Smoke Detector replacement after 10 years?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Smoke Detector replacement after 10 years?

I have heard and I know I can google and call to get an answer, however I am interested in knowing if anybody has replaced the smoke and CO detectors in their homes when hitting the 10 year mark.

I have read and heard opinions ranging up to 10 years to replace them as the sensors become less effective.

Have you changed yours?

Yes the article in this mornings paper inspired the question. And the new long life battery units all happen to be rated at 10 years!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:41 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Yes, I did. The NFPA recommends it. I also upgraded my detectors from the older Ionization type to the recommended Photoelectric type. One can also buy the dual Ionization/Photoelectric type.

I found it to be an easy DIY project. The ones I installed are a dual hard wired with battery back up. If you upgrade the 9 volt batteries with the more expensive Lithium batteries you can keep those batteries in for many years and not need to change them annually.

Happy New Year! Frank
Old 01-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

New Florida law in effect, see below, (from the other newspaper)....

New law aimed at phasing out old battery-operated smoke alarms
December 31, 2014 By Staff Report 4 Comments
A new law calls for Florida homeowners to begin phasing out old battery-operated smoke alarms. When people replace their smoke alarms, they must reinstall a detector with a nonremovable and nonreplaceable battery that lasts at least 10 years.
The law takes effect Jan. 1.
According to a National Fire Protection Association study published last March, about three in every five fatal fires occur in houses without working smoke alarms. According to the state Department of Health, 103 people in Florida died from fire-related injuries in 2012, the latest year for which statistics were available online. More than 500 people suffered other injuries in blazes across the state.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
New Florida law in effect, see below, (from the other newspaper)....

New law aimed at phasing out old battery-operated smoke alarms
December 31, 2014 By Staff Report 4 Comments
A new law calls for Florida homeowners to begin phasing out old battery-operated smoke alarms. When people replace their smoke alarms, they must reinstall a detector with a nonremovable and nonreplaceable battery that lasts at least 10 years.
The law takes effect Jan. 1.
According to a National Fire Protection Association study published last March, about three in every five fatal fires occur in houses without working smoke alarms. According to the state Department of Health, 103 people in Florida died from fire-related injuries in 2012, the latest year for which statistics were available online. More than 500 people suffered other injuries in blazes across the state.
That was the article I referred to in my querry. I did not find it to be very informative other than the law goes into effect. Perhaps a rookie reporter with docket info only....
Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

I had to replace the CO monitor and the Fire Dept. Came out to do it. I bought an exact replacement at ACE Hardware. The Firemen told me to replace all of the smoke detectors as well. I just went to ACE and bought all new ones, but they are the same as what I currently have. I am calling the Fire Dept. Tomorrow and ask them what I should do. They all are battery operated. Since they are not installed yet, I can return them.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I had to replace the CO monitor and the Fire Dept. Came out to do it. I bought an exact replacement at ACE Hardware. The Firemen told me to replace all of the smoke detectors as well. I just went to ACE and bought all new ones, but they are the same as what I currently have. I am calling the Fire Dept. Tomorrow and ask them what I should do. They all are battery operated. Since they are not installed yet, I can return them.
Aren't yours hard wired with battery backup?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

My home is 8 years old and i replaced my CO monitor a second time and recently replaced all the smoke detectors with the 3rd CO monitor.

If a ne type of detector must be replace the current there are going to be a number of residents who will need to hire someone for their replacements.

I do not doubt the the state's concern that people die because alarms do not go off. However what i have experienced is they go off far too off when getting just a whiff of smoke
Old 01-01-2015, 04:17 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Folks....One must read the law carefully and not jump to conclusions.

The law basically says that IF your home has battery only smoke detectors and it is time to replace them, you must replace them with the new sealed battery 10 year smoke detectors.

If your home has hard wired detectors, the law does not apply.

If you have "battery only" detectors and they have been replaced less then ten years ago and are working fine, you may continue to use them , and replace the battery annually. However, because of the cost of batteries, you may want to replace the complete unit with one of the new 10 year sealed battery smoke detectors.

ALL smoke detectors, in my opinion, (and the NFPA's) should be replaced every ten years.

This law was enacted mainly because some older homes and apartments have had battery only smoke detectors installed where foolish people have removed the batteries for whatever reason, thus leaving their home without any smoke detector protection. These new detectors will stop that.

This new law also allows builders to install these types of detectors instead of the hard wired type in new construction, as another option....but that is another topic that at this time does not relate to The Villages......

SO...if your home has hard wired detectors this new law does not really apply to you. If your home does not, and you have "old" battery only detectors, when it comes time to replace them you will need to replace them with these newer 10 year types that cannot have the battery removed.

Hope that helps.....

Frank
Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Frank,

Thank you for an excellent clarification of the new law

All, by the way, Frank is excellent for home inspections I recommend him highly.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Frank. That is the way I understood it also.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

The smoke and carbon monoxide detectors used in my home in TV are First Alert brands.
We had a problem with the carbon monoxide detector. It made a series of 3 quick chirps once every minute. I googled the symptom and found it to be "defective unit". I checked the warrantee and found it to be 5 years. I called the 800# and they sent me a free replacement.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I have 10 different detectors in a 1500 sq.ft. home w/garage. With the new detectors I should be able to combine smoke and carbon!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I could have written this post. It's exactly what I did. I installed the new ones myself.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran member

I have the same wired smoke detector system and just bought replacements at Ace Hardware. The Fire Dept. Came out and installed them today they are not an expensive item
Old 02-19-2015, 01:01 AM

My neighbor had her detectors checked by Coastal Fire and Safety last November. The representative told her that she needed the new replacements - she paid almost $4,800 for 11 devices, including ones in laundry room, kitchen, garage, and attic. She is an elder and has difficulties to communicate. Coastal appears to take the advantage of doing an elder abuse on her. Seniors vs. Crimes could not help because it passed 72 hours cancellation period. I feel sorry for her whose fixed income cannot afford paying $142 a month for five years. DO NOT PATRONIZE COASTAL FIRE AND SAFETY!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.