Golf Cart Accident on BUena Vista Rec Trail

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Some ding-dong turned in front of us today in a parking lot. I guess we were supposed to stop because he had on his left hand blinker and we were simply going straight. We got the finger because we had to slam on brakes to keep from hitting him. Jiminies.

Yes, we all have to drive as if everyone else is a complete idiot. Because, as it turns out, it could well be true.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Yesterday there was a white crossover SUV going the wrong way in the roundabout at BV & St. Charles. It had FL plates, so we wondered if he supposedly knew his way around TV. But maybe not.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM

I am afraid that as The Villages get larger and larger, we are seeing the beginning of how things very well may become. I grew up being taught that it was only common courtesy to hold doors open for ANYONE who was following even relatively close behind you. This fall/winter I have almost been knocked down twice by men (60 ish ??) who came charging through the door as soon as I opened it to go through. Never a thank you, or excuse me. Then there have been numerous times I was pretty much right behind a man who saw me, but only opened the door enough for himself and let the door shut-almost hitting me in the face. Obviously there are still mostly wonderful people around here, but the bigger we get, the more we will see this kind of stuff.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 PM

Just curious as to why the Florida Highway Patrol was called in to investigate? It's seem to me like Sumter County Sheriff Dept. could have handled it on their own.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 PM

We are a "city" of 100,000 people, there are going to be collisions and other unpleasant things happening. We should drive defensively whether in our cars or carts. I still think this is the best place to be and I will remember that no one is perfect and I'll watch out for the "other guy". Just as if I were anywhere else.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
I am afraid that as The Villages get larger and larger, we are seeing the beginning of how things very well may become. I grew up being taught that it was only common courtesy to hold doors open for ANYONE who was following even relatively close behind you. This fall/winter I have almost been knocked down twice by men (60 ish ??) who came charging through the door as soon as I opened it to go through. Never a thank you, or excuse me. Then there have been numerous times I was pretty much right behind a man who saw me, but only opened the door enough for himself and let the door shut-almost hitting me in the face. Obviously there are still mostly wonderful people around here, but the bigger we get, the more we will see this kind of stuff.
They have to be from anywhere but the South; true Southern people do say "thank you" when doors are opened for them. I stop in a local Quik Trip a couple of days a week here in KC and I always try to pick someone who looks like there having a bad day and I'll pay for what ever the have in hopes they have a better day; most of the time it appears to. Whenever I make it to TV this year, I'll try it on out on our friends from the north and see what happens.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yesterday there was a white crossover SUV going the wrong way in the roundabout at BV & St. Charles. It had FL plates, so we wondered if he supposedly knew his way around TV. But maybe not.
If they were going the wrong way in the roundabout, it was more than likely a European, and I would think in a rental car if the plates were from Florida.

Several years ago we were waiting to enter the traffic circle at Savannah when we saw this very big SUV creeping round the roundabout the wrong way, but people were wonderful to them, the traffic had stopped to let him get off the roundabout and onto BV.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Maybe the villages need to invest in some more speed bumps. Another danger spot coming out of tunnels. Lots verily slow down. I can see future accident plowing into side cart. Nice big speed bump before the Stop sign might work at least slowing some carts down on the ones that don't. Maybe on blind corners on the trials also? I am surprised LSV are not in more accidents due to the extra, width, length, and speed on the paths. Especially around corners.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

In most states a serious accident or fatality is considered a crime scene and police are involved, regards less of vehicle.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
They have to be from anywhere but the South; true Southern people do say "thank you" when doors are opened for them. I stop in a local Quik Trip a couple of days a week here in KC and I always try to pick someone who looks like there having a bad day and I'll pay for what ever the have in hopes they have a better day; most of the time it appears to. Whenever I make it to TV this year, I'll try it on out on our friends from the north and see what happens.
No. They are from Ohio.

But we let people pay for themselves and do things sneakily and privately to help if we can...and like Tippyclub on here who brought chicken soup to friend with the flu....keep the world heading in the right direction. I have information that this happens with people who a lot of other states call "rednecks".

I am just kidding. There are people from the east coast who hold doors who live here. I know both of them.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage

I don't own or drive a golf cart. Honestly after observing golf cart drivers, they really are too big to fit in a golf cart. You can't control a vehicle that doesn't fit your body. Also, carts with their short wheelbase are too"quick" for older drivers with slower physical responses. They react way to fast for older drivers.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Maybe the villages need to invest in some more speed bumps. Another danger spot coming out of tunnels. Lots verily slow down. I can see future accident plowing into side cart. Nice big speed bump before the Stop sign might work at least slowing some carts down on the ones that don't. Maybe on blind corners on the trials also? I am surprised LSV are not in more accidents due to the extra, width, length, and speed on the paths. Especially around corners.
speed bumps at all the gates wouldn't be a bad idea either!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage

At golf today someone told me 17 deaths in 4 years due to golf cart accidents. Someone here gave a statistic too. I couldn't find it. Is that true?

I would like to read the reports and see if there are common denominators that can be corrected by changing the road condition.

A few tunnels have speed bumps and they make people slow down. I don't have a cart for now so I bike the paths. I stay mostly south and I know of only a couple of blind spots. A speed bump before a blind spot makes sense to me. I use the tunnel mirrors.

Just telling people to slow down is overly optimistic. Another guy in my group said that insurance will not cover any losses if your cart can go over 20 mph. Is that true?

Seat belts make sense. You would like to think that the person not wearing the seat belt made that decision and if they get hurt it wouldn't bother the driver in the other cart but I don't think most people are built that way.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

I find no difference in the way people drive----doesn't matter what part of the country you spent you're"other life". Some studies actually show that older drivers are more careful and have fewer accidents. Yep, there are always exceptions!

Perhaps we don't stay as focused as we should when driving our golf carts. There are lots of beautiful "things" to see when in your open air golf cart.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
At golf today someone told me 17 deaths in 4 years due to golf cart accidents. Someone here gave a statistic too. I couldn't find it. Is that true?

I would like to read the reports and see if there are common denominators that can be corrected by changing the road condition.

A few tunnels have speed bumps and they make people slow down. I don't have a cart for now so I bike the paths. I stay mostly south and I know of only a couple of blind spots. A speed bump before a blind spot makes sense to me. I use the tunnel mirrors.

Just telling people to slow down is overly optimistic. Another guy in my group said that insurance will not cover any losses if your cart can go over 20 mph. Is that true?

Seat belts make sense. You would like to think that the person not wearing the seat belt made that decision and if they get hurt it wouldn't bother the driver in the other cart but I don't think most people are built that way.

14 deaths in the last five years. The POA bulletin and the online news have reported them. You will find that they were due to a lot of different circumstances but the bottom line is that an open vehicle does not protect a soft body.

People have been thrown out and hit their head, People have run into trees and other obstacles including carts and cars and people driving other vehicles including carts and cars have run into them. Some folks were driving while impaired and some were not. It was due, as I said before to a lot of different things. A person who is 40 has a slow reaction time if they're drunk.

You know how I hate age bias.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.