Golf cart with defunct brake lights almost got slammed

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
You need to keep your foot on the brake for the brake lights to stay on. Since a golf cart does not have an engine or motor (both gas and electric carts) when the cart is stopped it is not necessary to hold your foot on the pedal so that the cart doesn't creep forward. This is the most likely scenario that occurred here. This is kind of the same situation that occurs with a car equipped with a standard shift. Instead of holding your foot on the brake sometimes one lets the clutch in and out if the car creeps a bit.
What?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
You need to keep your foot on the brake for the brake lights to stay on. Since a golf cart does not have an engine or motor (both gas and electric carts) when the cart is stopped it is not necessary to hold your foot on the pedal so that the cart doesn't creep forward. This is the most likely scenario that occurred here. This is kind of the same situation that occurs with a car equipped with a standard shift. Instead of holding your foot on the brake sometimes one lets the clutch in and out if the car creeps a bit.
Even more reason to alert people they can't sit in the middle of traffic without their foot on the brake to alert people behind them they're at a halt.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
What?
Sorry - Wow you are so right. I missed a word. Meant to say since a golf cart doesn't have an engine or motor "RUNNING" at a stop.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Even more reason to alert people they can't sit in the middle of traffic without their foot on the brake to alert people behind them they're at a halt.
That's the wrong answer. That is why I included the standard shift car example. There is no law that I am aware of that you must keep your foot on the brake pedal. Would it be safer - yes.

So without the usual I'm right your right, I would like to thank you for calling this situation to our attention. I will now think about keeping my foot on the brake pedal. I rather be seen than dead.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Default Thank you

You took the words right outta my mouth... "If HE HAD BEEN PAYING ATTENTION......" !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
"All of a sudden I realized that the golf cart ahead of me was at a dead stop" - it's your job when driving to know what is going on in front of you!

"I saw no brake lights working " you don't know if they worked or not?

"I narrowly missed hitting him" "It's horrible to think about how I almost hit him"- You scare me! Please tell me what this guy did wrong. He was sitting in the East bound lane waiting to turn North on Lisbon. Sounds correct to me. Maybe I am missing something. If so, I'm sorry.

IMHO - most MVAs in TV are not caused by equipment malfunction, but by driver error or someone being in a hurry.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 PM

I just found out last week that my brake lights were not working. I have no idea how long they were out, but it is possible that they have never worked since we bought the cart last year from the previous owner. I only found out because my brother was following me in another golf cart. I had previously checked my turn signals and flashers but didn't check the brake lights assuming they would work if the flashers worked. Turns out they don’t.

So check your brake lights and be alert to the possibility that the driver in front of you might not know their’s are not working.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
It would have been your fault if you hit him
I'm no way taking either side in this
When golf cart come to stop due to the design of their mechanics no need to have break pedal depressed after the initial stop resulting no break light .
yep, I don't sit at a stop with the break continuously pushed.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrandt View Post
I just found out last week that my brake lights were not working. I have no idea how long they were out, but it is possible that they have never worked since we bought the cart last year from the previous owner. I only found out because my brother was following me in another golf cart. I had previously checked my turn signals and flashers but didn't check the brake lights assuming they would work if the flashers worked. Turns out they don’t.

So check your brake lights and be alert to the possibility that the driver in front of you might not know their’s are not working.
Thank you.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird22154 View Post
You took the words right outta my mouth... "If HE HAD BEEN PAYING ATTENTION......" !!!!
I was paying attention, which is why I didn't hit him!

Your comment is totally uninformed and uncalled for.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrandt View Post

Well said. Listen up, Y'all.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
"All of a sudden I realized that the golf cart ahead of me was at a dead stop" - it's your job when driving to know what is going on in front of you!

"I saw no brake lights working " you don't know if they worked or not?

"I narrowly missed hitting him" "It's horrible to think about how I almost hit him"- You scare me! Please tell me what this guy did wrong. He was sitting in the East bound lane waiting to turn North on Lisbon. Sounds correct to me. Maybe I am missing something. If so, I'm sorry.

IMHO - most MVAs in TV are not caused by equipment malfunction, but by driver error or someone being in a hurry.
You hit the nail on the head. Kind of like seeing someone with their blinker on and then complaining that they didn't turn which happens more ofter then not. The guy in the cart did nothing wrong. the fact the the OP almost slammed into him tells me that the OP may have been preoccupied.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default cart

"CDA or "assured clear distance ahead law requires a driver to keep his motor vehicle under control so that he can stop in the distance in which he can clearly see."
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Kind of like seeing someone with their blinker on and then complaining that they didn't turn which happens more ofter then not. The guy in the cart did nothing wrong. the fact the the OP almost slammed into him tells me that the OP may have been preoccupied.

I very much agree with Sunny and with the people who designed vehicles with brake lights. They are there for folks to see that you are motionless when they are approaching you if you are stopped.

If the guy didn't have brake lights, he did do something wrong. YES HE DID.

Whazzamatta you??????????

My cart has brake lights. Sweetie's cart has brake lights and they stay on for awhile, even after you park and get out. I am really against any more rules and laws, but I think we should have identifying numbers on our carts and assuredly brake lights.
Having an old cart is no excuse. 14 people have died here in golf cart accidents in the last five years. EVERYONE should know to make their carts as safe as possible.

And drive like everyone else is an idiot. Because they are. I want you all to be safe and alive after the time of the year when there are so many of us here together.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...And drive like everyone else is an idiot. Because they are. I want you all to be safe and alive after the time of the year when there are so many of us here together.
Words to live by!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I very much agree with Sunny and with the people who designed vehicles with brake lights. They are there for folks to see that you are motionless when they are approaching you if you are stopped.

If the guy didn't have brake lights, he did do something wrong. YES HE DID.

Whazzamatta you??????????

My cart has brake lights. Sweetie's cart has brake lights and they stay on for awhile, even after you park and get out. I am really against any more rules and laws, but I think we should have identifying numbers on our carts and assuredly brake lights.
Having an old cart is no excuse. 14 people have died here in golf cart accidents in the last five years. EVERYONE should know to make their carts as safe as possible.

And drive like everyone else is an idiot. Because they are. I want you all to be safe and alive after the time of the year when there are so many of us here together.
Your brake light only stays on if you depressed the parking brake not the main brake pedal. If you would like the brake light to stay on while at a traffic light keep your foot on the main brake pedal. You are under no legal obligation to do this however it would be safer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.