least that's what I've always been told
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would leave them my card and ask them to send me the bill. The fact that the house is on the golf course does not matter. I damaged their house and I am responsible for my actions, in this case a bad golf swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
This has been discussed several months ago but now would be a good time to get snowbird viewpoints, too.

If you are playing on one of The Villages many golf courses and happen to slice or hook (any hookers out there?) through a window of a golf course home, do you go to the house and offer to pay for all/half the damage, ignore the situation and go to the next hole, or tell the homeowner (if he comes outside) that it is his problem because he bought next to a golf course?

I am not talking of legal views here but of personal actions YOU would take - as well as what advice you would give your grandchildren or you imparted to your children.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
if I'm not mistaken it is an inherent risk of building on a fairway and is the responsibility of the home owner or at least that's what I've always been told

As I stated in the post, I am not asking for legal answers but what YOU would personallt do as well as what you would teach your grandchildren ir what you imparted to your children for such siruations.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I would leave them my card and ask them to send me the bill. The fact that the house is on the golf course does not matter. I damaged their house and I am responsible for my actions, in this case a bad golf swing.
Me too.

Just my way of thinking.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

ok, I would tell them if they lived on a fairway to get good insurance and have a window company on speed dial.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Sage

Just because it was an accident doesn't mean you are not responsible. We all have accidents but we all should be responsible for our actions.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
ok, I would tell them if they lived on a fairway to get good insurance and have a window company on speed dial.
And if you made two claims for $150 each, you might get your insurance canceled, even if you hadl pay it yourself due to deductible.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I would pay for the window.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

I think that given what the The Villages rips people off for a Lot overlooking the course they should replace any damage caused by stray golf balls. Just saying.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
I think that given what the The Villages rips people off for a Lot overlooking the course they should replace any damage caused by stray golf balls. Just saying.

Golf course views are premium lots all over this country.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

It is sarcasm Sheldon
Old 01-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
It is sarcasm Sheldon

The Villages Florida

omigosh. I don't know what that handsign means. I hope it's nice.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Homes on golf courses bring up some interesting etiquette questions. I believe in the following:

1) If I hit the ball in their yard I will retrieve it if there isn't a fence and nobody is outside. I don't see a problem with this and I only go in their yard if I see my ball (i.e. I won't go hunting around in their shrubbery). I won't open someone's gate to retrieve a ball. If the owners are visible I will say I am sorry for hitting in their yard and ask their permission to retrieve the ball. If they won't let me retrieve the ball I will dig into my golf bag and pull out a new ball.

2) I won't hit a ball from someone's yard. This seems pretty obvious since the ball would be out of bounds but I have seen a fair number of people who don't know the rules of golf and have hit an out of bounds ball from someone's yard. This is particularly obnoxious if they take a divot.

3) If I damage something I will pay for it. That fact that it wasn't intentional does not relieve me of my obligation.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Homes on golf courses bring up some interesting etiquette questions. I believe in the following:

1) If I hit the ball in their yard I will retrieve it if there isn't a fence and nobody is outside. I don't see a problem with this and I only go in their yard if I see my ball (i.e. I won't go hunting around in their shrubbery). I won't open someone's gate to retrieve a ball. If the owners are visible I will say I am sorry for hitting in their yard and ask their permission to retrieve the ball. If they won't let me retrieve the ball I will dig into my golf bag and pull out a new ball.

2) I won't hit a ball from someone's yard. This seems pretty obvious since the ball would be out of bounds but I have seen a fair number of people who don't know the rules of golf and have hit an out of bounds ball from someone's yard. This is particularly obnoxious if they take a divot.

3) If I damage something I will pay for it. That fact that it wasn't intentional does not relieve me of my obligation.
actually you are not allowed to retrieve it per instructions from the Good Golf School
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.