Golf Cart Connection

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Golf Cart Connection

Just a matter of curiosity, when folks have their golf carts modified to enable them to go faster, do they also modify the braking system to enable the carts to stop as fast as the 19.5 MPH carts and do they do something to adjust the stabilization of carts that are now making turns like NASCAR vehicles?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
I read somewhere (probably on the web--and you know how accurate the web is!!!) that for every two inch increase in tire size, your golf cart will go 3 mph faster. The basic cart comes with 8" wheels. So if this info is accurate, 12"' wheels would give you a 6 mph advantage without tinkering with the governor or opting for high-speed gears. George
Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 PM

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE CONSIDERING CHANGEING TO LARGER TIRES AND WHEELS. LARGER TIRES AND WHEELS DO INCREASE SPEED BUT THERE WILL BE A SLIGHT LOSS IN TORQUE FOR HILL CLIMBING. HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ON SIZE OF TIRES AND WHEELS TO CONSIDER.

TIRE SIZE WHEEL SIZE TIRE HEIGHT
18-8.50-8 8 INCH 18.00 INCHES (STANDARD TIRE AND WHEEL)
215-35-12 12 INCH 17.93 INCHES
205-50-10 10 INCH 18.07 INCHES
215-50-10 10 INCH 18.46 INCHES
205-60-10 10 INCH 19.69 INCHES
205-65-10 10 INCH 20.50 INCHES
20-8-10 10 INCH 20.00 INCHES
23-10.50-12 12 INCH 23.00 INCHES
205-50-15 15 INCH 23.00 INCHES

ANYTHING ABOVE 19.46 INCHES WILL NOT FIT YAMAHA G22 ON THE REAR WITHOUT USING A LIFT KIT. CLUB CARS CAN GO UP TO 20.5 WITHOUT LIFT KIT (DEPENDING ON YOUR LOAD) IF YOU HAVE A 4 SEATER WITH STANDARD SPRINGS (1 LEAF ON REAR) YOU SHOULD USE THE HEAVY DUTY SPRINGS (3-4 LEAF) TO KEEP FROM SCRUBING ON THE FENDERS. THE USE OF 23-10.50-12 AND ABOVE ON ANY CART REQUIRES 6 TO 8 INCH LIFT KITS.

HAVE A GREAT DAY AND SAFE HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
unless the cart is lifted I don't think 12" tires will fit.

215-35-12 TIRES AND WHEELS WILL FIT ANY CART WITHOUT A LIFT KIT BEING INSTALLED AS THEY ARE ONLY 17.93 INCHES IN HEIGHT, SLIGHLY LESS THAN STANDARD TIRES OF 18-8.50-8.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just curious Cliff, how are you determining your speed of 19 MPH or are you simply restating what someone told you or assuming that is your speed. For all you know it may be 13MPH or even 20 :cop: .

Bottom line is if you and everyone drives reasonable and with some common sense everyone can be happy without assuming everyone who claims to have a "fast cart" is guilty of something.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:48 PM

If you know anyone with a portable handheld GPS unit, borrow it and use it to check your speed. They are very accurate. I also have a Schwinn bicycle speedo installed from Walmart, less than $20. Speedometer, odometer and a lot of other functions.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

I have no idea how fast the Golf Cart goes which we borrowed from our friend when in TV last March as there was no speedometer. Since my previous Golf Cart experience had been limited to golf courses it was somewhat intimidating to be driving on designated cart "paths"/roads coupled with the fact that we were using a combination of maps and GPS to navigate because we didn't know our way around. I was totally unnerved by how fast some folks took turns and flew up/down, in/out and all around tunnels, roundabouts and intersections :yikes:.

If someone rolled up behind us going faster I just pulled over and let them pass; except for those individuals with "Super Carts" who blew by us so fast we never had a chance to move over crap

When asked about Golf Cart accidents one of our friends said that there have been some horrendous accidents which gave me pause to consider Golf Cart safety. Perhaps a fully armored, tank styled Golf Cart might be appropriate 1rnfl .

As I've mentioned before I have a tendency to drive on the speedy side; I'm sure that after spending more time in TV I'll be more comfortable on the paths/roads but I'm not sure I really want a "Super Cart"; I'm more inclined to buy a "Super Bike" evil6
Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage

I guess I'll have to consider this Hummer golf cart:

The Villages Florida
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
I guess I'll have to consider this Hummer golf cart:

The Villages Florida
:hot: 040 Now that's what I'm talking about evil6 1rnfl I bet that custom job costs a fortune!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM

784caroline, I am driving my third golf cart since moving to FL. Each and every time I was asked by the dealer if I wanted a standard motor or a high speed motor (wink, wink) I have only owned the standard which is rated at 19 or below mph. The people here that we are afraid of are getting gas carts and taking off the governor in order to gain speed. The electric carts we are in fear of are the ones where the motor and differential (I believe it is called that) are specially geared to go faster than the normal cart. These carts, not registered to legally drive on the main roadways, sometimes exceed 35mph. That is REALLY fast when traveling on the golf cart paths. It doesn't take a genius to know when someone is coming at you in excess of 19mph. If you currently live in TV, you know that to be true. Today's Observer had a great article on how the Sheriffs Dept has modified it's fight against cart speeders. Forget a speeding ticket for the cart driver. They will charge him/her with driving an unregistered vehicle, report the violation to insurance companies, require the driver to appear before a judge, and, if they are inclined to do so, they can lock up the driver. I can see this happening when you get a speeder who has been at the 2fors at the town centers and is heading home driving like a NASCAR driver. I'm all for the increased enforcement. The life they save may be mine or someone I love. The standard golf cart is not designed to be safe when traveling at speeds over 19mph. Enough said? The only time I want to appear before a judge is when I serve on jury duty.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Just as I suspected :yikes:

"Golf courses can be a little rough during this time of the year. Your every day golf cart may not handle the rough terrain. The H2 Hummer Golf Cart will get you around the golf course in style. The 3.75hp Electric Motor is the most fuel efficient Hummer on the market. The golf cart can hit top speeds of 25 mph and comes with an array of features such as Seat Belts - $285.00 or the essential Diamond Plate Utility Box - $585.00. If golfing with your posse is more your style you can get 6 Passenger Limo Version for an additional $3,874.00 or a 8 Passenger Stretch Limo Version an additional $4,974. Base Price: $17850"

Think I'll run right out and get me one, NOT! 1rnfl
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Sage

I wish I knew that my candy apple red golf cart from Discount golf carts would break down 3 days after we bought it. If I had known that Golf Cart connection had such rave reviews, that would have been my choice!

However, they did come out and fix it so we will give them the benefit of the doubt. Barefoot, see what you would have gotten yourself into! >

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Platinum member

There's been so much talk about GCC, that I see thev've now decided to join as sponsors of TOTV. Have to be honest, never considered a Star golf cart until I went to their web site. I'd seen enough of them around with their bumpers and unique logo but just assumed they were Club cars. We find it's cheaper and more practical to rent a golf cart for the few weeks that we're down but we'll be buying one sooner or later. Sponsors shouldn't just assume that everyone already has one.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Lightin up Clifford:

All the responses stated that if they have a cart that runs 25 mph (thats miles per hour) they are only interested the legal speed limit, No reason to panic about police cars, judges,jail,traveling to Ocala in a golf cart to go to court and staying the weekend in jail only to be bailed out by your insurance agent......live a little Cliff, ps Have you taken your puilse lately ????? Its only money pal.....I have two carts and they are both hot, My wife always takes the fastest one and leaves me with the slower go'er
yesterday returning from one of the many beautiful golf courses in tv , I actually passed a LEXUS. granted he was backing out of a parking space but it was thrilling......enjoy , enjoy.............
Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Fast cars --Slow cars, If you are sensible you will drive sensible, If your a complainer about the fast cars you must always be complaining about the cars on the road too, Look if your cart go's over 20 miles per hour, and you drive it that fast then you should get a ticket, the same as anybody else driving on the highways, But if your doing 15 and a cart passes you why do you give them a dirty look when they pass you because your the one going slow, That your right to go slow but don't get down on the guy who passes you. And as far as I know there is no law here in the villages that even says you have to have a driver license to operate a golf cart on the streets let alone insurance. And how about those who pile a bunch of kids in the golf cart and drive down the road, What about the seat belts that you use in your car that you strap them into, Do you think of that when you put the kids in your golf cart and drive down one of the streets in your golf cart with no protection, I bet some of the complainers are the one who pile the kids in the cart or even let them drive. So lets just drive sensible, Your cart may go 25 and there's nothings wrong with that just keep the speed down and use it when its needed like your regular car.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.