Golf Ball Breaks Window

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
I find it telling how many of those that say they would pay for the damage will say nothing more than it's their responsiblity for hitting their ball off course, while the others that do not appear to not want to accept responsiblity for the damage, appear to make different explainations (excuses?) about why they shouldn't have to pay for the damage they caused.

If I scrapped up against someone's car in the parking lot by misjudging my car's parking space, then I would feel responsible and wait for the driver to return or leave a note on their car. I see no difference with hitting my golf ball carelessly, or in the wrong direction and breaking out someone's house window...both these actions have (unintentionally) caused damaged to an innocent person's property and I hold myself morally responsible for my actions. It's a matter of character and my parents and grandparents alike both taught me to have good character. It may not immediately feel good to fess up and pay up, but I feel that if I treat my fellow man the way I would wish to be treated if something like this happened to me, I will never have to doubt my decision, consciously worry, or worse yet be a bad example to those that may wish to emulate me.
I agree with most of what you said; however, when I park in a parking lot I do so with the expectation everyone will stay in their own space and not damage my vehicle. If I buy on the golf course I do so knowing full well there is a possibility my home could be damaged by errant balls.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM

If you hit a golf ball and it causes any damage, you are liable.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Sage

I play every day. I'm going to ask the starters and ambassadors if they know how many windows are broken a year on the courses they take care of. Most of the bigger homes have lanais.
If anyone else golfs on this thread please do the same. I'll bet it's very, very rare.

I doubt if any will.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Default Another Perspective

Errant shots in golf are not accidents, they are part of the game and even happen to the best professional golfers. Perhaps that is why the law does not hold the golfer liable and sees the homeowner as assuming risk when buying a house on a golf course.

Now consider the homeowner demanding a golfer to pay for damages. Is that fair to the golfer when the homeowner knows the law and chooses to ignore the law in their favor? The homeowner is the one that needs to be responsible.

I live on a golf course. While deciding to purchase the house, I wondered how often the house would be hit by golf balls. If a golfer damages my property and offers to pay for damages I would say, "You do not have to pay, this is part of living on a course."

In answer to the question, I would not pay. It was not an accident, it was a just a bad golf shot.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I do not live on a golf course now but I have lived on two courses over the past twenty years. It has mostly been a good experience with a few yahoo golfer experiences. Never have had a broken window but balls have hit the house and in the yard. Yes, I knew there was a resonable expectation that my property might be damaged but I also had a reasonable expectation that those on the golf course knew how to play. The biggest problem came from those who played the black tees when they obviously should have been on the gold. Yes, both my husband and I golf. I guess the real question here is ...DO WHATEVER LETS YOU SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT. Tha seems to vary from person to person. As for me, I,will,offer to pay. I was always grateful for those who were respectful of my property but never asked anyone who offered to pay to do so.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I do not live on a golf course now but I have lived on two courses over the past twenty years. It has mostly been a good experience with a few yahoo golfer experiences. Never have had a broken window but balls have hit the house and in the yard. Yes, I knew there was a resonable expectation that my property might be damaged but I also had a reasonable expectation that those on the golf course knew how to play. The biggest problem came from those who played the black tees when they obviously should have been on the gold. Yes, both my husband and I golf. I guess the real question here is ...DO WHATEVER LETS YOU SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT. Tha seems to vary from person to person. As for me, I,will,offer to pay. I was always grateful for those who were respectful of my property but never asked anyone who offered to pay to do so.
Thank-you for sharing
If they never broke a window would they offer to pay if they hit your house?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Sage

off topic:
Do houses on a golf course appreciate equally as house not on the golf course?
When I was shopping a year plus July 4], the golf course lot's were starting at $155k in Collier as I recall. Anyone know what they are starting at now?

I always wondered too if executive golf course lots were priced the same as championship golf course lots.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Sage

Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
When you park in a parking lot, you can't honestly believe everyone will stay inside the lines. Certainly you do so with the knowledge that there is the possibility that someone will open their door and hit your car because they did not park properly or their carriage rolls into your car and scratches it. It is an accident but one expects them to assume the responsibility?
I think that's the difference between people that think like you and people that think like me. Most people think like you. They get angry when things don't go there way.

I have a new car and it's important to me that it not get chafed in any way. I am one of those people who will park far and away from everyone else and enjoy the walk. When the time comes that I cannot walk that far I will expect the worse. And feel grateful if someone assumes responsibility for damage.

In an odd sort of way this keeps me happy because I am never disappointed. After all, it's only a car.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Thank-you for sharing
If they never broke a window would they offer to pay if they hit your house?
We had a stucco home And the balls damaged the stucco. We paid 600 to 700 dollars a year for stucco repair and yes, occasionally someone offered to pay. Many people came into our yard uninvited...many asked permission. I never minded those who asked. As I said before...most errant shots where from those trying to tee off beyond their capability.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Legally not responsible for costs, but demonstrates the degradation of our society. Don't take responsibility for your own actions or misdeeds if you don't have to. A sad commentary !!
Quote:
I don't see the parallel. Can you explain your point?
A post was written about a person stealing a shag bag full of golf balls off a persons cart. This person made the choice to steal something from
a(nother) Villager and was very irresponsible for his actions when he didn't have to do that.

The parallel is, he is the same type of irresponsible person that would break a persons window with a golf ball and not notify the homeowner of this, in essence, he is stealing the homeowners funds required to pay for his window.

I've unfortunately broke 1 window in all my years of playing golf, and yes, I left a note on the homeowners door with my contact info.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We had a stucco home And the balls damaged the stucco. We paid 600 to 700 dollars a year for stucco repair and yes, occasionally someone offered to pay. Many people came into our yard uninvited...many asked permission. I never minded those who asked. As I said before...most errant shots where from those trying to tee off beyond their capability.
I had no idea stucco was that fragile. I always thought that broken windows was the biggest risk. I couldn't afford a golf course lot so I didn't look into it.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
A post was written about a person stealing a shag bag full of golf balls off a persons cart. This person made the choice to steal something from
a(nother) Villager and was very irresponsible for his actions when he didn't have to do that.

The parallel is, he is the same type of irresponsible person that would break a persons window with a golf ball and not notify the homeowner of this, in essence, he is stealing the homeowners funds required to pay for his window.

I've unfortunately broke 1 window in all my years of playing golf, and yes, I left a note on the homeowners door with my contact info.
You are right. You are a good person. I am not.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Gold member

I like your honesty.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
You are right. You are a good person. I am not.
Sure looks that way,doesn't it? Did you teach your values (?) to your children, too?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.