Golf Cart Access Via Woodridge

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Gold member
Default Golf Cart Access Via Woodridge

Does anyone remember when we use to be able to go to Walmart ( 466 ) in our golf carts via Woodridge and enter the Walmart parking lot from the back entrance? That was such a safer route versus using the tunnel that we have to currently use right there at Steak & Shake to get to Walmart. Wedgewood Lane is generally quite busy and of course it surely increases during season. The area after exiting the tunnel to cross into Walmart can get pretty congested. Does anyone agree with me? I would be interested in learning the protocol for the right steps to see if golf carts could legally continue straight thru on Woodridge instead of using the tunnel afterall it is only one more block of travel & crossing over 103 which surely has less traffic in that area. Who do I contact regarding this? Thanks in advance for any opinions, suggestions, thoughts, or ideas on this.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Does anyone remember when we use to be able to go to Walmart ( 466 ) in our golf carts via Woodridge and enter the Walmart parking lot from the back entrance? That was such a safer route versus using the tunnel that we have to currently use right there at Steak & Shake to get to Walmart. Wedgewood Lane is generally quite busy and of course it surely increases during season. The area after exiting the tunnel to cross into Walmart can get pretty congested. Does anyone agree with me? I would be interested in learning the protocol for the right steps to see if golf carts could legally continue straight thru on Woodridge instead of using the tunnel afterall it is only one more block of travel & crossing over 103 which surely has less traffic in that area. Who do I contact regarding this? Thanks in advance for any opinions, suggestions, thoughts, or ideas on this.
I can't remember ever being able to access Walmart by using Woodridge Road, crossing CR 103 and going in the back entrance. I don't think that has ever been legal. It's always been a requirement to take Wedgewood Lane and use the tunnel under CR. 103. Otherwise you'll be getting a hefty ticket.

To the best of my knowledge, no golf cart can ever cross a Country Road unless it is a licensed Street Legal Golf Cart. I think you'd find it a lot easier to buy a Street Legal than to change the policy on Country Roads!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

There has never been access from Woodridge.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

At one time I also entered Walmart from the road behind the store. It was prior to Bealls being built and when the buffalo still roamed.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum member

I believe it has never been legal to cross CR 103 in a golf cart. Just because many people did, it just means they never got caught!

Last edited by Ooper; 10-27-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
It has never been legal to cross CR 103 in a golf cart. Just because many people did, it just means they never got caught!
And some people continue to drive across CR 103 today! Please drive to Wedgewood and take the tunnel. Otherwise you may be complaining on TOTV about the fact you were ticketed and paid a hefty fine.

Oh, and by the way, I often see golf carts on both Wedgewood and Woodbridge, zooming across CR 101. And they're not Street Legal carts. Either they don't know about the tunnel, or they just can't be bothered using it. CR 101 is extremely busy, and it's a very dangerous thing to do.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold member

I am not saying I crossed 103 illegally..I am not saying I want to do it illegally.. I don't want to buy a street legal cart and I am not talking about crossing 101 I;m talking about 103. I simply was asking for opinions & suggestions of how to go about the proper procedure to see if it could become permissible. When Walmart was first built and maybe as mentioned until Bealls was built, traveling to Walmart was done on Woodridge and crossing 103 was permitted. Some or many may not remember that but that's how it was. After some time there appeared a sign on Woodridge near the Hair Academy "no carts beyond this point". The tunnel was complete and that became the legal route. Since permission has been granted to cross 441 somewhere near Stonecrest I thought it could be a possibility to get permission granted to legally cross 103 as I feel the current route is quite hectic. Didn't think my original post would get so misconstrued.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum member

I agree with you, kaydee. CR 103 is a relatively low traffic road and I personally don't see what the problem would be if they allowed crossing through that intersection any more than any of the other intersections on Wedgewood or Woodbridge. Maybe it's because the developer doesn't want it to seem like they wasted their money building that expensive tunnel and then not having to use it.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
Since permission has been granted to cross 441 somewhere near Stonecrest I thought it could be a possibility to get permission granted to legally cross 103 as I feel the current route is quite hectic. Didn't think my original post would get so misconstrued.
Kaydee, I don't think the intent of your original post was misconstrued. We were just chatting about the fact that none of us can remember it ever being legal to cross CR 103 in a golf cart.

Perhaps Janet Tutt could steer you in the right direction. She seems to know a lot about Village business, and how to get things done. If permission was granted to cross CR 441 by golf cart, could it be that there was already a stoplight there, with a crossing for foot traffic?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Veteran member

Kaydee, I'm with you on this. The tunnel route by Steak and Shake is unsafe on both sides of the tunnel. During the season, it is congested and scary.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

yes, as soon as you exit, you have to cross that busy street in front of Walmart.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Kaydee, I don't think the intent of your original post was misconstrued. We were just chatting about the fact that none of us can remember it ever being legal to cross CR 103 in a golf cart.

Perhaps Janet Tutt could steer you in the right direction. She seems to know a lot about Village business, and how to get things done. If permission was granted to cross CR 441 by golf cart, could it be that there was already a stoplight there, with a crossing for foot traffic?
Thank you for suggesting my contacting Janet Tutt. Not sure if the crossing on 441 has anything to do with the existing stoplight or not but surely a possibility.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM

The law that was passed last year about GOLF Carts crossing main roads does not apply to US27/441. It is NOT Legal to drive across this main street with or without a signal. If it was why is Stonecrest CRYING about the new wall/gate the villages is erecting on Paradise and NE 134th st preventing their seniors from getting to the medical buildings on the west side of US27/441. Better be careful where you drive your golf cart or a nice police man will give you a present you won't like. Some things in life are a little inconvenient but in the long run MUCH safer than the alternative. Are you really in that big a hurry. But with that being said I agree after you coming out of the tunnel trying to get to Walmart it is a dangerous street to cross BEWARE of OLD people driving. As I am ONE of them I can say that. LOL This is where some type of change should be made. What is the solution?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirart View Post
The law that was passed last year about GOLF Carts crossing main roads does not apply to US27/441. It is NOT Legal to drive across this main street with or without a signal. If it was why is Stonecrest CRYING about the new wall/gate the villages is erecting on Paradise and NE 134th st preventing their seniors from getting to the medical buildings on the west side of US27/441. Better be careful where you drive your golf cart or a nice police man will give you a present you won't like. Some things in life are a little inconvenient but in the long run MUCH safer than the alternative. Are you really in that big a hurry. But with that being said I agree after you coming out of the tunnel trying to get to Walmart it is a dangerous street to cross BEWARE of OLD people driving. As I am ONE of them I can say that. LOL This is where some type of change should be made. What is the solution?
personally speaking, one solution to what I think is a dangerous area trying to get into walmart on 466 after coming out of the tunnel is, to do what use to be allowed and cross 104 and enter walmart from the back. It is by far safer, no blind areas and far less traffic.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

I'm not sure the back route to Walmart is entirely The Villages property. But if it is, I love the idea.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.