Acrylic or glass windows -advice please?

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Default Acrylic or glass windows -advice please?

I'm getting estimates for replacing my old vinyl windows in my sunroom with acrylic windows. One company recommended glass instead of acrylic, stating that glass would be better for insulating from temperature changes, and will provide a tighter seal from rain. He said that there is always some "play" in the acrylic installations, which may allow some leakage. And also mentioned that acrylic scratches and mars very easily.

I asked if using glass would make it qualify as a regular "room", making my taxes higher. He said that law was changed in April, so my taxes would remain the same. I hadn't heard about this change - can any of you verify this?

I'm not sure if glass would be better than acrylic. Glass is an extra $800. I'd appreciate any of your opinions.
TIA!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Default Re: Acrylic or glass windows -advice please?

Just curious who you got your estimate from. I'm in the market for the same type of thing. Let us know if you figure out any good deals!...thanks. We have a gardenia, and the ballpark estimate from a place (can't remember the name) in Fruitland, is $4200- $4700 for acrylic. I have to believe that acrylic would mar easily. I'm thinking if the glass offers better insulation, it might pay for itself in the long run in energy savings.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM

My feeling is if the glass is only an additional $800 I would opt for that but I definitely would call the County Tax Assessor's Office regarding the room being taxed as an additional room before I did it.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I agree with Happy Villager, I'm sure the glass is better. Who is the contractor?
I'm sure all the folks who got glass prior to April won't be happy, I'd double check the tax change.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Eternal Member

I have had acrylic for 6 years and have not Had a problem with it. It is easy to clean, does not leak and is light weight. I don't see how glass is better than acrylic for "insulating" you from the heat. When it is 90plus outside glass will amplify more. I am very happy with acrylic. Check around before you succumb to the glass sellers. Sounds like a pig in a poke.

I think as long as they slide open they do no change you to a Florida Room type for taxes.

Please check acrylic vs glass vendors before you buy.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.