Golf Ball Breaks Window

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I would pay for the broken window. I'm living in my 8th house on a golf course and I've never had a window broken, but if someone broke a window and offered to pay for it I'd let them know that I had it covered. I won't walk into someone else's yard to retrieve a ball, but if it could be reached with a ball retriever I'd do that. I do not like it when others come into my yard to retrieve a ball, but if I were outside and they asked I'd certainly allow it. I'd probably even pick it up and hand it back if I were closer than they were.

You should be promoted by TOTV to "Sage."
Old 01-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I found the actual article on the internet. It appears that most of the balls are just landing in their yard but they have had some significant damage. Here is a link:

SPORTSbyBROOKS » What The? Couples Home Hit By 30,000+ Golf Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
There was a post on TOTV several months back about a home in Naples, FL that has been hit by over 30,000 golf balls in 15 years. You'd have to wear a hard hat and body armor to be out in that yard putzing around.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
It's unlikely that you'll ever have a broken window, but if you do I hope the golfer will fess up. Best of luck!! How soon are you moving down here for good?
My wife and her mom will be there 3/1 (her mom moving into Providence). I'll be in KC until our home here sells; hopefully won't be long as it is in a desirable neighborhood north of KC.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
There was a post on TOTV several months back about a home in Naples, FL that has been hit by over 30,000 golf balls in 15 years. You'd have to wear a hard hat and body armor to be out in that yard putzing around.
Here is the story. click here

The house was there 7 years before the golf course. The golf course has has 3 different owners. Sometime they get 200 balls a day landing on their property. I think the golf course should be held liable since the house was there first and the course did not take any measures to protect the house. Instead of a golf course what if it was a shooting range?

There was a golf course I use to play called Ramblewood in Mt. Laurel, NJ . There were houses built around the course. The golf course owners want to sell the course to building investors but were prevented because the residents were sold golf course lots and they have to remain golf course lots. Otherwise the houses would unfairly depreciate.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It's unlikely that you'll ever have a broken window, but if you do I hope the golfer will fess up. Best of luck!! How soon are you moving down here for good?
unlikely??? try living on the right side of the fairway 150 yards out and say that!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
unlikely??? try living on the right side of the fairway 150 yards out and say that!
Yep! If you live 150 yards from the tee boxes or the green and on the right side you certainly are much more likely to get hit. I was in real estate for 41 years and whenever someone bought a home from me that was on a course, I told them of my personal experience but that I would never tell anyone that "you will never get hit". Few did, except those, apparently like you, that lived in that perfect spot. Hope those who damaged your property have fessed up and made it right with you.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My wife and her mom will be there 3/1 (her mom moving into Providence). I'll be in KC until our home here sells; hopefully won't be long as it is in a desirable neighborhood north of KC.
Best of luck in selling your home. My wife's mother, sister, brother-in-law, two nieces and their husbands live in Blue Springs.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yep! If you live 150 yards from the tee boxes or the green and on the right side you certainly are much more likely to get hit. I was in real estate for 41 years and whenever someone bought a home from me that was on a course, I told them of my personal experience but that I would never tell anyone that "you will never get hit". Few did, except those, apparently like you, that lived in that perfect spot. Hope those who damaged your property have fessed up and made it right with you.
No one has to fess up. That's the law. This is the crux of the problem. You bought the house, you bought knowing the risks, you decided how to prevent or not prevent damage, you make the profit.
If I bought the house these would be my problems and I would have solutions to prevent damage.
Do unto others applies.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Best of luck in selling your home. My wife's mother, sister, brother-in-law, two nieces and their husbands live in Blue Springs.
When my wife started her career with DOJ, she lived in Blue Springs. A lot of changes in 28 years.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
And the ideology of envy?
not envy but reality
Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Sage

And the ideology of envy?
What does this mean?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think what Kitty meant by the ideology of envy is something like this;

Some people can afford to live on higher priced lots on the golf course. Probably due to working hard, working long hours, sacrificing a lot along the way, being conservative in expenditures, waiting to retire, living carefully and saving their money.

And some people cannot afford to live on higher priced lots on the golf course. Sometimes the golf cart lot livers are envied due to no bad deed of their own.

No one knows for sure, but I don't think we have many drug dealers living on those expensive lots. And if the people who live on a golf course lot can afford them...then enjoy them thoroughly.

You worked hard and you deserve it Kitty. You carried the world's problems on your back and in your heart. I hope you enjoy the view and the lovely home for a very long time.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran member
Default The law is the law -- but

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
No one has to fess up. That's the law. This is the crux of the problem. You bought the house, you bought knowing the risks, you decided how to prevent or not prevent damage, you make the profit.
If I bought the house these would be my problems and I would have solutions to prevent damage.
Do unto others applies.
Many years ago I was involved in a very touchy legal situation and on the advice of my company's and my own attorney I followed the law. It was the wrong thing to have done. It was the law but that did not make it the moral, ethical or right thing to have done. I regretted it from the outset. If the same thing were to ever happen again I would do what is right and take my chances with the law. The law may be the law, but it has no morals or ethics. It has no conscience and does not have the ability to cover all possible situations and every conceivable ambiguity.

And I understand what the law is in this case. I just don't think it's right. Each of us has to make our own judgments and decisions based upon whatever values we may hold.

Last edited by tedquick; 01-15-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 PM

I've played 6 times since arriving in January and I haven't seen a golf ball smash a window yet. Many of those playing can't break a window because their ball doesn't get up in the air that high.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I am not talking of legal views here but of personal actions YOU would take - as well as what advice you would give your grandchildren or you imparted to your children.
Quote:
Each of us has to make our own judgments and decisions based upon whatever values we may hold.
Exactly. We all have different value systems that govern our decision making.
Therefore, there will be no consensus on this thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.